This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEXAS plane Crash

hope it was none of your friends in that office, what an awful thing.
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

I don't think I know of anyone that lives or works anywhere near Austin. No one was visiting either. Still that's just awful, and they say it may have been intentional. Just terrible....

Comment

Wait...what happened?

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
        Wait...what happened?
        Somebody crashed a plane into an office building in Austin.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

And the story keeps getting weirder. The guy set his house on fire, then stole the plane and crashed it. Apparently, he posted an anti-IRS memo to the internet earlier--I looked at it, and it's a loooong rant.

Oh, and the building he crashed into? Yeah, it had a federal office in it.
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
            And the story keeps getting weirder. The guy set his house on fire, then stole the plane and crashed it. Apparently, he posted an anti-IRS memo to the internet earlier--I looked at it, and it's a loooong rant.

Oh, and the building he crashed into? Yeah, it had a federal office in it.
            Yeah, seems a little wiggy in the wacky-woo. Fortunately, it appears everybody, or at least most everybody, made it out alive.

Comment

My husband and I have friends in Austin, but they're okay. Huzzah for Facebook updates! I don't like Facebook all that much, but it's good for stuff like that. I was able to check one of their status pages and they'd already posted a "don't worry we're okay" message.

Comment

I work just a few miles from the crash site and live just a few miles from his house he burned down...craziness. Current news says they've found two bodies. No IDs released yet, but speculation is that one is the pilot, Stack, and the other is an unnaccounted-for employee in the building. I'm still trying to understand what he thought this would accomplish, other than killing innocents and leaving his family homeless. Of course, reading his suicide rant it seems clear that in his world it was all about him, so he probably didn't think about consequences to anyone else.
                My Space

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                  Actually it was his plane so whatever his troubles with the IRS are I'm going with self induced.
                  How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I have a good friend that works just about a mile down the road from there. All the rest of our family/friends (that we know of) were nowhere near. I had to put DH on an airplane to Alaska yesterday afternoon, and when I got home from work at 11am, I told him to turn on the TV--that he might not be flying out. We were thinking the airport might be on lock down.

I will know more on Monday if any of my coworkers/students were affected. Right now, they have 2 bodies of whom they think they know the identities, but are not releasing until official identification is confirmed.

Austin was long overdue for something like this, but thankfully, all the emergency services have been training for it for decades.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Wait...Austin was overdue for a terrorist attack? Please explain.

Also, first I heard of it was when I was told F-16s had been scrambled.

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                        Wait...Austin was overdue for a terrorist attack? Please explain.
                        I thought she meant Austin was overdue for a disaster to test their emergency responses.

Comment

That still doesn't sound very nice...

Comment

What I meant was, that since Austin is the capital of Texas, and we have the VA and the IRS offices here, plus Dell, and tons of other hi-tech industries, and heaven only know how many universities and colleges, including UT, that it's a wonder that this is the first time anything has really ever happened. Even when the Air Force Base was here, nothing happened. Austin has fallen into complacency. We still think we are a sleepy little town, even though the metro area has a population of over 1 million people.

IPF was close. Not just to test our emergency services, but Austin was overdue for a disaster in general.

I also just found out that one of my friends was in the building when the plane hit, but he got out with only minor injuries.
                            Last edited by Primer; 02-20-2010, 02:03 AM.
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Glad to hear he's okay, though if you think about it, my hometown is a juicier target. San Antonio is home to USAF Air Education and Training Command, and Lackland is the "Gateway to the Air Force" where all enlisted personnel are trained. Lackland also contains all of our personnel commands, etc. There's also Camp Bullis, Kelly and Brooks (including BAMC) and Ft Sam Houston.

Comment

Working...
                              X