X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 screenshots

http://www.tgdaily.com/slideshows/in...=200810301&p=1

-----Impressed anyone??? The only thing that got my attention about it is that it's supposedly NOT gonna be a resource-hog like Vista is.

I just hope that Bill Gates doesn't taunt the hackers out there when he releases it like he did with Vista.

And, fortunately for all involved, it doesn't look a thing like one of the popular desktops to use on Linux, KDE.

Comment

Is it just me or isnt that what Vista was supposed to look like?
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

While it got some neat features and all (I actually want it -- but then I heard some really good things from a person who's working at a company that's got a deal with microsoft -- they're running Windows 7 as their primary OS at their business [they're a developer, they've had their hands on it for a while]) ---- in a way it's a lot like vista. I saw something that said it'll have the same system requirements or maybe lower than Vista. Menus and such might be slightly better organized.... but overall if I were to see a screenshot and not be told it's windows 7 - I'd think "vista".

Besides.... once people install google desktop... custom apps...etc.... a number of the neat features you see probably won't be available.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
          The only thing that got my attention about it is that it's supposedly NOT gonna be a resource-hog like Vista is.
          My understanding is that Windows 7 is Vista under the hood, just with a revamped UI (essentially. Obviously there's more to it than that). They are supposedly not making any drastic core changes like they did when going from heXP to Vista, so anything that worked under Vista should continue to work under Windows 7.

Therefore, I'd think it'd be more or less as "resource-hungry" as Vista is now.

Now, take that with a grain of salt because I got that from Paul Thurrott (who I consider to be an idiot) and also because I am a Mac guy, so I don't have anything positive to say about Windows.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            it'd be more or less as "resource-hungry" as Vista is now.
            Wrong. Windows 7 is projected to use roughly the same as XP, and it will have a smaller footprint as well. The only real difference between resource usage in XP and W7 is going to be the video card, as apparently it will have similar needs as Vista in that respect, and that one only.

W7 is also supposed to be "crash-adaptive" or something like that. It learns each time a program crashes and works to circumvent that in the future. Everything that works in Vista should work in W7, meaning the huge issues with drivers at Vista launch won't be repeated. And to me, the most interesting, is it'll have a power-saving feature that will disable certain unused hardware or processor threads.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
              The only thing that got my attention about it is that it's supposedly NOT gonna be a resource-hog like Vista is.

I just hope that Bill Gates doesn't taunt the hackers out there when he releases it like he did with Vista.
              Looks nice, and if it's quicker than Vista, it can only be a good thing. I just hope they allow us to set up a default view for windows explorer and KEEP IT THAT WAY! *ahem* I absolutely hate tiles, icons, and all that when I'm looking for something. Give me straight-forward detail listing and I'm happy. Trouble is, all versions of windows since 95 seem to think changing back randomly is fine...

As far as the hackers, it won't matter whether their taunted or not. They'll come out in force to break into the OS.

Eric the Grey
              In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

The potential ability for Windows 7 to fix and prevent programs crashing (and I read one place Blue Screens from bad DLLs) is one great thing if it works.... of course the only way you'd know it does work is if it doesn't.

Comment

*looks at pic and wonders if they're pulling the Vista/Mohave prank again.*
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                    And, fortunately for all involved, it doesn't look a thing like one of the popular desktops to use on Linux, KDE.
                    Oh no, not even remotely similar.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                      *looks at pic and wonders if they're pulling the Vista/Mohave prank again.*

Nope, it's different enough when you actually look at it to notice. On the surface and general appearance it does look like vists (as it does use vista's graphics/etc stuff), but there are noticeable differences to people who know vista well, or just look closely at screenshots of the same item in both. Unless they've just got some different view I've never seen....

Comment

Working...
                      X