X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student denied diploma for blowing kiss

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526642,00.html

-----I dont understand how the school district can actually get away with this! I'd be contacting a lawyer about this.

I understand wanting everyone to keep calm so that no one steals anyone elses thunder and everyones name is heard..BUTTTT bowing and blowing a kiss is hardly a disruption. I had beach balls and glitter at graduation also. I think that's a little out of line, not to give him his diploma.....

Comment

Oh please. How was anything that student did disruptive or disrespectful? I understand there are rules in place so that nobody makes a scene or takes away from the decorum of the event. Heck, I think my class would've sent blow-up dolls bouncing around while we were waiting for things to get started if we thought we could get away with it.

In fact, during my graduation, one of the "slower" kids in the class yelled "I just graduated! Let's go get some beers!" after he got off the stage. I think he was talked into it. There wasn't anything done to him about that.

Even if you think there should be some consequence, denying him his diploma doesn't fit the crime. You can't just wipe away four years of scholastic achievement just to make a point.
      Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 06-17-2009, 02:15 AM.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

O.o The fricken hell?!

Comment

Sounds to me like someone (the school board person) was on a major power trip. My daughter just graduated last Friday and It was a great ceremony. There were funny parts and serious parts. During one musical section, the inflatables came out but were put away as soon as the music was over. The musicians were all part of the class and even took part in the beach ball fun. I would hate to think what would have happened here if someone had tried to pull a stunt like that school board member did. Totally uncalled for and out of line in my opinion.

Comment

is this a forever deinal? it doesnt even sound legal

and it reminds me a bit of the school i once heard about that decided to be anti-thong. and made the girls show their panties publically before they could go to the dance

stupid rules designed for power trips

Comment

At my graduation, both of the assistant priciples were patrolling the entrances to the gymnasium. Why, you ask?

Every student (especially females) had to unzip their gown and show that they were not naked underneath it.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

We're okay for the moment, but abuse of power's close to Fratching material, so just a friendly reminder now to keep clear of debate-y posts.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

So if I understand right he's still technically a graduate but just doesn't have the paperwork showing that?
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I'd be talking to a lawyer and wouldn't even deal with those "people". I'd also be campaigning to get those school board members voted out next election.

Comment

I'm torn on this, to be honest. I'm also wondering if the kid wasn't a constant show-out, class clown, and this was the final straw on the camel's back. If the rules for the graduation ceremony said not to wave or blow kisses or anything like that, then, well, them's the rules. Honestly, at my high school, the same thing probably would have happened. Of course, we had a very strict dress code (girls - white dresses and heels, guys - black or blue dress slacks, a button up shirt, and a tie) and the Principal himself checked all of us, that our caps were straight, that those with cords or sashes were wearing them properly. Each of us walked up, got the diploma, shook the School Board President's hand, and got a flower to give to our parents after the ceremony. It was celebratory but serious. We went outside afterward to throw our caps, and much silliness occured AFTER the ceremony.

And yes, I would deny the paper diploma to those who do something like leave the ceremony early, pull out a beach ball or fog horns, or do something else that would distract from someone else's moment.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

heh. class clown. I remember the one from my sister's senior class.

they announced the candidates for homecoming kind and queen. he was one of the choices and tripped (on purpose) on his way up. there was also some joke about him being pregnant or something like that

for graduation he kept the joke running and received his diploma with a basketball under his clothes.

and no the school didn't do anything against him. He pretty much charmed them all. (actually i think he won the vote for homecoming king too)
                        Last edited by PepperElf; 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

The wording in the article makes me think he just didn't get his diploma in the ceremony. My high school had people who didn't bother going to graduation and just had the certificate mailed to them.

Comment

Those school board members should be praying they didnt piss off too many people. In this country school board members are ELECTED by the people. The board hires the superintendent. So they work for the people, not the other way around.

Comment

Unless something else was involved this was a major over reaction. At my graduation everyone unofficially got one warning. Start a beach ball once and your OK ans long ash you behave for the rest of the time. The Vice Principal was really strict about graduation, but the Principal (who is in charge of it) considered it to be more of a combination ceremony/celebration and therefore the one warning rule was in effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X