X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're doing what now?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070307/...ortion_lawsuit

So you want the Dr's to pay because you got pregnant?
    If you're not responsible enough to cover your bases ahead of time (pill, condom, etc.) you prolly shouldn't be opening your legs lady...
    I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
    "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
    If you're not responsible enough to cover your bases ahead of time (pill, condom, etc.) you prolly shouldn't be opening your legs lady...

The article doesn't say if she had "covered her bases", so I'm not sure that is a fair assessment to make. Thousands, if not millions, of women in the world have become pregnant after taking precautions, I have three times, in fact (two on different types of bc pills and one on the patch), so that is not always foolproof.

That being said, the woman in question could have considered an adoption if keeping the child was not a finacially responsible decision for her to make. There are many couples who would be able to provide a loving home for a child and would have willingly adopted.

Comment

Frankly I think I'd be suing them for incompetence and pain suffered, but not for the costs of raising the child. I would have put it up for adoption, myself.

I'm not usually sue happy, but in this case I think she's more than justified. I just feel bad for the baby-poor kid will grow up knowing damn well she wasn't wanted.
      "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

I'm kind of jumping on the bandwagon here, but I think adoption would be a much better option. Yes, she should bring some sort of legal action here, especially for the failed abortion. Granted, unless the second doctor was supposed to be checking for pregnancy, it isn't his fault. But sheesh.

The kid is going to know he/she was not wanted and raised by someone else's money, if the mom is responsible enough to not spend all the money on herself. Again with the sheesh.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

she could've been pregnant with twins, or screwed around and got knocked up right after...i see she waited two years before coming up with a "cock-a-mamie"
          You have the right to behave badly. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a blog of my choice.

Comment

Medical procedures aren't an exact science -- everyone's different, and there could have been complications. Shouldn't she have said something when, say, a month later she looks down and yells "Holy crap, I'm still pregnant!"
            I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
            less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Sportsmom-
              You make a good point. Yes, all the precautions in the world don't equal 100%. Doesn't it beg to be asked, though, that unless you have the fiscal ability to care for a child, or that you have a "plan B" (adoption) that you kind of take that risk? All the precautions in the world don't equal 100%, but neither do the "cures" that modern medicine possesses. That's why it's a practice, not a science. (Just posing the question to get your view)

That all being said, I do also agree that she should be entitled to something, because she paid for a procedure and it didn't "take". But DAMN, the entire cost of care for the child? That's a bit much...

I also thought CRX brought up a good point-why did it take 2 years to file?
              I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
              "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

I think the child should sue for reperations. I feel bad for it, just imagine this being explained to her:

Mother: Well Susie, mommy tried to get rid of you before you were born, but a stupid doctor couldn't even tell you were there! Then I didn't know you were in me for a while, and boy was I in for a horrible surprise! Long story short, after two years I decided you were such an awful burden on me mommy filed a malpractice lawsuit to that dumb head abortionist!
                Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
                  Sportsmom-
                  You make a good point. Yes, all the precautions in the world don't equal 100%. Doesn't it beg to be asked, though, that unless you have the fiscal ability to care for a child, or that you have a "plan B" (adoption) that you kind of take that risk? All the precautions in the world don't equal 100%, but neither do the "cures" that modern medicine possesses. That's why it's a practice, not a science. (Just posing the question to get your view)
                  I do think you have a good point that abstinance is the best birth control, but I think in this case the woman did have a "plan B". She planned on getting an abortion, but it was botched by the doctor. I do realize that medicine is not an exact science and was actually discussing that very thing with my mother yesterday, but I do think that with all the available technology that a doctor certainly could have managed to get an abortion done correctly.

Again, I do not agree that she get the cost of raising the child (where would that end, at age 18, after college, she had a girl, so would the doc have to pay for the wedding?) but she should get some compensation for malpractice.

Comment

I agree on a malpractice suit for the first doctor who goofed the abortion. As CRXPanda pointed out, maybe she did have twins or triplet fetus' and the doctor missed one. Makes you wonder if that is possible.

The second doctor, I don't know, why did she go to him in the first place and did she even ask for or indicate that she wanted a pregnancy test? He can't be held responsible for her not giving him all the info.

She shouldn't get child support from them at all, that is the Father's responsibility. If she couldn't financially have the baby in the first place why didn't she give the baby up for adoption after she was born? She sounds like a money grubber.
                    Last edited by Cia; 03-08-2007, 03:49 PM. Reason: forgetting words again
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

She has a most unfortunate last name... I believe I'd get mine changed if it were "Raper".

Definitely she should get the child adopted. That's not the kind of thing you'd want to find out about while growing up!
                      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

and sadly what most people don't realise is that even if she wins-she won't see a dime-doctors that perform those procedures are exempt from having to carry malpractice insurance(possible undue restriction due to cost)-and this and worse happens more than is reported- "this book" by Mark Crutcher-is an interesting read-but not for those with a weak stomach-the author assists women with court cases.
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                        X