This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Checking

I think people have started to notice those among us who don't check signatures on credit cards...

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

And part two:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit_card/
    No good news is good bad news

That is beyond amazing! I wish I had the nerve to try that
    ISSP

Comment

That's really scary.

I have written on the back of my debit card "Photo ID" and NOBODY ever checks it. I present ID every time I use it and tell the clerk (in a rather angry tone) that they need to look at my ID. It may not do much, but I just hope that forcing the clerk to do it will help them start the habit.
      ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Please dont assume its always the clerks fault
        I work at a movie theater, in concessions we arent instructed to check for id and with the sheer volume of people we get it wouldnt be practical with the amount of staff we have due to time constraints before movies start

Comment

Quoth Ryu View Post
          Please dont assume its always the clerks fault
          I work at a movie theater, in concessions we arent instructed to check for id and with the sheer volume of people we get it wouldnt be practical with the amount of staff we have due to time constraints before movies start
          Not sure if this was directed right at me, but if I have written on my card "Photo ID," then they need to check my ID. If they aren't matching signatures with cards, then there is something wrong on their part. When they turn my card over to look at my signature, they will see "Photo ID." This should prompt them to ask for it.

They don't need to check everybody's ID. But if I have "Photo ID" on the back of my card in place of a signature, then they'd sure as heck better check it.
          ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

There have been threads around this topic before (Ive seen the website, its a crack up isnt it!) I love how be becomes more and more ballsy!

Depending on where you live, writing something other than your signature on your CC can void them, you can write your signature AND "see ID" etc but you should sign your card. As you can see from your past experiance, writing it has no effect.

Im not trying to start something, Im not telling anyone what do to, simply stating what Ive been told on the matter. I dont check, simply because 90% of my customers are members, and I know them from site.

At the craft store we had to check but we had far more people to deal with. Ive had people get really angry when Ive refused to take a CC with no signature, and unless I can see two pieces of ID, im not taking it if they sign it in front of me.
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I had a CC a few weeks ago in which the signature consisted of a little drawing of a tshirt with a letter on it. (the guy's last name was something-shirtz)

I laughed

(I check signatures, but I've already had to verify the person's identity to give them their drugs already, that and they don't need to sign if the total's under $50)

Comment

I'm sorry but I just cant check 500 peoples check id credit cards a night without having a steady stream of people for 8 hours straight and a good amount of people not getting their food or missing the beginning of their movie
                I would love to be able to check the id of everyone who wanted it but time is simply too limited and people are in a rush, even 90% of the people with check id dont want to wait when their movies about to start so I do not think we're in the wrong not checking id in that situation

Comment

Yeah I don't blame cashiers for not checking IDs. I consider it my responsibility to make sure I don't lose my card, and if it is lost or stolen it's MY responsibility to cancel it quickly so no one can use it. It's also my responsibility to check my credit card statement for purchases I didn't authorize so i can be refunded if someone uses my card before I notice it missing.

Any thief worth his salt could easily forge a signature so it's not like cashiers checking the signature is a very effective way of preventing credit card fraud.
                  Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Most people's handwriting/signature is chicken scratch or worse anyway. I have pretty nice handwriting but my signature in no way reflects that.

At ye ole BBV we would bend over backwards to protect a person's BBV account from fraud (at my store anyway). We did not check ID on credit cards as we figured it was the credit card owner's responsibility to take care of their other accounts- not ours. However, in that type of situation the halting of account use generally meant that a theif also didn't use any other cards while in our store either.

I can't remember any incidents of stolen cc card use in our store- probably just for that reason.
                    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                    HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                      Depending on where you live, writing something other than your signature on your CC can void them, you can write your signature AND "see ID" etc but you should sign your card.
                      Agreed- if for no other reason than the fact that not signing your card and just writing "SEE ID" (or something similar) technically makes it invalid. All cards say on the back along the lines of- "AUTHORIZED SIGNATURE- Not valid unless signed".

I used to have a card that had my picture and my signature printed on the front of the card...I signed the back and also wrote "SEE FRONT" ...that way they could verify my signature AND picture.

I still sign my name and write CHECK ID or something on the back...

As an aside, how sad is this? I've been a member of the Customer's Suck community since 1998 or so and I only have 3 posts on this newest incarnation. Darn my new job with privacy laws.

Comment

Working...
                      X