Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMC theaters implements no under 6 after 6PM.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC theaters implements no under 6 after 6PM.

For R rated movies.

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/amc-n...ed-movies.html

One comment in the post states my own exactly: "Why are children under 6 allowed in an R-Rated movie at any time of day?"

Some people have no sense.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Ahhh! My kind of theater.

Actually, I'd like one that corrals the young'ins into a soundproofed section faaaaar away from me...

As for the photography in the lobby, a store or business can tell you no photos if it's in the interest of security (what if she'd been popcorn guy's crazy ex stalking him, or was trying to map-out where employees stand so she could plant a bomb). Sometimes silly, but only until something serious happens, then we'll be glad for the rules.
      Last edited by LillFilly; 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        As for the photography in the lobby, a store or business can tell you no photos if it's in the interest of security
        Respectfully, I disagree. I'm a photographer, (and IANAL), and according to laws, it's just fine to be taking photos from inside or outside a public building. The poster did nothing wrong legally. There are exceptions for private buildings, and where copyright law makes everything a muddy disgusting mess (read: inside the theater itself.)

As for the no kids under 6 in R movies, I thought that's what the law said to begin with? Regardless, this needs to be all the time, and at every theater, stat.
        Coworker: Distro of choice?
        Me: Gentoo.
        Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

I don't believe the movie ratings are a matter of law (except NC-17). They are just guidelines and if you are under-age accompanied by a parent or guardian the law doesn't say anything about it. Theaters can make whatever age policies they want, though.

I don't know the legalities of taking a picture of the company logo...the employee sounds a little paranoid.

One of my managers once caught a guy taking pictures of the pages of a book on his phone. He wanted a few poems and didn't want to buy the book. He was requested to leave the store.
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-13-2010, 02:35 AM.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            One of my managers once caught a guy taking pictures of the pages of a book on his phone. He wanted a few poems and didn't want to buy the book. He was requested to leave the store.
            That's the murky copyright bit I mentioned. Photos of the company logo are fine so long as the photo is not sold, and even then, there's no specific legislation preventing this. The closest thing preventing this is patented company logos. The kind companies like Coke, Amazon and Microsoft are so keen on touting. It's down to the company's lawyers to appear with a smackdown from the judicial bogs lawyers come from in hordes like zombies upon anyone unfortunate enough to have common sense these days.

Comment

I did mean on private property. My mall has a theater, which is on our property which is private property. So no photography in the mall, theater or any of the stores (depends on store policy, but they all say no photos) unless there's an event like santa or the easter bunny, in which case only photography of that set-up is permitted. I admit, our property has some nice trees and flowers, so I don't mind photos like that, but anything in front of a store display, employees, or main sections of the mall is a no-no.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I was going to stay out of this, until this particular bit got said:

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
                patented company logos.
                I have to chime in now.

Under the blanket term "Intellectual Property" there exists three specific kinds of laws: Copyright, Trademark, and Patent. Each of these three types of law protects one specific thing. Without going into long (and incredibly boring) detail, here's a quick summary (note that these descriptions cover USA law only):

Copyright governs who is allowed to make reproductions of a given creative work.

Patent governs who is allowed to make and sell your idea that has been reduced to physical form. I hate that phrasing, since it's very confusing. However, you invent something, you patent that something, and then only the people you allow to produce that invention are able to do so for the life of the patent (as of now, 20 years for most things).

Trademark governs who is allowed to use a given name or graphic or combination thereof to sell goods.

As such, what you are discussing is trademarked company logos, not patented. The differences here are huge.

For instance, if I make a site such as Best Buy Sux, I can use their logo legally for a number of reasons (note that I did not make the site, just am using it as an example). Why? I'm not selling anything. I'm not claiming to represent Best Buy. I'm not claiming that people can get the "Best Buy experience" from me. I am performing a socially useful activity by stating my opinion on a specific organization. These are all issues that have been decided and reinforced by the courts of this country numerous times.

As for whether or not you are legally allowed to photograph something, the rules are fairly simple: If you are in public space when you do it, it's legal. If you are in a place where you have permission to take photographs, it's legal. If everybody in the picture gives you their consent, it's legal.

If you are on private property (such as the property owned by a business), and they state "no pictures allowed", it's not. Whether or not they have what you consider to be a valid reason is irrelevant. They have the ability to say no, and you are required to comply.

We no return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                  As such, what you are discussing is trademarked company logos, not patented. The differences here are huge.
                  I stand corrected. My apologies on terminology misuse. :-)

What you said was what I was trying to get at, just without enough coffee to speak gud englysh. :-P

Comment

Well, I'm certainly not arguing the value of this rule. Now if we could just get the adult "children" to sit down, shut up, and turn off their phones for two hours, maybe we really WOULD have "distraction free" entertainment.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      Now if we could just get the adult "children" to sit down, shut up, and turn off their phones for two hours, maybe we really WOULD have "distraction free" entertainment.
                      But! I gotta update my facebook every 5 minutes of the movie, and talk to my friends to see what they think about what jenny and john are up to!

Really. I never understood that, although, there was once I was expecting a last minute important call while in the theater. Difference is, when it came, I left the room to talk, rather than sit there and yell over the movie.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        Well, I'm certainly not arguing the value of this rule. Now if we could just get the adult "children" to sit down, shut up, and turn off their phones for two hours, maybe we really WOULD have "distraction free" entertainment.
                        Ah yes, what a concept: To actually hear a movie.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                        X