This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other

I just found this article about a white police officer who got cornrows and was told to remove them, when Officers of another ethnicity were allowed to have them. This actually reminded me when I was trying to grow my hair out and the bangs kept hanging in my face. I didn't think barrettes or a headband looked professional, so someone offered to braid my bangs to keep my hair out of my face; think a of a headband, only of braided hair. I was told I could not have braids in my hair because I was not the 'appropriate ethnicity.' Go figure.

http://news.aol.com/article/white-ph...homas%2F679781
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    I was told I could not have braids in my hair because I was not the 'appropriate ethnicity.'
    I can't speak for the article, as it was rather spare with the details, but in your situation the response should have been "That's racial discrimination which is illegal."

If anyone was stupid enough to push the issue at that point, just get them to put it in writing and bump it to HR. If it is still an issue, then cash out through the legal system. I'm sure your lawyer would be happy to put the company on the Xmas card list for providing such a slam dunk case.

Comment

The only point theyd be able to make is if his hat did indeed not fit..then I could see why he couldnt keep them in. But id wonder how he wasnt able to bet his hat on, but others with cornrows could?? IDK...need more details.

And seriously OP...that was stupid of your (im assuming old) job. I wouldve braided it anyways then asked for the policy stating it wasnt allowed. But then..im just a biatch like that.

Comment

that's one thing i liked about the military
        they had specific rules and regulations and they were in writing.

Comment

Working...
        X