This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Falling Sky - Zhan, Rowan, Sama, Tucker

When the captain and the first mate step up to the Falling Sky, they'd see the sign of the bar overhead. An arc representing a world, and three falling symbols-- sun, moon, and star. At the bottom, the name of the bar in English, at the top, the same in Chinese characters. The interior is your basic public house. A bar stocked with booze of varying qualities and type, a stage on which a band plays shanties and the like, a number of tables in the middle, and booths around the sides. Three rent-rooms are on the lower level, but the lights next to them have red filters over them, making it clear what they're rented for. Upstairs, about ten more rent-rooms, cramped but serviceable, but what need is there for those rooms at the now? Besides, they have rooms back on their own ship.

By the time Zhan and Rowan enter the pub, Sama and Tucker are already there, ensconced at their own table, seemingly unconnected to the captain and first mate's arrival. When/if Zhan or Rowan make an order for a drink, they'd be informed, discreetly, that their first round has already been provided for. (Sama being generous.) Franklin Brisket and his workers are already there, sitting at a table toward the back.

Brisket is a man of average height, but he is a very wide man, broad of shoulder and thick of build. He's dusky-skinned and utterly bald, wearing a shabby black suit coat over a wife beater. His thick fingers and knuckles are calloused, and he wears rings on his fore and pinky fingers on both hands. He smokes two black cigarettes, and his expression is a hard one.

Three men accompany him. Two of them have the build of men who work in hard labor, mining or smithing perhaps. One of them has the minor burn scars that accompanies smithing, at least. The other looks like your standard industrial worker in appearance. The third man looks much more unassuming, and blinks a few times behind a pair of tinted spectacles. He looks like an accountant. The smith and accountant both wear plain, ordinary clothes, of the kind one might wear when that's all they can afford. The industrial worker-type wears a worn leather jacket, dark and patched in places.

Brisket pulls both cigarettes out of his mouth and blows a thick stream of smoke at the ceiling as he eyes Zhan and Rowan. "You Cook?" he says, gruffly. It's the same voice Zhan spoke with on the comm.

Deucalion - Lizzie, Wolf, Mando + 1 unconscious R. Kellins

Mando takes the sedative without a word, resuming his usual "holding up the roof" stance, his knife put away for now. He keeps an eye on the the unconscious Ricky Kellins. "Wouldn't be surprised if he is still riding on his last snort. He won't be waking up any time soon, though," he says with confidence.

Lizzie's tox screen returns a hit, all right. Kellins definitely had a dose of dust fairly recently. Judging by the results, it was Nautilus White, a fairly common, and fairly potent strain of dust.

When Wolf returns with his opinion, Mando growls, "We ain't killin' the poor chwen. He might've drawn the short card when it come to brains, especial when it comes to puttin' fey wu up his nose, but that's no call to go cuttin' his throat."

He shakes his head. "No. Keep 'is swiper IdentCard, fine, but we ain't robbin' him blind. Tze sh'un tze mieh. Ring up the local police, hand him over to them, let them deal with him."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Wolf -- Deucalion

"Pffft! Me keep it? Oh no, my dear friend. You, Mando, fit the IdentCard far better than I. Here, get an earful o' this."
      With that, Wolf read off a few interesting tidbits from the dossier. "Phoenix MacHoulihan... Killed eight men in a bar on Taris 3 with only a broken bottle and a beer mug; ehhh, let's see here... ah, yes! Rrrrromanced two noblewomen and one doxie in one night on Fairhaven; hmm... sliced open a pimp from chin to nuts then hung his body from a street light by his own entrails on Nar Zhoung. Here's a good one for you: stole 18 thousand from a corrupt official and gave it to an orphanage on Beir-Naftali, and is now considered for sainthood by the Sisters of the Knights Templar."
      Wolf grinned, "Definitely you. Besides, I haven't the 'go' for three women in a single night, nor am I the dashing Robin Hood type." He then offered the ID to Mando.
      Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 11-20-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

((Worked on this with Tyg3rW01f))

Lizzie returned to the loading dock in the middle of Wolf and Mando's conversation. Addressing Wolf in a semi-doctoral tone, she said, "People don't get addicted because they're bad people. They get addicted because they need a distraction from the drudgery of their lives, because of social pressure, or because they self-treat a mental illness for which the system has failed to provide adequate medial aid."

Unimpressed, Wolf spat back, "The b'st'rd's a swiper! Tha's a leen cr'st be nay th' blaydin' Torries a'home! A' th' buggerin' Torries were dog-sodding wanker scum, th' lot!"
        ((the B**** is a swiper. That's a line not crossed by the bleeding Alliance-loyals back home! And the Torries were all dog-f****ing scum, the lot!))

"Well, that's a separate issue from his dust habit," Lizzie crossed her arms.

Aidan "Wolf" McCuan blinked. Okay. Different tack there. "Is it? His record states he uses swiping to support his habit."

Lizzie's eyes narrowed, making Wolf gulp, as she pressed her point. "Even if that's the case, he's likely using his dust habit to self-medicate his schizophrenia, which is not unusual when someone with a mental health issue like that can't get the medical help they need."

Wolf hissed a breath. He hated how Lizzie could diffuse him so easily. If only she knew how much like my older sister she is, he thought. Toeing Kellins roughly, Aidan growled, "Alright, I'll cut him that much slack. But he's still the lowest class of criminal I know, Lizzie. That is the crime for which I'd prefer giving him the back-alley necktie."

Lizzie sighed, "You have to understand, Wolf. I don't think Kellins is a bad person. Well, probably not. He's just doing the best he can in the circumstances he finds himself in. It doesn't sound like he's been using that fake ID to harm anyone."

Wolf considered that. "I guess I have trouble seeing your silver linings because mine have proven to be lead instead of silver too often." He shrugged, then puffed on his pipe as his features turned broody.

Lizzie laid a hand gently on Wolf's arm and looked down at the unconscious man at their collective feet. "I doubt there will be a silver lining for Kellins. We turn him over to the local police, and they'll lock him up. If he's lucky, he'll get rehab, but if his schizophrenia isn't treated, he'll just get back on the dust. Neither we nor the local government have the resources to make sure he gets the mental health treatment he needs."
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Zhan Cook; with Rowan - The Falling Sky

Upon entering the saloon Zhan scans the bar once thoroughly, seeming to take notice of nothing at all in particular outwardly. In truth he makes sure to take notice of every possible exit and the general layout of the bar and it's patrons. After this he walks to the bar with Rowan in tow to order a round, when the bartender mentions the lack of need to pay for the first round he simplygoes on as if business were usual by this development. In order to keep appearences he tips the bartender generously to make it seem he were paying the usual fare.

After they take their drinks Zhan turns around to lean his back against the bar and seemingly scan it again, but he already knows where he was planning to go. Without a word he begins to meander his way through the watering hole towards who he assumes is his contact, based more on intuition and knowledge of the gentleman's demeanor than anything else. When passing by Sama and Tucker he seems to not notice them whatsoever, placing himself between them and Rowan as they walk.

Finally strolling up to Briskett's table he acknowledges him when ask of his identity saying, "I am indeed. I assume you'd then be Mr. Briskett?" He glances down to see if there is any seating to take, at a nearby table or otherwise. If it is at a nearby table he makes no movement to manuever it closer, preferring to stand in such a case.

Comment

Rowan- with Zahn at the Falling Sky

Rowan openly observes the bar and it's patrons. Wanting her hands free, she declines to order a drink just yet. When Zahn heads toward the table, she follows just slightly behind, taking his cues on ignoring Sama and Tucker, though she does briefly make eye contact.

Comment

Deucalion - Lizzie, Wolf, Mando + 1 unconscious poor bastard

Mando took the McHoulihan ID and eyeballed it, then shrugged and stuffed it in the front pocket of his vest. "Might come in handy, but from what you say, sounds more like Señor McHoulihan is your standard Cortex legend." He listens impassively as the doctor and resident hacker bicker over Kellins' fate, finally declaring, when they're finished, "Ain't gonna say there aren't the bad addicts out there, Wolf, but Ricky here seems more like the type that uses dust just to maybe quiet las voces." With that phrase, he lifts a hand up close to his ear and flaps it like a mouth.

He goes over to the nearest ship-comm. "I'll ring up the local constab. At least they'll give him a roof over his head and at least one hot meal before ... whatever happens." Beat. "I won't mention the swiped ID, though."

The Falling Sky - Zhan, Rowan, Sama, Tucker + F. Brisket and his men

Brisket nods, and indicates the two chairs facing him at the table. "I am Frank Brisket." He indicates the men in order: smith, worker, accountant, "This is Weyland, Gilchrist, and Blevins." He waits for an introduction for Zhan's accompanying person (i.e. Rowan).

Once introductions are finished, a barmaid brings around the drinks. Brisket grabs his, raises it and offers, "Yer health." A bracing swallow is taken, and he taps ash out of his cigarettes. "Show the captain yer credentials, boys," he says to his workers, "he wanted to meet up with you before he agrees to take you off to your job."

Accordingly, the three other men do show their IdentCards and credentials. Bill Weyland, licensed metalworker. Henry Blevins, certified public accountant. Only Nick Gilchrist doesn't have any additional credentials, but he shows his IdentCard. "Don't got no fancy credentials," he admits. "Just a laborer, me."

Brisket takes a drag on his cigarettes as he regards Zhan levelly. "Anything else you need to satisfy your curiosity, captain?"
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Tucker et al. - The Falling Sky

Tucker takes a long draught from his drink and glances around the room for anyone who seems interested in what's going on over at the table the Captain and Rowan are at. "This whole thing seems off." He says to no one.

Comment

Lizzie - Deucalion loading ramp

Lizzie takes the sedative back from Mando and puts it away. She hangs around to keep an eye on Kellins and answer any questions the local police might have.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Zhan - The Falling Sky

"Of course, where are my manners? This is my second-in-command Rowan Li, and I of course am Zhānmǔsī Cook, but most just call me 'Zhan' or Captain. Whichever you prefer honestly, I'm not such a stickler for protocol." he responds to Brisket, introducing himself and Rowan to everyone at the table.

When introduced to the potential passengershe regards them each by name and looks them in the face. Not so much the eyes specifically, although he seems to, but also watching for any muscle twitches or ticks in the face in general. Once introduced he makes somthing of a show of sitting overtly casual in the chair presented, kicking his feet up and leaning back as he does with a smile on his face. When the barmaid approaches he makes a gesture showing he still already has a drink of his own. "Thank you very much though." he says to the offer. He keeps his drink in his left hand gesturing with it as he speaks or even acknowledges a speaker or the waitress, his right stays by his hip under the table the whole time.

He makes sure to watch each one's face again when they hand over their credentials once again. Leaning forward and kicking his feet down, and setting down his drink to pick each one up, glance it over, more watching them as he glances over the credentials before handing them to Rowan.

Finally when asked if he has anymore questions he draws a big smile on his face, picks his drink back up, kicks back once again and says, "Well, I have some for everyone, but first I want to ask you something Frank. How's an upstanding navigator like yourself end up in 'occupational management'? Hell, I give any other headhunter, Core to Rim, that spiel and they don't question me for batting of a debutante's eyes. You're a quick wit Mr. Brisket, if I may be so bold to say."

Comment

The Falling Sky - Zhan, Rowan, Tucker, Sama + Brisket and his workers

Brisket is evidently aware the captain is keeping one hand near his hip, and thus his weapon, but the headhunter's hands stay in view, one always on the table, the other holding his cigarettes. When the captain asks his question, Brisket regards him levelly, "I never said I was an upstanding navigator, Captain Cook. I said I did my time doing astronav, but I had my fill of sailing about the black during the war. Saw too many people die or go bibbledy out there. I keep my boots on the ground now, thank you."

As for the workers, Blevins is quietly sipping his own drink and blinking owlishly behind his glasses, Weyland is leaning back in his seat, slouching a little and watching a dancer gyrating on a table across the room, and Gilchrist is just pinballing his gaze back and forth between captain and headhunter.

Comment

Rowan- Falling Sky

At Zahn's introduction, she smiles slightly and inclines her head toward Brisket. When handed the IDs, she looks them over carefully before handing them back to their owners.

Comment

Aidan "Wolf" McCowan -- Deucaleon's Cargo Bay
                          As Mando watched over Kellins and spoke with the local constables, "Wolf" puffed away at his pipe as he moved deeper into the cargo bay. The rawboned man moved behind a large crate and picked up a few polymer practice knives from a small table. These practice knives were weighted to within 0.85 grams of an actual knife of similar design, but were blunt. (Even though they could be used as weapons themselves in a pinch.) Twenty-one feet away, several two-inch, metal plinking plates were hung.
                          Clutching his pipe in his teeth, Wolf threw three of the knifes, one over-handed, one side-armed, and one under-handed. All three hit, but the side- and under-armed throws did not hit so full-on solid as the over-handed, instead glancing off their intended plates. "Wolf" growled as he retrieved the blunts. He was getting rusty again.

Comment

Zhan - The Falling Sky
                            Zhan takes Briskett's words into consideration and replies, "Well, I have seen much the same myself, such are the horrors of space, but I chose to help see it not happen again where possible. Especially after finding out what the Alliance brass did over my head on Miranda. That having been said..."
                            He trails of while deftly pulling his comm from his right pocket, sitting up setting his chair back fully onto the ground, and begins connecting a call to the ship with left hand. As he does his shoulder holster under his left arm becomes visible, it holds his standard issue Alliance officer's sidearm from the War of Unification. He considers Briskett's glance at the weapon under his left arm and reassures him saying, "Sorry if I seem untrusting, but I do believe in keeping safe. Some folks can be a might untrustworthy, you understand." Zhan then finishes connecting his call to the ship and gestures to the others at the table that this will just take a moment.

Comment

Aidan Wolf McCowan -- Deucaleon's bridge

When the ship's comm warbled, Wolf had bolted for the bridge shouting "I got it! I got it!" the entire way. On the fifth ring, he hit his chair, yanked on the headset, hit the receive button and replied, "Thank you for contacting the Deucaleon, finest transport in the 'Verse. My name is Wolf; how may I help you?"

Comment

Tucker with Sama - Falling Sky

During the Captain's negotiations Tucker is liberally sipping his drink and paying more attention to the crowd now than to the Captain and his table.

Comment

Working...
                                X