This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best use ever of the Irish Language

Carlsberg (known for their advertising, IMHO) definitely came up with the best use ever of the Irish language.

I am not going to translate it at this point in time, because it may take away from it a little.

Youtube linky

If anyone wants to add what they think is being said feel free to do so (hint: if it makes sense, you are most probably wrong), and I will add the actual translation later.

C.
    Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Okay, translation time. I would have posted it earlier, but I was at work.

As I said earlier, if it makes sense you are probably wrong with the translation.

An bhfuil cad agam dul amach go dti an leithreas May I go to the toilet please
    Agus madra rua And red dog
    Is maith liom caca milis (caca milis) I like cake (cake)
    Agus Sharon Ni Bheolain And Sharon Ni Bheolain
    Ta geansai orm I am wearing a jumper
    Ta scamaill sa speir There are clouds in the sky
    Tabhair dom an caca milis (caca milis) Give me the cake (cake)

(advert voice over)

Ciunus bothar cailin bainne Quiet Road Girl Milk

Yes, it is just a beautifully spoken stream of nonsense, not that anybody would have known any better.

And yes, I have used Irish in a similar manner (though I did not succeed in pulling a lovely looking clubgoer )
    Nothing in this world will ever be truly idiot-proof as long as they keep making more effective idiots... -EricKei

Comment

my guess is it's total gibberish...
      If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
      ^_^

Comment

more importantly... the bar tender and other customers challenged him on his heritage
        but can any of them say if the man said stuff properly?

reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IElZBKhVi-k

Comment

lol as my post is posted after the translation

heh. my bad...
          If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
          ^_^

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
            lol as my post is posted after the translation

heh. my bad...
            The time says we were both writing posts at the same time. I would let you away with it.

Interestingly, an American once asked me to "speak Irish".

I replied with something like "Conas a ta tu? Ta me go maith buiochas le dia." (How are you. I'm good, thanks be to God.)

He told me "No, I said speak Irish. Say 'Kiss the Blarney stone.'"

I obliged and was then put into a recording studio to record some spots for his radio station because he "liked my Irish accent"

Note: While I am Irish, I am descended from the English and Scottish, and do not have what I would term an Irish accent.

Comment

Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhmnOpoGAPw
              Testing
              "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Working...
              X