This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balloon boy a hoax?

So, apparently, the whole world was riveted to their TV yesterday watching the drama of a 6 year old in a runaway weather balloon unfolding before them.
    I was at work so I didn't hear about it until I was on my way home.

I caught a bit of a news bulletin about the balloon landing and the child being missing, and my heart sank as I thought about those poor parents, and that poor scared little boy who might possibly have fallen thousands of feet to his death.

I was happy to hear that the little boy had been found safe and had been hiding in his house all along.

Now, after they did their talk show circuit last night, it seems the whole thing might have been just a publicity stunt.

As Wolf Blitzer asked questions of the family, the little boy, with open honesty typical of children his age, blurted out, "You said we did this for a show..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6UONWCq7A
    Last edited by Ree; 10-16-2009, 11:36 AM.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

I wasn't sure about it until I saw the balloon land - but it was fishy from the beginning/

If you noticed the balloon was very small (roughly 6' high, it wasn't much taller than the man who was "chasing" it on the ground).

Earlier Mythbusters tested if carnival balloons could lift a child.

The amount of balloons they needed to lift a smaller and younger child was crazy - something like 10,000. That is FAR more volume of helium that the weather balloon had in it (and that's also filled with helium).

There is no way a weather balloon could not only lift the child, but also this is mainly made of Mylar (like the silver party balloons), I don't think it could take the stress of a child in the basket.

It is clearly a lack of judgment on many levels plus a very high level of irresponsibility on the children's part.

Hoax? If it isn't, it is very close.

Edit: it was 3,500 balloons, not 10,000 but still FAR beyond what the weather balloon held.

Video link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8i7ESjCw3o
    Last edited by draggar; 10-16-2009, 11:54 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

The kid can't even sit still for the short interview, so I have no idea how he was able to sit so quietly for 4 hours in the attic.

Here's another clip where Wolf tries to pry a little more into the "We did this for a show" line, and the father gets hostile.

What I find very telling is that the father never actually asks the little boy any more questions, but speaks for him instead and tries to explain it all away.

I have seen a lot of people caught in lies who try to change the focus away from their dishonesty by getting angry and blustery and throwing it back on the person who caught them in the lie.

Comment

I'm voting for publicity stunt, I just wish there was enough proof to arrest somebody for this hoax.

But still, the family ought to recieve the bill for all the manpower and equipment wasted on this; there is _NO_ way the taxpaying public should foot the cost of this epic level of parenting fail!

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
          Edit: it was 3,500 balloons, not 10,000 but still FAR beyond what the weather balloon held.
          You have to remember that a weather balloon isn't the same as a party balloon. The amount of material for party balloons to hold the equivalent volume of helium that a weather holds is a LOT more weight to offset. A single weather balloon is designed to lift 50-100 pounds of weight without being fully inflated. Don't forget the story of Lawnchair Larry who vastly underestimated the lifting power of a weather balloon and shot up like a rocket to 15'000 feet before stabilizing.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            You have to remember that a weather balloon isn't the same as a party balloon. The amount of material for party balloons to hold the equivalent volume of helium that a weather holds is a LOT more weight to offset. A single weather balloon is designed to lift 50-100 pounds of weight without being fully inflated. Don't forget the story of Lawnchair Larry who vastly underestimated the lifting power of a weather balloon and shot up like a rocket to 15'000 feet before stabilizing.
            True, but don't you think it would have been elongated, a lot, while in the air. Shaped more of an oval (going up and down) as opposed to a flat saucer if there was a child in it?

Granted, at times like this people, especially parents, may not think so rationally but still...

This thing didn't look fully inflated but a 6 year old is in the 50-100 pound range (I don't know how much 6 year olds weigh).
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I came in from work and saw the live coverage on HLN on the tv in the kitchen.

And this guy calls himself a "scientist." Where'd he get his degree from? A cracker jack box?

A panel of several guests were discussing the story on Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell and there was much discussion about the parents' lack of responsibility, especially after it was mentioned that the father chases storms and takes the children with him.

The hoax perspective has also been discussed and several callers on both Issues and Nancy Grace also mentioned they believed it to be a publicity stunt as well . . .

What I'd like to know is if the parents will have to repay all the money that was spent on the extensive search and rescue mission for their child?
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Apparently when Beyonce heard about it, she said "If he liked it he should have put a string on it!"

*dodges flying salmon*
                I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                  Apparently when Beyonce heard about it, she said "If he liked it he...."

I'mma let you finish in a minute but THE HINDENBURG WAS WONNA DA BEST BALLOONS OF ALL TIME!!!!!"
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

The Weather Channel was all over this story, too.
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                      The Weather Channel was all over this story, too.
                      Of course. They wanted to know weather or not it was a hoax.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                        They wanted to know weather or not it was a hoax.
                        *Grooooan*

Now that was bad. LOL.

I feel bad for the little boy.
                        Puking live on national TV twice...obviously the little guy caught hell from his dad, and was nervous about what he was going to say.

I saw clips from the "Wife Swap" shows where the father lost his temper and it wasn't pretty.

Apparently, he didn't call 911 right away.
                        His first calls were to the FAA and the local news station, then to 911.
                        Found this in one of the news reports:
                        It was not the first time someone from the Heenes' home has dialed 911. A Colorado sheriff's deputy responded to a 911 hang-up in February at the home, hearing a man yelling and noticing Mayumi Heene had a mark on her cheek and broken blood vessels in her left eye. She said it was because of a problem with her contacts.

Richard Heene said he had been yelling because his children stayed up past their bedtime. The husband and wife said nothing had happened, and the deputy concluded he did not have probable cause to make an arrest
                        The producers of "Wife Swap" apparently had been in talks with the family about a TV show, but the deal has been cancelled.
                        The father had pitched a show to TLC but they passed on it.
                        Last edited by Ree; 10-18-2009, 12:08 PM.

Comment

It now looks as though charges will be filed against them:

Authorities search house in 'balloon boy' case

Eric the Grey
                          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

not to mention the mythbusters already covered the questions on wether or not a balloon can be used to induce flight.

yes, but you need a lot of them.
                            more than what the family had that's for sure

Comment

Mythbusters or not, apparently, authorities did check with a university professor to see if it was even possible for the balloon to hold a 37 lb child.
                              It was determined that the type and size of the balloon could hold a payload of up to 80 lbs.

I highly doubt they would go off half cocked and spend all that money and effort without checking to see if the thing could even hold the child.

Comment

Working...
                              X