X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Antibiotics! (Wegmans)

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=660835

this sounds awesome!

Free Prescriptions for Oral Antibiotics at Wegmans During Cough-and-Cold Season

For Release: 01/06/2009

Contact Information:

Jo Natale, Wegmans’ director of media relations, 585-429-3627

ROCHESTER, NY – If an antibiotic is just what the doctor orders during the ‘cough-and-cold’ season, your prescription won’t cost you a penny at Wegmans. The 72-store grocery chain announced that effective Wednesday, January 7, 2009, with a Shoppers Club card, there will be no charge for generic oral antibiotic prescriptions during the months when usage peaks: between now and March 31.

“A few months ago we began to lower prices on hundreds of food products in anticipation of lower costs in 2009,” says President Colleen Wegman. “There’s been such a tremendous response, it triggered discussion about other ways we could help customers and employees save.”

The program covers up to a 14-day supply of the generic oral antibiotics listed below. There are no limits on the number of prescriptions that can be filled, and it includes both new prescriptions and refills:

Amoxicillin
    Cephalexin
    Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim
    Ciprofloxacin (excluding Ciprofloxacin XR)
    Penicillin VK
    Ampicillin
    Tetracycline
    Erythromycin Stearate and Ethylsuccinate
    Doxycycline Hyclate (capsules)

“We understand the economic pressures families are facing, including the rising cost of health care, which is something I’m especially concerned about,” says CEO Danny Wegman. “We hope this program will help families better cope with those expenses.”

Wegmans estimates that the program has the potential to save its customers (across all market areas) approximately $1 million.

##

Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 72-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, and Maryland. The family-owned company, founded in 1916, is recognized as an industry leader and innovator. Wegmans has been named one of the ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ by FORTUNE magazine for 11 consecutive years. In 2008, Wegmans ranked #3 on the list.

Well that's just great. As if it wasn't enough that people were being overprecribed antibiotics when they didn't need them. So now we're making it easier for superbacteria to evolve. Thanks a lot you short term thinking idiots.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Not to mention that it's not that they don't need them, the normal cold or flu is caused by viruses, so antibiotics don't really affect them.

Rapscallion

Comment

dang and here i thought it was a good idea.

then again... super bacteria are most likely to evolve if you don't take the entire amount, and it also depends on the organism if it will evolve or not. yeah there are some that don't really evolve as much as others do. or at least that's what i learned in one of my bio classes (or human sexuality, i forget which)

personally i dont have medical insurance at the moment so, if i should get sick... that might not be a bad thing for me. good thing i dont get sick much tho

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          Not to mention that it's not that they don't need them, the normal cold or flu is caused by viruses, so antibiotics don't really affect them.

Rapscallion
          while that is true Raps, many people get ear, sinus or throat infections as a complication of their cold or flu

every single time I get a cold BANG ear infection

so that program will help people like that
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

The local Publix pharmacies are doing it, too.
            "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
            X