This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
    I had a stream going and I started to play a game, only checking back when the tide was going out really fast cause it looked cool. Then I heard it was over and while glad it wasn't bad, I can't believe I missed the mayhem.

http://thepeoplescube.com/red/riched...4a7a43d7f8.jpg
    Last edited by Greenday; 02-28-2010, 02:46 AM.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Have there actually been any tsunamis to speak of? I haven't been watching the news.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
        I don't understand, a tsunami is about to hit Hawaii and there are loads of people on the beach waiting to welcome it, as shown on news feed, sky uk?
        Somewhere, Darwin cackles in anticipation...

This is where I'm glad to live in Wisconsin for once. Sure, we get testicle-shatteringly cold winters, but never any earthquakes. I don't think anybody would know what to do if there ever was an earthquake around here.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Somewhere, Darwin cackles in anticipation...

This is where I'm glad to live in Wisconsin for once. Sure, we get testicle-shatteringly cold winters, but never any earthquakes. I don't think anybody would know what to do if there ever was an earthquake around here.
          I read just today that Darwin is buried in Westminster Abbey, in the "Scientists' Corner," not far from Sir Isaac Newton and astronomer Sir John Herschel.

We had an earthquake here in NJ when I was in high school. I don't remember the magnitude...not much, since I slept through it. My parents thought the furnace had exploded or something.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            Have there actually been any tsunamis to speak of? I haven't been watching the news.
            One did hit Hawaii but it was between 5 and 6.5 feet tall. I don't think there was any damage other than maybe beach furniture and rattled nerves.

I don't think anything significant happened in Asia, either.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
              One did hit Hawaii but it was between 5 and 6.5 feet tall. I don't think there was any damage other than maybe beach furniture and rattled nerves.

I don't think anything significant happened in Asia, either.
              Well, that's good to know.

Comment

There was one island hit by the tsunami, I think it's off the coast of Chile. There were fatalities from it, though (tenish?).

A big bullet was dodged.

Now we wait to see if this continues, like it did in the Caribbean and possibly transfer some energy to the Indian ocean or Asia or will the Pacific plate absorb the stress.
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Looks like most places got a shih-tzunami -- not very big or destructive, just annoying and likes to nip at your trouser legs.

In all seriousness, that was scary -- the record-setting magnitude 9.5 Chilean earthquake from 1960 created a tsunami that killed over a hundred people in Japan.

Comment

Reminds me of a quote I read: "Truth is, Mother Nature is a bitch, and she just barely tolerates us".
                    Make a list of important things to do today.
                    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                      Reminds me of a quote I read: "Truth is, Mother Nature is a bitch, and she just barely tolerates us".
                      Truer words have never been spoken.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                        So true.

I wonder when the last time we had two quakes this massive (9.something in Indonesia back in 2004 and this 8.8 in Chile) - and I am not talking about aftershocks, either.

I wonder if this is a precursor to something.

The Caribbean plate is moving in a NNW-ish direction, towards southeastern US. The Pacific plate is expanding - so in this area it is moving east-ish.

The Indonesian plate (well, I think Indian Ocean plate) is moving north-ish pushing India into the rest of Asia.

I do have a feeling that the Chile earthquake was caused (directly or indirectly) by the Haiti quake, though.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                          "Varmint on my skin" T.J. Bass - Half Past Human/The Godwhale
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
                            I don't understand, a tsunami is about to hit Hawaii and there are loads of people on the beach waiting to welcome it, as shown on news feed, sky uk?
                            Isn't that what happened in 2004? Lots of people ran to the beach to check things out?
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                              Isn't that what happened in 2004? Lots of people ran to the beach to check things out?
                              IN 2004 they ran to the beach because they didn't know what was happening - the ocean went away so they all went to check it out.
                              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

news coming in of a strong earthquake in turkey, some deaths reported.

dont think i ever heard of so many big earthquakes in so little time.
                                Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Working...
                                X