Tourist sub disappears while diving to Titanic wreck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist sub disappears while diving to Titanic wreck

There's a truly terrifying ghost story in there somewhere.
    I mean, aside from the potential tragedy.

There were five people on board (not surprising given the cost).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65953872

Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

NPR did an interview with a retired US Navy submarine captain. I listened to the audio version while getting ready for work this morning.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/20/11831...missing-search

He gave the passengers about 1% chance that they'll be rescued alive. He said the families should be prepared for bad news.

In some ways, I feel like the ocean, especially deep ocean, is scarier than going into space.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
      In some ways, I feel like the ocean, especially deep ocean, is scarier than going into space.
      Both are unforgiving mistresses, Both are riding on the edge of disaster. Space is a little less forgiving.

Prayer for the passengers and crew.

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

This is all over the news in my city, largely because the Titanic wreck is just off the coast of us. The common belief here is that the submarine went down with all hands, and that there is very little hope of retrieving anyone alive. We're all hoping for the best, but deep in our hearts we are already mourning.

Comment

Well, it's over. It appears to have imploded, which at least was a quick death for those inside. They likely had no time at all to process what was happening.

There is a lot more to be said about it, but the vast majority of it belongs on Fratching.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

The aunt of the 19-year-old who died on the Titan said he was terrified of going but went along because it was a Father's Day thing.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I've seen a couple of posts from people saying that the media knew days ago that it had imploded, but that they spun the story out for <insert various crackpot conspiracy reasons>. Does anybody know where they might have gotten that information from?
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Te Navy heard an underwater sound anomaly on Sunday. After searchers found the debris, they put 2+2 together and figured that the sounds was the implosion.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/23/11839...implosion-navy

The searchers knew of the anomaly. As it was not confirmed, they would not have released the info,

Conspiracy theorist can always find justification for actions the may or may not exist,
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

My opinion, and only my opinion. I heard someone say that he felt that they were at or near the bottom of the ocean approaching the Titanic wreck when the implosion happened. I don't think that's the case.

Yes, submersibles do (for some reason) in a lot of cases like to approach the Titanic wreck from the front of the bow, and the submersible debris field had been found about 1,600 feet from the bow.

That said, if they lost contact with the submersible about an hour and 45 minutes into the dive, I don't think they made it to the bottom yet. I think (and I may very well be wrong) that the descent rate of these submersibles is very slow (on the order of 1 MPH or so), so if I am correct, there's no way they were at the bottom yet. And one hour and 45 minutes would put them at approximately 1.75 miles deep, meaning they had about another 3/4 or so of a mile to go.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                  X