This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Canadians

I couldn't live there. I love cheese too much. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...s.html?cmp=rss
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

When Hubs first moved up here (next to the border), he couldn't figure out why everyone kept referring to "cheeseheads"...he thought we were referring to people from Wisconsin. I had to explain to him what the slang term meant here. You can go sit in the parking lot of one of the major grocers like Costco and watch people with BC plates just load up their vehicles with milk and stuff to take back across the border (and then go over to the gas station and fill up several cans worth of gas, since their gas prices are outrageous up there). So yeah, this article is kinda funny, but on the other hand, it doesn't surprise me at all, because it's a daily thing here with Canadians taking dairy back across the border.

I've only ever had a glass of milk in Canada once (in Penticton), and it was truly gross tasting. I don't know what they feed their cows up there...but I am sorry, Canada. If I lived there, I'd probably load up on dairy every time I went to the States, too. It just tasted....rank.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

It's not because US dairy products are better, thought that's matter of opinion, it's the fact that it's cheaper. The standards in Canada for dairy are stricter than in the States so that factors into whether or not Canadians know what they're eating in restaurants. There's added stuff (along the process).

As for that glass of milk, could have just been that one glass. I've never had a problem with our milk and I drink tons of it. When I went to NYC and had a glass with my breakfast, I couldn't even get passed the first sip. I'm not going to blame everyone and all the cows in the US, just that restaurant.

It's similar to Americans getting medicine in Canada; it's for the cost.
      Last edited by Slayer; 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        in Canada they have to put an additive into the milk that the US doesn't have to.
        I'm curious, what was the additive and the brand? I don't recall anything weird in my milk. I'm in Quebec, though, so maybe it's different.
        Last edited by Slayer; 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Ah, ok, we don't have any of those here. I'll look them up and see what the west seems to be doing to their milk, lol. It's pretty basic here.

Thanks

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
            It's not because US dairy products are better, thought that's matter of opinion, it's the fact that it's cheaper.
            Ah, that makes sense.

Quoth patiokitty View Post
            AThis meant weekly trips across the board to the Edaleen Dairy store to buy as many gallons of milk as we could (we'd go through at least 8 gallons a week - we drank a LOT of milk back then).
            Gotta love Edaleen! I prefer Twin Brook for milk and cream (and egg nog, pretty soon!), but Edaleen's also pretty good and very popular here. They have fantastic ice cream.

Quoth Slayer View Post
            Ah, ok, we don't have any of those here. I'll look them up and see what the west seems to be doing to their milk, lol. It's pretty basic here.
            Not sure what additives they are, either, or if they affect the taste. But I know that will NEVER drink milk in Penticton again.

My BFF actually lived up there for a year. She likes to drink milk all the time; I can vouch for that. For that one year, though, she stopped. I don't recall the brand, but yeah, it did not taste very good. I suppose if you grew up with it and had acquired a taste for it you would be fine with it, but to me, it just tasted...almost rotten, if that makes any sense. I dunno. I hated it, BFF clearly hated it, and when we were visiting BFF, everyone else in our group hated it as well. Her nanna (who she was living with up there) thought we were all nuts, though. I guess maybe we were used to different things?
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
              It's not because US dairy products are better, thought that's matter of opinion, it's the fact that it's cheaper. The standards in Canada for dairy are stricter than in the States so that factors into whether or not Canadians know what they're eating in restaurants. There's added stuff (along the process).
              There are other reasons as well - I've posted in this thread. Note that since this is a controversial subject, my post is in the Fratching thread, not the CS thread.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
              X