PSA: Philips CPAP/BiPAP Recall info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: Philips CPAP/BiPAP Recall info

As always: Consult your doctor. This ain't medical advice.

Do you use any CPAP/BiPAP/similar devices from Philips? There's been a safety recall in effect since April or so on many of their devices. You can get a free special filter from your sleep doctor that will mitigate the issue, so give them a ring (you can get one every 3 months). NOTE: The nurse at my doc said to disconnect the humidifier unit from the devices, as the moisture could encourage mold on the filter (I use a Philips Dreamstation, and there's an auxiliary connector hidden in there that the filter can connect to). Again, consult with your doctor's office!

In the meantime, *register your device* with Philips at the link below so they can send you a fixed version/whatever, whenever they get around to it.

Please send this to folks you know who use such devices or are considering them.

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthca...ons/src-update
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Even though I have seen this already, as a CPAP user, I appreciate you passing this along.

And for the record, I have a RedMed.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

No sweat I use one of the affected machines (with the aforementioned filter). It's what my small-town supplier had.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

It's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to letting others know about any commonly used medical device recalls.

Comment

Yeah, I have one of the recalled machines. I was not informed about a filter; I will ping the doctor's office about that!

The non-Phillips units are on three months' back-order, and that's once the in-network clinic actually processes the order!!

They sent me a note about it, but I thought it was a repeat of an earlier note that didn't apply so I didn't pay enough attention to it.

Ugh. And I'm 2500 miles away from both the doc's office and the in-network clinic.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

My doc's office told me that they are literally not allowed to charge for the special filters; not sure if that's 100% accurate, but see if they can mail you one for free or just the cost of shipping.

Comment

Working...
            X