This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar time

woohoo the Oscar nominees have been announced!!!
    full list here http://www.oscars.org/awards/81acade.../nominees.html
    im i have a few things to say
    1- i understand why heath ledger was nominated, but robert downey jr should have been nomiated for iron man.
    2- valykire wasnt nominated for anything????? not even costume?????????? WHA-HUH?
    3- clint eastwood wasnt nominated for anything. At all....
    4 WALL-E is going to win at least two oscars, i know it.

Dark knight didnt get to many...
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Not sure about Robert Downey Junior.

Fine movie, and fine acting, but did it really show a huge wealth of emotion? Was he really pushed as an actor?

Rapscallion

Comment

his acting of the roll was really good, a few times i forgot i was watching a movie, i cried for him, he was wonderful.

Comment

It's actually pretty stupid why Dark Knight wasn't in for Best Picture.

Why? Timing.

Because it came out during the summer, it was regarded as a Summer Blockbuster which carry the stigma of big booms and little plot. Traditionally, blockbusters are automatically ineligible because of their "big boom, little depth" approach, and Dark Knight was no exception.

I'm willing to bet the ones deciding the nominations said "Whoops! came out in summer, brought in a crap load of money and has explosions! I've never seen the movie but it meets all the criteria of a bad summer blockbuster. Denied!"

Which is why I don't give a damn about awards in any media format. Just a bunch of glorified morons trying to justify their own existence by being pricks.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm really glad Slumdog Millionaire has been nominated. FANTASTIC movie whose promotional posters seem to have utterly disguised it. And the soundtrack is just amazing - it drives the emotion of the movie without once being schmaltzy or overdone. some of the tracks just soar.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              woohoo the Oscar nominees have been announced!!!
              im i have a few things to say
              2- valykire wasnt nominated for anything????? not even costume?????????? WHA-HUH?
              Just checked IMDB, and it was released December 25. That's pretty late in the year - it may have missed the cutoff date. If that's the case, it would be elligible for next year's Oscars.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Just checked IMDB, and it was released December 25. That's pretty late in the year - it may have missed the cutoff date. If that's the case, it would be elligible for next year's Oscars.
                It did not miss the cut off date. It was released in 2008 -- anything released between 1/1/08 and 12/31/08 is eligible. This is why a lot of movies will do "limited releases" in like 4 or 5 cities in late December and then do their ACTUAL release after the first of the year -- they don't want to fight with the Christmas movies, but they want to be Oscar eligible.

And the rest of this I'm going to keep kinda short so no one jumps down my throat BUT, the Oscars are not for "movies we've all seen before" (read: major blockbusters that don't really break the mold). They are SUPPOSED to be for movies that push the limits of their actors, make their directors work hard, push the audience to think. They aren't for the superhero movies that really have a built in audience and, usually, don't push their actors all that much (there are exceptions to that -- I fully believe Heath Ledger deserved his nomination but I do not believe The Dark Knight in any way deserved a Best Picture nomination).

It's also not for bad movies. If a movie is majorly tauted, but sucks, it's most likely not going to get a nomination. I have not heard good things about Valkyrie which is probably why it didn't get nominations. Also, you have to consider the personal opinions of the people voting -- Tom Cruise is not the most popular person in Hollywood and the industry, he was MAJORLY involved in that movie and, though maybe it deserves the nomination, their personal prejudices can show through. Fair? Maybe not. But it's the way it works.

I'm not saying you have to like the nominations. But if you're expecting a superhero movie to get a major nomination (Robert Downey. Jr -- yes he was good in the character, but I've seen him play that character before and it didn't push ANYONE at all), don't really hold your breath. To be honest, as much as I adore Heath Ledger's Joker and believe he deserves the nomination no matter what (and personally think he should win), fact is he probably would not have gotten the Oscar nod were he alive. Sad but true. It's the way the industry works.

*shrug*

I'll step off the soapbox now.
                I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  Not sure about Robert Downey Junior.

Fine movie, and fine acting, but did it really show a huge wealth of emotion? Was he really pushed as an actor?

Rapscallion
                  I have to say that RDJ *was* pushed as an actor in the role of Kirk Lazarus/Lincoln Osiris. He completely disappeared under the blackface and changed his voice, mannerisms and speech patterns so much it was like he was a completely different person. I kept having to remind myself that it was Robert Downey Jr. up there. He deserved that nomination.

Now I know I'm going to be ripped to shreds for this, but I seriously believe that the only reason Heath Ledger was nominated was because the poor guy died. Was he good as The Joker? Yes. Oscar-worthy good? No. Face it, it was a pity nomination and nothing else.
                  I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Quoth Severen13 View Post
                    I have to say that RDJ *was* pushed as an actor in the role of Kirk Lazarus/Lincoln Osiris. He completely disappeared under the blackface and changed his voice, mannerisms and speech patterns so much it was like he was a completely different person. I kept having to remind myself that it was Robert Downey Jr. up there. He deserved that nomination.
                    In Tropic Thunder, yes -- Downey was pushed and deserved the nod. Doubt he'll get the award, but he deserved the recognition of what he did. I didn't even know that was him until after the movie -- THAT'S what this kind of thing s for. I was remarking about someone saying he should have been nominated for Ironman earlier.

Though I disagree about Heath Ledger in a way. I think you're right that he wouldn't have been nominated if he had not passed away. However, I disagree that said nomination was not warranted. I think he deserved it and would have been upset if he hadn't been nominated (alive or not).
                    I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Working...
                    X