Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it was MEANT to gentlemanly, but I can see how it would insult... SORRY.

Comment

• Apology accepted. I'm glad that you see that many of the things that are labeled "gentlemanly" arise from unconsious sexism.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I think I need something explained (again lol) sorry. Why would such an act be seen as anything insulting at all by your character. There would not be anything even remotely like sexism in their world. (Weird that I don't think it sexist, but more a matter of respect. I wouldn't blink an eye if a girl pulled out a chair for me, but that is a matter for a different topic). Even you said that the concept of two sexes is foreign to Xer, so there could be no sexism in such a world. If anything it would be as if Colt was making himself as a servant, and be like lifting xer station above Colt?? Just trying to understand the thought process, learn more about the character and their thoughts/motivation.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

• Ok, I won't get into why someone (usually a man) pulling out a chair for another able-bodied person (usually a woman) is sexist. I won't even get into why calling an adult woman a "girl" is sexist. Or why males of a feline species being "tiger or lion" while the females are "calico or siamese" is probably sexist.

As for Colt making himself out to be a servant to Sapputiyok, I don't see it that way. I know on Earth, it is (and has been in the past) common for wealthy, able-bodied individuals to hire servants to do ordinary, every-day things that they would otherwise be able to do themselves, but I don't see that happening in Sapputiyok's dimension. The wealthy or upper-class dress themselves, open doors for themselves, and do other ordinary, every-day things for themselves. They only hire servants for protection, to do things that they are unable, or to do things that they don't have time for.

And because there's no sexism in Sapputiyok's dimension, classism, ableism, and other forms of discrimination are that much more prevalent.

Sapputiyok was moving towards seeing Colt as an equal, based on their work together, then he insulted xer twice in the span of minutes: once by saying xe needed protecting from doing something rash in the retrieval of the girl, and again by suggesting that xe wasn't able-bodied enough to move xer own chair.

Now, I don't want you to think this affects how I view either of you, Mytical and Tyg3rW01f. I'm still enjoying playing the RPG, and this clash of cultures is one of the things that (I think) makes Sapputiyok interesting.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Believe me when I say that there are dimensions where the opposite is true. Ie the females are lions and tigers, and the males are calico or siamese. Or even dimensions where females of the species are a good 2' taller and 80+ lbs heavier. You need to visit Venus in the dimension Strongarm is from *laughs* One bad thing about that planet though. If you do go be prepared to fight. It is a VERY warrior centered planet. Think Klingon like..the stronger you are the more they respect a person.
            Last edited by Mytical; 08-23-2013, 06:24 PM.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

• Ok, ok. Letting it go.

The Nexus (or those who work there) obviously has some way of tracking people who travel the dimensions. Is it a technological device that we can take with us or get information relayed to us? So that we can either know if he's still in this dimension or which dimension he's moved to?
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• *nods* You were issued a device that can monitor dimension crossings and track people who pick up 'dimension crossing radiation'. However, it is unclear if this person can be tracked via normal means.. he is traveling in a not very common method.

Comment

• You two do realize that if he is an avatar..he is not going to be the easiest to kill right? After all, death is not so easy to kill. Since he is a teleporter as well..this is gonna be a very tough fight.

Comment

• I don't expect it to be easy. But there's really nothing we could have done to prepare, either.
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• if he goes to Dimension 317, the Death Avatar is going to have a nasty surprise: 317 takes to heart the saying "An ARMED Society is a polite society".

Comment

• My post crossed with yours, Mytical, but Sapputiyok can't hear Steel anyway, right? So xe might even be talking over him.
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• That is correct, only person who can hear Steel (normally) is Colt.

Comment

• Give me a bit for an update. Sorry, been a bit worn down the last couple of days.

Comment

• ((See ooc for what Sapputiyok detects from Void..and no his name is not 'Gluggy', its just a random word again..it will change pretty much every time he tries to say his name))

What Sapputiyok detects from the bees. About human power level, nothing special..except from the specific bee that you are talking to. ((Keep in mind Steel does not really know much about xer power, so would not have known she would have been able to detect him from all the other swarm)). Unlike most power, his is not a light, it is shadow. Sort of antipower. And he is powerful indeed. It is actually hard to see anything with xer vision on, as his 'aura' makes a shadowy cloud over the whole area. It's not a vortex like death's however. If there is anything else to detect it is shrouded by the dark aura.
                              Last edited by Mytical; 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• yes, I just had Colt swearing in Klingon, and very incoherently, too. He's to that point where fury has caused a general end to rationality.
                                Also, the [bleep] is supposed to be a rather long series of words that not only defy definition and translation, but SPELLING, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X