Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh no, hackers get all #### ATM PIN numbers!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no, hackers get all #### ATM PIN numbers!

And they posted it publicly!!!

I just checked and mine is on there, I'm on the phone w/ the bank now changing it.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/pin.htm

Most banks are trying to figure out how they got all of these PINs.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

You're insane.

And I mean that in the nicest, most awesomely tongue-in-cheek way possible.

Alright, maybe without the tongue-in-cheek part.
    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

OMG I there's mine! And my other one!!!! Oh nooooes!!!!!

Wow, someone was bored...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Damn, they got mine too!

Somebody had a little too much time on their hands
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Actually, you could probably do it in Excel in just a couple of minutes.
          My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Oh noez... They have all of the Ford keyless entry codes figured out as well! Damn hackers! Actually, I found the Ford one on StumbleUpon one day. Somebody was a bit bored methinks and probably ran that sequence on an Excel spreadsheet.

(P.S. I don't actually condone going and trying the Ford thing, just like I don't condone stealing somebody's PIN for their ATM card.)
            Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Pardon my cluelessness but is this a joke?
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth GolfCart34
                (P.S. I don't actually condone going and trying the Ford thing, just like I don't condone stealing somebody's PIN for their ATM card.)
                Interestingly enough, I heard from a coworker (who just bought a 2002 Ford Explorer with the keypad) that it will lock you out for a minute after a certain number (four?) of invalid attempts. So it seems that they covered their bases pretty well with this feature.
                "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                  Yeah. I mean, look at it. There's no bank card numbers, no logos...just four-digit numbers starting with 0000 and going up to 9999 and any combination in between. I vaguely remember learning a formula where you could calculate how many combinations were possible with a set of numbers. I know Excel could calculate it, I just don't remember what the mathematical formula is.
                  My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                    All that's happened is that somebody has listed the 10,000 available 4-digit strings between 0000 and 9999. Eventually your PIN is going to be in there somewhere!

Watch the complexity rise, though, if you add another digit - you jump from 10,000 to 100,000 combinations, and so.
                    I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

For Fords with the keypad: If you press the "7" and "9" buttons at the same time, it will lock the vehicle. Just a little FYI.
                      Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Correction: It's not everybody's PIN, just those who haven't changed to one longer than 4 digits (they can be up to 16, depending on the card issuer)

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                          know Excel could calculate it, I just don't remember what the mathematical formula is.
                          if digits in your set are allowed to repeat, then the formula is as follows (sorry, can't find the mathematical symbols):

m(1) * m(2) * m(3) * ... m(n)

Where (1), (2), (3), and (n) are individual placeholders in your pin, and m is the number of digits in your set.

So, for instance, for the set (12345) being your valid digits, and a code up to 5 digits long, it becomes:

#combos = 5 * 5 * 5 * 5 * 5 = 3125

There's other varieties of figuring out how many combos, but that's the relevant one for this discussion.

Comment

Working...
                          X