Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest game to ever be confined to Japan.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest game to ever be confined to Japan.

OK, maybe not THE greatest, but I think for a game fully voiced in English, with Japanese Subtitles, with only minor direct translation issues, and considering the theme, it would have done well enough in America, I dunno why they never sent it over.

Anywho: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8
    "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

From the video (and trying to avoid Fratching, though I may fail):

"Freedom is dead in America."

I guess the general public doesn't want to realize just how fragile their freedom is.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

well, when the vice president leads a terrorist military coup on the white house and congress, and then creates a totalitarian regime, it's kinda hard to stay free.

Unless, of course, your president is willing to get in a giant fighting robot and fight back while screaming catchphrases such as 'How do you like me now?' 'Nothing is pointless!' and 'I'm going to hug you to death!'
      Last edited by Shards; 10-30-2008, 05:27 AM.

Comment

BTW, it's worth noting that this particular video game has a storyline where the country is taken over by the vice president in a coup d'etat, and the president winds up hopping into some sort of robot suit (looks like a super elemental, for those of you familiar with BattleTech), and he then goes out and kicks ass.

Had to point that out for anybody who might be tempted to try to turn this thread political.

This one is going to be too easy to misread and report a post. Way too easy.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
          BTW, it's worth noting that this particular video game has a storyline where the country is taken over by the vice president in a coup d'etat, and the president winds up hopping into some sort of robot suit (looks like a super elemental, for those of you familiar with BattleTech), and he then goes out and kicks ass.
          Have you actually played this game? Is it any good by comparison to the companies other robo games (Armored core series was notably by these same programmers.)?
          Last edited by Ree; 10-30-2008, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Eh, I prefer to stick to more realistic games. Like Mercs and Mercs 2. That seems a lot more realistic to me.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Shards View Post
              Have you actually played this game? Is it any good by comparison to the companies other robo games (Armored core series was notably by these same programmers.)?
              Nope, not actually played. Summarized the video for people. It's easy to just read this thread, and then report the overly political aspects.

To provide one example, consider your earlier post: Vice president leads a terrorist military coup. If you despise the current US gov't, that would be trivially easy to misread as commentary on what's gone on in the White House. And the part about the robotic suit would be very easily misread as stereotypical commentary on how the Japanese would solve it (look at the rubber monster movies of the 70's).

Just trying to prevent unfair embarrassment/harassment all around.

Comment

Alright, thanks for that.

@ Greenday: I can understand that. I'm willing to suspend disbelief, and I always really liked robotech games.

Additionally, they don't even pretend it's modern. It's slightly post-modern, but post-modern nonetheless. The final boss fight takes place with the president trying to stop the vice-president from firing a laser that will destroy America from outer space.

It looks pretty awesome to me, but again, I love me my robo games.

Comment

I'll have The SO look into it. If it's a computer game, PS2 or Gameboy/DS game, we can get out hands on it and give you a full report.
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It's XBOX.

I can see why this game was confined to Japan. The press would have a field day with it.

It's weird that it's only XBOX because as far as I know XBOX wasn't that big in Japan. The 360 did well but that's just because all the good games for PS3 were and still are ported to the 360 and it's a cheaper console.

I'll see what I can do about finding this game.

Oh and I think the battlesuit looks more like a BattleMaster Mech, but with a pair of LRM 20s. (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Battlemaster)
                    Last edited by DataJager; 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM.
                    I am Evil Queen's sex slave. It pays well.

Yes, I will fix your computer. Compensation is appreciated.
                    Current Data = 2.0 TeraBytes

Comment

Working...
                    X