X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scary time for our friends in NY

http://news.aol.com/article/low-flyi...panic%2F447862

Someone decided that having a low-flying 747 (aka Air Force One) near Ground Zero was a good idea...
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

I like the FSA's response:

"We made sure to notify law enforcement."

Yeah, the last time a plane was this low, there was full scale panic, and the city didn't know what the results were going to be. Now they equate low flying plane to an attack. Gee, I have an idea, let's start a false Anthrax scare. We'll let law enforcement know. Should have the same effect.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That is just unbelievable. How could they possibly not realise the panic that would cause? Yes, it's nearly eight years later, but some people still work there. Some people working in that district this week were working there eight years ago, and in the hearts and minds of all New Yorkers especially (and probably all Americans) low-flying 747s over skyscrapers = lots of death.

It was monumentally stupid. I cannot comprehend how this stunt went through so many layers of people knowing about it without anybody saying "Hey, d'you guys really think that's a good idea?"

Comment

This will go down as one of the dumbest decisions of the year.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

To be honest, they would have gotten a huge POSITIVE reaction if they came out and announced in all the media

Photo of AF1 and the Statue of Liberty being taken - come and see a piece of history in action

They would have gotten a bunch of people in the streets watching, but it would have been plain that they would be there with AF1, and a fighter jet [hell, get the AF or Navy jet acts out to do the fly bys at the same time, it would have looked fantastic. Imagine AF1 and the Blue Angels with the angels doing their famous half immelman roll or precision smokework ]
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Anyone else think this is just a huge waste of money. They are flying a 747 circling the Statue of Liberty to just update some old stock photos. Our taxes put to great use right there.

Comment

I didn't see it happen, although I did hear about it later, from a number of customers that were at work in Lower Manhattan/Financial District. Apparently the feeling of 'OH SHIT' permeated the entire neighbourhood, and people were trying their best to get the hell out of the area.

How someone who works in PR can look at this and sign off on it as a good idea has obviously never lived or worked in or near NYC. 9/11 is still a fact of life here, people still bring up 'where I was on 9/11' constantly, and the whole city is living in a sort of PTSD haze, where anything that could resemble a terror attack is immediately followed by panic and hopes/prayers that it isn't happening again.

/rant

Comment

Actually, they didn't just inform "law enforcement," they informed the mayor's office. They didn't see fit to pass it along.

A senior administration official said that an F.A.A. official notified Mayor Bloomberg’s office last week about the flyover. She said that Marc Mugnos, the director of operations in the office of citywide event coordination and management, was the official notified about the Air Force operation.
                http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ew-york-nerve/ for the whole article.

So they got in touch with exactly who they should have. Mayor's office dropped the ball, and screwed up what could have been a beautiful moment.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

This should explain why it wasn't reported to the public. It seems the FAA called for us NOT to be told.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/air.for....2.996457.html

Comment

What the fuck were they thinking?!!
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Gost2036 View Post
                      Anyone else think this is just a huge waste of money. They are flying a 747 circling the Statue of Liberty to just update some old stock photos. Our taxes put to great use right there.
                      I'd comment about that but... I wouldn't be able to keep it out of fratching territory.

Though I have heard that even the media has said that "photoshop would have been cheaper"

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        Though I have heard that even the media has said that "photoshop would have been cheaper"
                        Cheaper, easier, less panic inducing, safer, etc.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                        X