Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Section 3 (Background and Out of Character)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kate's of the opinion it's kind of silly. So no.

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
    Rob's pretty bad with social cues, so he likely hasn't noticed. He's basically as bad as I was a few years ago. I didn't really develop any ability in that until the middle of high school.
    And then I got you. *noms teh Kabe*
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• As I said in game, Thelassa was trained to handle psychics by the Russian government. Not empaths, specifically, but she reasons that it is a similar tactic. Even when Kate isn't around, she utilizes the same counter-measures since she doesn't know how many others are running around with similar powers. She's not impossible to read, but it's difficult in most cases. Exceptions, of course, are when deeply involved with something (like a fight) and she has to focus her mental attention elsewhere. It's like trying to tune in a particular radio station somewhere where you have a lot of interference blocking the signal. You know the station is there, you might get a second or two of music, and then... nothing. Most of the time Kate would get a fleeting sense of anger, suspicion, mistrust, or just a feeling of calm. She was trained to be an assassin, she squashes her feelings even when she's by herself. And there are feelings she doesn't even acknowledge, sadness and regret, for example. She buried them, but they're still there, far below the surface.

She doesn't dislike anyone, but she doesn't like them either. They are a team, nothing more. She is interested in Ananda for her abilities and not for her as a person.
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

• Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
        ... Has anyone thought of codenames? I'm rather proud of Wild Card, even though I literally thought of it as I was typing that post at my measly 30-odd words per minute.
        I hadn't thought of actually using one until earlier today. Just because that's how these kinds of things usually work, lol. And I got to put a sobering twist on the reason behind using them, also.

Comment

• Is it wrong that I'm taking that as a potential future challenge for Kate to deal with?
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• Ananda's friendly like a puppy, but slightly intimidated by Thelassa. I imagine some cold flat almost glares from your character, like "I'm not impressed."
            Also, when Thel said to call her "Vitch," did you catch what Ananda had thought she said?
            Hell, it's a challenge for all of us now, we just don't recognize it in-character yet. Team cohesion. Important. Usually means bonding on a human level.
            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

• Point. But I more meant for when her telepathy develops a bit more (note: it'll always be reliant on empathy, so no random reads) having her attempt to break through that radio silence.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• Ah. Yeah, that's what I got the drift to be from Kara.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

• o__o holy crap. I just realized: bullets have a shit-ton of potential energy when they're with gunpowder, like usual bullets are nowadays, and a shit-ton of kinetic energy when in flight. I might be able to turn a hail of bullets into an actual hail, killing off speed and making it hurt way less at the same time. Jeeze, I think she'd be done for the day tho. Probably pass out too, maybe probably miss some. Or just choose. She'd have to think crazy fast too... The intent for a fired bullet is "I want this dead, most certainly" which makes it harder for her to change, but it has so much energy that it's also easier-- if it wasn't for that killing intent, and its' swiftness.

Comment

• Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                    Is it wrong that I'm taking that as a potential future challenge for Kate to deal with?
                    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe?

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                    Ananda's friendly like a puppy, but slightly intimidated by Thelassa. I imagine some cold flat almost glares from your character, like "I'm not impressed."
                    Also, when Thel said to call her "Vitch," did you catch what Ananda had thought she said?
                    Yes, and I laughed. I had already considered calling her The Witch, but then I knew it would come out "Vitch," and I thought that might detract from the seriousness of the character. But then I figured, why not? And sure enough, someone nailed it. I was happy.

Comment

• That would be...incredibly awesome to see.

EDIT: And not getting the joke, honestly. but I blame the hour.
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• Yes. Yes it would be.
                        (makes puppy eyes at Mytical)
                        EDIT: I'm very pleased I seem to be playing into people's hands with the witty banter, such as it is.
                        Also, Khel, see mission statement teh: re: "awesomeness"
                        EDITEDIT: Vitch, Bitch ... :#
                        Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 03-18-2011, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• In case anyone is wondering where the philosophy is coming from, she's been in ROTC, and has lived on military bases, and as a very curious academic, she's looked into the morality and ethics of war, and has thought long and hard on these matters. And the whole "has killed someone thing." Thus, the results.

Comment

• I can understand. Army brat here with a brother going into the Marine Officer Corp and one cousin who was in the Rangers and another cousin in ROTC.

But Kate lives in a world where she almost literally feels everybody. Hurting isn't something she likes to feel.
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

• Yeah I hear you there. I have too much sympathy for people, so I don't like being mean at all, or rude. I have difficulty dealing with people or animals in pain.

Comment

• Rob's just of the opinion that anyone who can be totally comfortable with killing another human being is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Not that it can always be avoided, just that it can never be easy.

He probably shouldn't bring that up around Kara's character, but it's not likely he'd realize saying it is a bad idea.
                                » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Working...
                                X