• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gazebo in Seattle

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Thank you for sharing some great photos of my City!

Regarding this image, in Part Three;

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...Seattle226.jpg

That is a statue of J.P. Patches, (back to camera) and Gertrude. I have yet to visit the statue, even though I'm just s bus ride away. Sadly, I missed it's dedication in the Summer of 2008, as I was hospitalized at the time, (not in one of those on "Pill Hill" though, that are shown in other photos. )

The J.P. Patches Show was a live, local kid's show in Seattle that ran from 1958-1981. During most of that time, it had both morning and afternoon airings, plus a Saturday morning one.

J.P. was played by Chris Wedes, and Gertrude was played by Bob Newman, who played most of the other characters in the show.

Although the show was cancelled 30 years ago, both J.P. and Gertrude, (or Bob's other most common alter ego, Ketchikan the Animal Man) continued to make public and private appearances for many years.

Bob semi-retired a few years ago, and Chris retired around a month ago, at age 83, and both having had significant health issues for several years.

My Avatar that I just changed, show J.P. and me from around 11 years ago, when much to my surprise, he made an appearance at a hotrod/classic car show that I was attending. It was amazing to see the then 30-40+ somethings gather around him, many with their small children in tow!

I could go on for hours regarding the impact that J.P. had on the Puget Sound area, but I simply don't have the time.
    Meow.........

Comment

Glad you had a nice time up here. You have seen things I never have, like the walrus heads. must find those. Also need to hit the art museums around here

Lovely pictures as always
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Elspeth, the walri(?) are on the facade of the Arctic Club, (converted to a hotel in recent years) down at 3rd & Cherry.

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

JustaCashier -- there was a very informative plaque about that show near the statue and I read all about it. There was a similar show on WLOS-TV here in Western North Carolina when I was a kid growing up. The weatherman hosted a kids' show in the early mornings that I recall very fondly.

Elspeth -- JustaCashier took care of locating the walrus heads, so I'll just say that I had more than a nice time up there. Hell, for the first time ever I found a city I would like to move to. It looks to be too expensive to do that now though, sadly.

Comment

Seattle is expensive, but it's nice. I hate the traffic down there, but once I find a parking spot, I love to wander.

But yeah, all my friends down there either have a million roommates, or have family pitching in for their lodging.

Did you go into the bathroom at the Columbia Center? I have not personally experienced it, but the women's bathroom is said to have an amazing view and is said to be the best bathroom in the country. (Sorry, guys. The men's bathroom doesn't have the same distinction.)
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

The mansion used for RoseRed is actually Thornewood castle in the Tacoma area. http://www.thornewoodcastle.com/

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                Did you go into the bathroom at the Columbia Center? I have not personally experienced it, but the women's bathroom is said to have an amazing view and is said to be the best bathroom in the country. (Sorry, guys. The men's bathroom doesn't have the same distinction.)
                I'm a guy... The bathroom wouldn't have been terribly impressive for me, then.

To have to live with a dozen roommates is a common situation here. I live in the most expensive city in my state in terms of local wages versus housing costs. As much as we liked Seattle, moving there would just be a lateral move and there's no point, unfortunately.

Comment

Last year, as part of a monster train trip, I took the Empire Builder out to Seattle. I spent a couple of days in Seattle and I'll have to say that it was a pretty nice city. As I was going through King Station, they were still in the process of renovating though.

Comment

Working...
                  X