This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchmen News;AK's Not Happy *PROBABLE SPOILER WARNING*

Well, this is stupid. My reservations about the Watchmen movie have returned.

http://io9.com/5160960/how-911-changed-watchmen

New York CS'ers, would you or other New Yorkers really be that upset if they'd kept the end of the movie intact? I'm seriously wondering, as I've never lived so near the site of a tragedy like 9/11.

I thought the scenes involving Space Squid were some of the most effective in the book; especially when you see the crusty old newstand guy's body sprawled over the kid, trying to protect him.

How are they doing to end the story now? I hope there's no bullshit happy ending...that would ruin everything.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

This is why we can't have nice things.

Comment

I lived in Manhattan during 9/11. I was supposed to be in the area that day, but ended up oversleeping.

One of my best friends worked for Morgan Stanley. His office was in the North Tower, facing the South Tower. He watched the second plane hit.

I'm not sure anyone who lived here, or near here, wasn't affected in some fundamental way by that day.

BUT.

I wasn't happy that they pulled the Twin Towers scene from Spiderman 2.

I'm not terribly happy that they're using it as justification for changing Watchmen.

IF it was being changed because the cgi is better this way, and because it works better, artistically, then I'm ok with it.

Ah well, I'm going to see the midnight showing at Union Square, so I'll report back.

(BTW - might want to add a spoilers note, not everyone has read the books, or wants to know the movie ending.)

Comment

I already added a *PROBABLE SPOILERS* to the thread title.

Rapscallion

Comment

That's what I get for having customers come in as I'm about to post.

>.<

Can you tell it's one of those days?

Oh, and turns out Union Square is sold out, so we have to go to ass-end of Brooklyn. Ah well. At least I can drive down there, and don't have to deal with the local buses at 10:00 at night.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
            That's what I get for having customers come in as I'm about to post.
            Customers - they get in the way of a good conversation!

Rapscallion

Comment

Thanks, I was so pissed, I forgot the Spoilers thing.

I think really I'm just annoyed because I really, really like squids. Like obsessively. So Space Squid made me very happy (and showed off Moore's Lovecraftian tendencies).
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

well... as a comic book lover-
                There are some scenes in comic books that i dont believe should be in movies.
                In V for Vendetta (the comics) there is a scene (as people might now) involving a man taking a strong halucingenat and basically going crazy. I am happy that scene isnt in the movie.
                The comic series Kabuki is very graphic in at leas the first series (there are like 7) and there where rumers in like 2002 about a movie and i saw and still am weary about that i dea, because the imagery of a woman with her guts being held in be sear will and her hands stumbling through the rain drench streets to her mothers grave and stabbing the orb hold her ashes spreading them through the air to collapse into a coma at the foot of said grave?
                i dont think that would be a good for a movie.
                nore her eating her own finger tip.
                but here we are talking... dead people?
                being left out of a moive
                because people might remember 9/11?
                im alittle torn but i think leaving out the dead doesnt sound like a good idea... in the comic it lead a visual and emotional impact to the event and in the movie it would do the same,

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                  Ah well, I'm going to see the midnight showing at Union Square, so I'll report back.
                  Since I'm one of the few people I know who hasn't read the entire Watchmen series / Graphic Novel, I guess it won't matter as much to me, and I certainly won't have time to read it all before Monday nights premier showing. *checks his email again* I'm still hoping for tickets....

For those in Denver, Starland is giving away tickets to the premier...

Eric the Grey
                  (wonders why he's messing up his chances of getting tickets...)
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Well, I'll admit I don't know much about the book, and I don't have any burning desire to see the movie, but I was reading the article in Entertainment Weekly about it and it was saying how closely they were following the book...I don't think the article mentioned this...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

How come no one protested the Freedom Tower? That has the word "Tower" in it!

Remember the dipshittery that went around when people said "Two Towers" was too much like 9/11?
                      Kangaroo Squee!

Comment

I was fully prepared to be disappointed by the movie. But I loved it. It is a very faithfull adaptation (except for the end). It is detailed, has depth, well played, with some great movie moments and a cool soundtrack.

Sure there is stuff missing, but the film tells the same story, with same depth and breadth.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

*bounces in anticipation*

I have tickets for tomorrow's midnight showing. I get off work at 9:30, I'll go straight from here to the theatre and get in line. The tickets are bought, and now I'm even more excited!

Comment

I've got to wait until Sunday >.< Taking my brother and dad as a b-day gift for brother. But the anticipation is killing me...
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

im oging on friday if i can as a b day gift to me

Comment

Working...
                              X