This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen nears record for perfect attendance

18 year-old highschool student has never missed a day of school since kindergarten.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...02293.html?g=0

That's pretty impressive.

And I was impressed when I had perfect attendance from 7th to 11th grade. LOL.

Since Kindergarten? Thats Crazy (for me anyway..I like to sleep too much)

Comment

Wow..straight A's and perfect attendance for over 10 years of attending school?!! I have to and her for that.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Impressive.... but I almost wonder about those disease(s) that are worse if you get them as an adult than as a child.... It did say she never had a cold or anything -- or did I misread that?

Comment

ok the main charcter scares me, shes a nervous break down waiting to happen the other girl rocks and so doea Austin the boy with no absences since 1st grade

Comment

Quoth JLRodgers View Post
            Impressive.... but I almost wonder about those disease(s) that are worse if you get them as an adult than as a child.... It did say she never had a cold or anything -- or did I misread that?
            It was mentioned she never had a BAD cold, so she could have had minor ones that you can just suck it up and go to school with. But yeah, I have to kind of wonder too. She's never gotten sick enough to need to take even ONE day off of school? I was sick enough with something every year that I needed to stay home at least 1 day (or at least it was a really good idea to give the body a much-needed rest to get a jump on recovery).

I will say it does bother me when kids get so congratulated with comming to school with perfect attendance. I mean, like its MY fault I get sick and don't want to spread it all over the school? Or that I had a special doc in Boston to see a few times a year that required a full day trip? Unless you have a valid excuse (such as sickness) you're SUPPOSED to go to school everyday!

I mean, I do give her props for going to school on days she could have taken off but didn't need to, but still, some kids CAN'T help it when they can't attend school some days, but they don't get an A for effort at all.

Comment

freaking amazing ... I hope that someone gives her a scholarship or something as a reward.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Cats View Post
                It was mentioned she never had a BAD cold, so she could have had minor ones that you can just suck it up and go to school with.
                Well that's better at least I guess.... now I'm just thinking "she's one of those" -- "those" being one of those kids going to school sick because they didn't want to mess up perfect attendance, and ended up getting the class and teachers sick.

Comment

My sister had a girl like this in her high school graduating class, had only missed two or three classes in her whole time in school, had a 98% average... Had no life, never did anything besides school work, got a bunch of honours and awards every year, received lots and lots of scholarships... And then never ended up going on to any kind of post-secondary education, because she was completely and utterly burnt out already. She ended up going to therapy for stress disorders.

Personally, I would rather miss school here and there than have no life.

Comment

Academic Excellence =/= no social life

Good for these kids; academics aren't being celebrated as much anymore, it seems.
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
                      My sister had a girl like this in her high school graduating class, had only missed two or three classes in her whole time in school, had a 98% average... Had no life, never did anything besides school work, got a bunch of honours and awards every year, received lots and lots of scholarships... And then never ended up going on to any kind of post-secondary education, because she was completely and utterly burnt out already. She ended up going to therapy for stress disorders.

Personally, I would rather miss school here and there than have no life.
                      The girl that was supposed to be our Valedictorian ended up killing herself because her grades started slipping (she was an all-A student until her junior year) and her parents went apeshit.
                      Last edited by Mike Taylor; 05-27-2009, 08:48 PM.
                      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Actually, I could see this happening for someone with a regular old immune system.

I get sick as much as the next person, but I have the bad luck of always coming down with something on my vacations. I have been sick the last three Christmases. I was also sick for my honeymoon. And my childhood trip to Disneyland.

I rarely missed school, and I think I've taken one sick day in the last three years. And if I were to be completely honest, I could probably have dragged myself in that day.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

A guy who graduated the year before me had a perfect attendance record, K-12 although it wasn't officially a big deal. What was a big deal is he has a high-functioning version of autism. My mom was a personal aid for him in 6th-8th grades, he attended the majority of his classes with everyone else.

When he walked across that stage (the 2nd to last, right before the Class President), he got a standing ovation by the entire audience and all of his peers. It was to him and his parents. That was more of an accomplishment then going to school every day for 13 years - although the joke was made that if anyone deserved an award for that, it was his teachers.

Comment

Working...
                          X