This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Eireann View Post
    I once saw a green sky here. It was, I kid you not, during a thunder-and-lightning snowstorm.
    Extremely rare, and extremely dangerous. Those types of storms can produce ball lightning. As well, despite being a poor conductor of heat, snow does a pretty good job of conducting electricity.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That's called thundersnow. In 2000 we had a nasty snow storm a few days before Thanksgiving. There was lightning and thunder, and a church steeple got hit by lightning (the fire dept managed to confine the damage to the steeple and a small part of the roof).
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

We had thundersnow a couple times at least here this winter.

In fact the last time we had wintry precipitation, it didn't come down too hard, but there was a lot of thunder and lightning. It was the damndest thing.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I suspect some photo enhancement for ANY professional photo, but I think maybe this one had a bit too much enhancing. To me, it looked like someone pasted the city onto a stormy background just because of how bright the buildings look. I imagine with clouds like those looming overhead, it would not look that light. It's a great photo, and I'm sure it was dark when it was taken, but to brighten the buildings that much makes it look too fake. That's just me, though.

Still, scary clouds going on there. The worst I have seen here in PA was one morning I woke up to some pretty epic thunder and the sky outside was perfectly divided horizontally. The top half of the sky was nothing but pitch-black clouds (looked like one giant cloud) and the bottom half was stark white. I would have bet everything I owned there would have been a tornado because I have never, ever seen the sky that dark on a summer morning. An hour later, the sun was out. Then again, I have also seen snow in the middle of May here.

Comment

I think it looks pretty.
            ......../\
            ....../__\
            ..../\...../\
            ../__\../__\

Comment

Yeah, it was quite the sight. I looked up and thought, "Green sky? Oh, great - it's starting to snow."

I was more concerned with getting my pizza home before it went cold, than with the appearance of the sky. Which is too bad.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                he posted it with this statement

"It was taken by Scott Cook, and it is more like photo art as he enhanced the photo. "

ergo it was photoshopped, as I said.
                I dunno.. this report contradicts what the weather guy says (you have to watch the video). I don't think Gary Lezak knows what he's talking about.
                Last edited by fma_fanatic; 06-04-2011, 10:16 PM.
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Working...
                X