X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've lost faith in humanity

I was busy looking through Yahoo!'s featured stories when I saw this gem
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080204...historyoffbeat

OMG the majority of people thought that Sherlock Holmes was real but over a quarter thought that Winston Churchill was made up

if anyone needs me I'm going to go binge eat and accelerate my path to diabetes.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

That made me laugh.

Well, I guess that says a lot about Churchill--the man was so great that he's been elevated to mythical status.

What gets me is the fact that so many people think Sherlock Holmes existed. I've known since I was a small child that he was a character made up by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Holmes was based on real character, yeah, but there's no real Holmes.

People are weird.

Comment

You know, I think it'd be one thing if that was a poll of Americans or Aussies, but Brits? That'd be like Americans thinking George Washington was a myth!
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
        You know, I think it'd be one thing if that was a poll of Americans or Aussies, but Brits? That'd be like Americans thinking George Washington was a myth!
        you mean he's not
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Amazing how stupid people are.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

You know yesterday I read this hilarious article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080201/...2LU43Zjtis0NUE

I passed it to a couple of co-workers, and they had NO IDEA why I found it so funny or why people got so offended. One of them looked it up on Wikipedia and said 'It's just some Russian book, why are they so freaked about it?'

I thought Lolita was the most infamous modern book in the English language, but I was shocked to find that many people at work had never heard of it.

A lot of people only see what's in front of their faces, and don't pay the slightest attention to things which do not concern them personally.
            Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
              Don't worry. Americans are stupid too. One poll (I'll see if I can't find the article online, someone sent it to me a while back) indicated that 90% of Americans know who the CURRENT PRESIDENT is.

Here's a similar article, but this one doesn't mention knowing G. W. Bush. It's sad that only 69% know Dick Cheney, though, and that only 66% know their respective state's governor's name.
              "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
                Don't worry. Americans are stupid too. One poll (I'll see if I can't find the article online, someone sent it to me a while back) indicated that 90% of Americans know who the CURRENT PRESIDENT is.

Here's a similar article, but this one doesn't mention knowing G. W. Bush. It's sad that only 69% know Dick Cheney, though, and that only 66% know their respective state's governor's name.
                Yes but polls can be skewed and their results easily manipulated. It could be possible that they interviewed elementary school children who, while some may know who the president is, many don't know because they have either never been told or aren't really paying attention to that sort of thing at their age. I know I didn't.

They don't poll every single resident (legal or not) in the US, just a handful of people from a certain area. They could have also interviewed a group of people who live in parts of the city where the immigrants haven't assimilated into the culture and are kind of in their own world within ours.

Believe me, with as much TV as most Americans watch, do you really think that many people DON'T know who the president is? Especially in an election year?
                Come on, don't be so gullible as to believe some poll made to make us look bad over common sense.
                "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                  I thought Lolita was the most infamous modern book in the English language, but I was shocked to find that many people at work had never heard of it.
                  Well, I'd heard of the book in the most basic terms (pedophilia), but when I hear "Lolita" I think "Japanese fashion trend advocating liberal application of petticoats, lace, and bonnets. See also Kamikaze Girls". But maybe that's just me
                  "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

You just NOW lost your faith in humanity? I've been inclined to cause the mental suffering of others since I was seven.
                    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Working...
                    X