This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking 10 miles, through the snow...

For a job interview... Only pays $7.25 an hour...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gives-job.html

Restaurant owner encounters teen, twice, and hires him on himself - at $14/hour.

And there's the difference between a smaller company and a major corporation: One actually gives a shit about people, the other doesn't.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

dawwwww.....

What a great story. Hope it works out well for both the kid and the boss.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        And there's the difference between a smaller company and a major corporation: One actually gives a shit about people, the other doesn't.
        I dunno, it's hard for me to say that really. A lot of companies aren't going to pay workers based on how far they commute. The other job may have really cared about him, but weren't going to pay him extra just because he didn't have reliable transportation.

For the restaurant they may be able to afford to pay extra because it's an slightly different business model. Plus, what they charge customers may be enough to afford paying higher wages.
        Last edited by PepperElf; 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
          I think part of the reason why the restaurant owner hired him is that he showed dedication and a willingness to work, regardless of his personal situation. Okay, so maybe his personal situation was what played a large part in his decision to walk that far for an interview in the first place, but still - many people would have turned around and gone home instead of walking 10 miles.
          Or not set out at all. Exactly. It sounds like my grandfather's stories of walking miles to a farm, then working on the farm all day, then walking home, when they first emigrated here, just in time for the Great Depression to hit.

As for large corporation versus small business, the manager at the DQ might have been equally impressed by the kid's dedication and determination, but unfortunately might not have had the leeway to do anything about it.

Comment

Working...
          X