This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imressive and scary at the same time

Japanese scientists have found a way to display images directly from someone's thoughts onto a computer screen.

clicky here please
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

While that is indeed eerie in some respects (I would NOT want my dreams displayed for all to see, since our subconscious throws out some pretty f'ed up stuff!), this could be a godsend for people with disabilities such as cerebral palsy, Alzheimer's, etc.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
      While that is indeed eerie in some respects (I would NOT want my dreams displayed for all to see, since our subconscious throws out some pretty f'ed up stuff!), this could be a godsend for people with disabilities such as cerebral palsy, Alzheimer's, etc.
      I'd think there would be forensic applications too.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

interesting. i want to see if it actually works on a dream...

Comment

While there are many sinister applications of such a technology I can also foresee many many positive aspects to it as well.

Just think if they can crack interpretation of imagination of things someone has never seen it could revolutionize design. Just in general. For example someone like me who can't draw worth a damn could imagine something and have it visualized.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
            For example someone like me who can't draw worth a damn could imagine something and have it visualized.
            I'll second that. Most of my friends are drama/art majors, so next to them my pathetic drawing skills look even worse.

To be honest, though, I'd be happier if they could pull some of the voices out of my head, too. Not just the pictures.

Comment

If you take it a step further reverse engineering this and turning images into signals the brain can interpret would be the first steps to making technology ALA Geordi LaForge from start trek.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                I'd think there would be forensic applications too.
                that's the kinda scary part..

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                If you take it a step further reverse engineering this and turning images into signals the brain can interpret would be the first steps to making technology ALA Geordi LaForge from start trek.
                actually, I was watching a show on the Discovery channel about how there was a group of scientists doing just that... they've even been successful (kinda). They've been able to transmit into the brain of a blind person the difference between light and dark... not much, but a huge first step.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                X