Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Canadian, and I'm relieved to find out that, in fact, we are not a US state! I'm worried, though, that since Alaska is apparently no longer attached to us, we might suffer some environmental disaster of catastrophic proportions....

Comment

How do you not know that Canada is not a sovereign nation? have they ever looked at a map?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        also i'm not sure but i think they also used a map without country names, or names in a different language... now granted that doesn't excuse them from picking Australia and New Zealand as being North and South Korea... but it wouldn't be as easy for one of us to read it perhaps...
        One close-up showed Australia labelled as Iran. I'm assuming that for the dude who said "I didn't know North Korea was so much bigger than South Korea" that they had it labelled as North Korea (and Tasmania labelled as South Korea).

While it's somewhat dumb to not know some major world countries (even if you don't know where Korea is, didn't you know AUSTRALIA??!), it is the case that these people were told those countries were Iran, Korea, whatever, and just accepted what they were told.

In front of a camera a lot of people would accept something they knew to be wrong because they either don't know what's going on, don't want to be edited out and miss their 15 seconds of fame, or are afraid that what they "know" is actually wrong - it must be, I mean it says "Iran" right there.

Comment

Quoth hopie144 View Post
          Oh. My. God.

So, I didn't know Alaska was an island.....
          Same here, and Canada is part of Alaska.

Quoth mattm04 View Post
          How do you not know that Canada is not a sovereign nation? have they ever looked at a map?
          Apparently, the average American can't point out America on a map / globe. I actually got scared in high school when we had a test and we had to name all 50 states (each state was numbered on a map). I got two wrong (got Colorado and Wyoming mixed up) but had the highest score - by a long shot. Most people failed - most didn't even know where New Hampshire was (and that's where we lived) - most thought we lived where Florida or California was.

Or, you can take the Miss Georgia approach: most people don't own maps?

Quote:
          What about the nuch-nuch-nuchlar reactor in Florida, it's leakin' or sumtin?

It's in Georgia, stupid!

Georgia is in Florida! Sheesh!
          Last edited by draggar; 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
          X