X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absinthe is coming back!

www.drinklucid.com

The guy who makes this was featured on the History Channel. He worked on reverse-engineering high quality absinthes from the past, and it was a fascinating program. It turns out Grande Wormwood and its active ingredient thujone aren't poison and aren't hallucinogenic. In fact, there is more thujone in sage and other common kitchen herbs, so you don't have to worry about cutting off your ear like Van Gogh after a few drinks. Heh heh.

He sells several products that can be ordered overseas (most of which are sold out at the moment,) but Lucid is being sold over here legally now. As of this year, "thujone-free" is defined as less than ten parts-per-million which most brands fall under (10mg/liter,) so more should be on the way next year.

There are some other brands around--some from Switzerland look interesting too--but overseas shipping charges are horrendous. Fortunately, there are a couple places in New York that Lucid and Kubler can be ordered from.

I'll have to follow this up around Christmas time.
    "They say that ignorance is bliss. But making fun of ignorant people is also pretty blissful." --Steve of collegehumor.com

I can't wait to try this stuff!

If anyone knows of any Oregon bars serving it, please PM me!

I might buy a bottle if I can't find it locally but it's pricey.

Comment

There are probably bars around that serve Absente which is most likely a taste-alike using a different species of wormwood. I've seen it in stores here (which is something considering how the Oregon Liquor Control Commission controls everything in this state.) I read a post or two saying it's a high quality product, but I'll wait for the real thing.

As for my purchase, these people have the best deal I've found so far. I'll report on their service here (can't order until payday on the 7th... d`oh!)
      "They say that ignorance is bliss. But making fun of ignorant people is also pretty blissful." --Steve of collegehumor.com

Comment

The UK has been allowed to sell what I believe is actual proper absinthe for ages. Including Red ABsinthe which is 70% with a lovely cinnamon aftertaste. I've got a nice little collection of absinthe bottles.

But that looks a gorgeous absinthe. I might see if they ship to the UK, if only for the BOTTLE.
        Bugger, they don't. Ah well, I'm sure I can get it *somehow*.
        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth Mad-Bassist View Post
          The guy who makes this was featured on the History Channel. He worked on
          I've always been curious about absinthe and the movie Moulin Rouge piqued that interest enough to look into the resurgence of it several years ago.

What I saw online wasn't too tempting. (Looked a lot like "tastes similar" but not too much like "same as back in the heyday") Then I saw the history channel piece and was intrigued again. This looks like the real deal. Besides the interest in a different kind of alcohol buzz, I think the ritual of drinking it looks fun.

Thanks for the cool tip and thanks to the others in this thread for the links.

Comment

Sometimes poster. Big time lurker here!

I finally got to try Absinthe this month when I went to Italy for a wedding. We stayed in this really small town with a bar next to our hotel. I was so excited when I saw the bottle lol. I love how the bartender set the sugar cube on fire before he served it to me. It was really good but very VERY strong! Here are some pics. Can't wait to pick some up when it's available here!

Sugar on fire:
            http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ber2007534.jpg

First sip:
            http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...eshotitaly.jpg

Comment

The UK has been allowed to sell what I believe is actual proper absinthe for ages. Including Red ABsinthe which is 70% with a lovely cinnamon aftertaste.
              That sounds pretty good. I'd try just about anything once.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I wonder how well it's going to sell after the novelty effect has worn off, since a lot of the demand is probably due to the "forbidden fruit" syndrome of people wanting something because they can't have it. After all [bad pun mode] absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.[/bad pun mode]
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                  But that looks a gorgeous absinthe. I might see if they ship to the UK, if only for the BOTTLE. Bugger, they don't. Ah well, I'm sure I can get it *somehow*.
                  You're mostly in luck. There are a few retailers of Ted Breaux's creations in the UK, two of which are in London. I don't know why I'm not seeing Lucid--I'm guessing he created it for the US market and the bottler came up with the label and name. The product comes from the Combier distillery in France, and they are here:

www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html (Hit the Retail Outlets link!)

I noticed they're all in stock again. Last week almost everything was sold out. I would love to order their Suisse Verte 65, but between the conversion from sterling pounds to dollars and shipping, it would be quite expensive for me--on the order of Johnny Walker Blue Label.

Mr. Breaux has reverse-engineered a few historic brands, and it looks like his products are the closest one can get without buying vintage bottles. That site is dedicated to offering the authentic experience (or as close as they can get) so the other brands they sell are probably great too. Kubler is made from an old Swiss recipe, so I plan to get both products from that NY site.

It's supposed to be a tasty product with a hint of bitterness in the background. From what I've read, several Czech and other products are low on anise and high on wormwood, and have turned off many to the idea of absinthe over the years. I think the problem is producers who are selling to the crowd that believes thujone is a hallucinogen, and anyone advertising thujone levels is suspect. The authentic product had very low levels according to Ted Breaux, and would be quite legal in the US. I have a feeling more brands will show up in the coming years so we won't have to spend a fortune importing them.

Oh yeah, lighting it on fire is a recent invention and isn't recommended--if the glass cracks, you could be dealing with a spreading alcohol fire (or at least the loss of expensive glassware!) Some of the absinthe enthusiasts display a no-burning logo on their sites and tell people to save the fire for 151 rum. I'm not saying anything bad about Slayergrrl's experience (quite cool really!) It's just the fire hazard thing.

Quoth wolfie
                  I wonder how well it's going to sell after the novelty effect has worn off, since a lot of the demand is probably due to the "forbidden fruit" syndrome of people wanting something because they can't have it. After all [bad pun mode] absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.[/bad pun mode]
                  Heh heh, good one! Yeah, there is a novelty effect, so I won't tell my roommates I legally purchased their Christmas present legally and locally. *snicker* I think there will still be a market for the mysterious liquor and its odd rituals and accoutrements. After all, before the French winemakers demonized it so they could start making money again, it was practically the national drink.
                  Last edited by Mad-Bassist; 11-04-2007, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I have tried absenthe......i dident like the taste and hated it effects on my body. one drink got me trashed.
                    My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Quoth monolayth View Post
                      I have tried absenthe......i dident like the taste and hated it effects on my body. one drink got me trashed.
                      Would you have the brand name or the source? From what I've been reading, it looks like much of the product out there is bitter because the producers don't know how to properly make it.

Then again, many people don't like anise flavor either. Heh heh.

I was just reading this: www.feeverte.net/faq-absinthe.html - interesting stuff.

20. Isn't absinthe terribly bitter?

No. Good absinthe has a very mild and pleasant bitterness, certainly less than that found in any moderately hopped beer. Wormwood is indeed the second most bitter plant on earth (after rue), but the bitter constituents in wormwood are purposely excluded from the product in properly made absinthe - only the desirable principles of the wormwood plant, notably its intense fragrance, make it into the liquor. The legend that the French sat at café tables by the thousands sugaring their absinthe to kill its nasty bitterness is due entirely to ignorance propounded by people who’ve never tasted absinthe, and assumed it must be bitter because there's wormwood in it. Nineteenth century drinkers had a far sweeter tooth than we do today, and even then, many drank absinthe without added sugar.

Comment

Working...
                      X