X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobby to change Navy name to include Marines

http://www.prlog.org/10545056-lee-er...t-of-navy.html

Interesting. The proposal is that the "Department of the Navy" would be renamed to "Department of the Navy and Marine Corps"

One of the reasons behind this is because of how serious the Marines are when honoring their fallen. (for reference, watch "Taking Chance" - and have tissues ready).

Apparently when the family receives the condolence letter it bears the Department of the Navy letterhead, "with no mention of the marines."

Quoth R. Lee Ermey
    “When the family of a fallen Marine receives a condolence letter, the Marine Corps name should be proudly mentioned,” Ermey said. “I don’t think that’s too much to ask for.”

...I cannot repeat what my father (Navy vet) just said about this proposal.

As for me, I don't see the harm of it.

Comment

It has always been the Department of the Navy.

And from what I've read this would be bucking the trend towards more unification of command (kind of like Canada).

Comment

What's wrong with unifying command. Nearly every day I'm told how we're a 'purple' force now.

Comment

I think it should be called Department of the Alliance of Marines and Navy.

And if they don't repeal the "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" rule, they can be referred to as DAMN Straight.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

"DAMN" ROFL!

But seriously I don't see the harm of it either
            especially when it comes to the condolence letters

Comment

I see this developing into a big brawl between the "stowaways" and the "tour pilots".
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

lol.
                i do engage in the rivalry a little - but only at the level of good natured fun.
                i found their official petition page and cast my squid signature

Comment

I think that they should just make the marines their own DOD. Because I have NEVER seen a Jarhead who wanted to be associated with a Squid (or vice verse).
                  They are MARINES! (just not on paper.)

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                    What's wrong with unifying command. Nearly every day I'm told how we're a 'purple' force now.
                    I don't see the problem with unifying command other than losing some of the various traditions.

Comment

Quoth Titi View Post
                      I think that they should just make the marines their own DOD. Because I have NEVER seen a Jarhead who wanted to be associated with a Squid (or vice verse).
                      I'm not a Marine (and I don't play one on TV either), but my understanding is that "Jarhead" is a perjorative term, with "Leatherneck" being the semi-official colloquial term (and the name of a publication by the USMC).
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Titi View Post
                        Actually marines love Navy Corpsmen

The marines do not have their own medical personnel, they use navy corpsmen. In a military area, the different service members will tend to go to their own bars [officers tend to stick to their bars, enlisted to their own, navy with navy and marine with marine] but corpsmen are always welcome in marine bars.

And remember, you can always tell a marine, but you cant tell him much!

[navy dependent, I'm allowed to tell this joke ]
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                        X