This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    To you, it's a simple little honeybee. To me, it's "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

And I'm the same guy who's told a guy twice my size who threatened to kick my ass that "I hope you brought friends."

Remember, kids, the very definition of phobia is an IRRATIONAL fear. So please, don't tell me how harmless bees are. I KNOW that I am a thousand times larger than it, and that I have almost nothing to fear from it. And yet, it still scares the bejeebus out of me.
    Oh, I'm not trying to tell you how harmless they are. Mostly wondering if this "super-allergic" guy I knew also had a phobia, since he just would not stop swinging at the bee (instead of running) despite his supposed allergy. I had to stop hanging around him outside during warm weather because if there's one surefire way to get a bee to sting you, it's swinging at it without killing it right away. I certainly didn't want to be stung because he couldn't bring himself to just get away from it.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have any strong phobias myself. A lot of mild ones, but none that make me scream and panic just thinking about them. I suppose the claustrophobia comes close....
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

ok more!

6. I have a social phobia. it just makes me come across as being something that rimes with witch.

7. I think I look horrible no matter what I actually look like if my eyebrows are not neat. Like embarrassed to go out in public.

8. I cannot let others know what music I am listening to or book I am reading. Huge anxiety there. It feel as private as what brand of feminine products I use.

9. I am easily overwhelmed by the world. If there is too much going on I cannot function. I have to cut sensations out. I need a sensory deprivation chamber.

10. I have a fear of whales.

I totally sound sooo crazy
      My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post

7. I can recall snippets of my past lives; most vividly how I died. Despite, or perhaps because, of this I am terrified of dieing and will have a panic attack if I allow myself to think about it.

8. I am somewhat telepathic and psychic. I've heard my father's thoughts from over 20 feet away across a crowded amusement park, for example. The last 4 times my sister's been pregnant, I've known she was pregnant even before being told, despite not having seen her for months before hand. When my dad'sbrother died, I woke up at the precise time he died and knew he was dead.
        Me too, I've had some vivid dreams/memories about people I've known over different times. No one famous or anything just I've remembered conversations I've had with people, it was interesting. I also remember someone I was married to in a past life, which I find awesome, cause in a past life I was very loved.

I always know when something is off about family and have strange things happen to me before something serious happens to them. Like the day my grandmother collapsed and died, that morning I woke up, stood up and before I knew it I was on the ground and passed out. I was perfectly fine but spent the day wondering what the heck was going to happen to my family, later that day I was bitten by a dog, and had to care for a snake. Later I took them as an omen which might seem silly, but it was a black dog, and my grandfather is terrified of snakes. When I was in 5th grade and in class I knew my father was having a heart attack, they called my mother to come get me because I was crying so hard and they couldn't calm me. When they got her on the phone they found out she was just about to come get me because he was in the hospital because of a heart attack. Things like that. It's kinda hard to explain, but I can always tell something is wrong.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          I'm clumsier than fuck...remember I'm the one that tripped over nothing and broke my own arm in a cubical wall three years ago.
          Proof we're figments of the same imagination? I managed to slice my arm open simply by walking though my own kitchen!
          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth monolayth View Post
            8. I cannot let others know what music I am listening to or book I am reading. Huge anxiety there. It feel as private as what brand of feminine products I use.
            I can understand that. Sometimes people can be so judgemental about what we read or listen to. I can read anything from Anne of Green Gables to Carrie (just an example, as I have both of those on one my bookshelves) and I have had others sneer at Anne.

I also can listen to a good deal of singers/bands that can be considered guilty pleasures (full confession, even though I made a crack about forcing an obscene caller to listen to Air Supply, I have been known to listen to them voluntarily.) and if someone goes through my music collection it can feel like an invasion. I don't want to constantly explain why I like this one or that. I just do, okay?

The point is your taste in books and music is subjective, and it is really awful to wonder if someone you don't know well is going to rip on your tastes.

I am quite open with my tastes with close friends. Strangers are another story. I do not want them in my private world.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
              Proof we're figments of the same imagination? I managed to slice my arm open simply by walking though my own kitchen!
              Oh no......that's just as bad as me! We are a danger to ourselves for sure
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth monolayth View Post
                6. I have a social phobia. it just makes me come across as being something that rimes with witch.
                My wife takes that as a compliment,

6- I've played the flute and wasn't that bad (actually, the only two common woodwinds I've never played were the bassoon and a piccolo).

7- I've also played a clarinet that is taller than most humans. Yes, that takes some lung power.

8- I invented a reed trumpet once. It sounded AWESOME. Too bad no one liked the idea. The brass people (who pretty much has their way all the time) thought it was an abomination.

9- I've made an arrangement of a popular song for Jazz bad and had it recorded (I did the arrangement in high school, had it recorded in college).

10- I've never had perfect pitch but I used to be able to hear a note and know what note it was.

11 - I helped write THE guide on music based laser discs (back in the early 90's) but never got credit. Hell, I didn't just help, I pretty much WROTE it.

12 - I was on ESPN playing the tenor sax. It was actually a retaliation for me taking the sports caster's picture.

13- I wrote a cadence even though I'm not a percussionist.

14- I used to be able to transpose music in my head. It came in handy when I was in a pit orchestra

15- I almost took a job playing the tenor sax in a jazz band on a cruise ship - sometimes I still wish I took that job.

16- The tenor sax isn't my primary instrument despite being on this list a couple of times.

17- I had the nickname "Contra" for many years (high school and college) yet it didn't refer to any rebels or video games. See #7 for a hint.

18- In total, I've played (as in for an audience either a solo or part of an ensemble) 12 instruments.

19- My high school band won international competitions.

20- Despite being a computer / IT geek my first love is still music - hence why I own over 500 CDs, all digitized on my computer.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Honestly, most of the things about me are weird.

1. I prefer The Silmarillion to both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

2. I am addicted to Fruit Punch flavored Crystal Light.

3. The only thing that would get me to leave Southern California is if I was picked for the first Martian colony (dead serious about that: I'd totally go on a one-way trip to Mars)

4. I can sing a few songs in Welsh.

5. My favorite newspaper comic is one that hasn't run in 40 or 50 years (Pogo.)
                  "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                    Honestly, most of the things about me are weird.

3. The only thing that would get me to leave Southern California is if I was picked for the first Martian colony (dead serious about that: I'd totally go on a one-way trip to Mars)

5. My favorite newspaper comic is one that hasn't run in 40 or 50 years (Pogo.)
                    I totally know you would go to Mars

One more thing about me...I know an interesting fact involving Pogo. When the band Poco first formed in the late 60's they went by the name Pogo but changed it due to copyright infringement of the name Pogo.

Yeah I'm full of weird musical trivia too.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                      I totally know you would go to Mars

One more thing about me...I know an interesting fact involving Pogo. When the band Poco first formed in the late 60's they went by the name Pogo but changed it due to copyright infringement of the name Pogo.

Yeah I'm full of weird musical trivia too.
                      I would so go to Mars...I don't even know why it's my favorite planet, it just is. Well, and I've always loved cold non-dune deserts.)

I grew up with my dad reading Pogo to us, and he would do all the voices, which was a delight! Plus, the art is simply fantastic. Favorite line: Dog: "I kin out-think you bal'-headed!" Alligator: "HA! I is already bal'-headed!" Yes, my dad and I will frequently say this to each other.

Actually, that's another weird thing: my family can converse entirely in quotes. Favorite sources: Pogo, MST3K, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Three Amigos. It is TOTALLY normal for one of us to turn to another one and say "You shot the invisible swordsman!" and the other to respond with "NI!!" It's a great way to weed out unsuitable boyfriends for my sister: if they don't laugh or can't quote, they don't last.
                      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Actually, that's another weird thing: my family can converse entirely in quotes. Favorite sources: Pogo, MST3K, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Three Amigos. It is TOTALLY normal for one of us to turn to another one and say "You shot the invisible swordsman!" and the other to respond with "NI!!" It's a great way to weed out unsuitable boyfriends for my sister: if they don't laugh or can't quote, they don't last.
                        My family does that! Some conversations are a weird mix of Monthy Python, Benny Hill, Dave Allen, Dr. Who, and various old cartoon shows. My brother could quote whole scenes from Roger Ramjet and Beany & Cecil even though he hadn't seen them for over 40 years.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

1. would prefer to eat most of my food with chopsticks but as I have yet to own a solid non wood pair forks it is. (IE a polished or lacquered set)
                          2. if a piece of furniture smells to me i won't touch it, it could be clean and sanitary but if it smells off to me i won't use it no matter how much febreeze there is
                          3. when and if i "claim" something I do it by keeping said object with me for three days straight so that it carrys my scent and stays with me or in my safe place.
                          4. my room is my safe place and unless you knock or ask to come in its not a good idea to enter without my permission. IE if i said sure you can go in if i'm not there its fine but those who have done so w/o my consent have told me they get this cold feeling and that they should leave NOW
                          5. due to my left eye being lazy i have a better peripheral view of my left side and can almost stop people from sneaking up on me from the left.

Comment

Five weird things game

1 Unless I’m wearing heavy boots or shoes, when I walk, my heels do NOT touch the ground.

2 I should not be able to walk. When I was a child, I fell from a second story height with my spine crosswise to an approx 5 inch square beam on the ground, rounded corners. Picture a map compass, my spine is North-South, the beam was East-West, impact was just above or even with my hips. I walk with a bit of a limp, and if I’m not paying attention to how I walk (I need to devote conscious thought to how to move my legs, and I still bob up and down with each step), one leg will drag and the ankle goes all floppy. Because of that, I am now deathly scared of heights, as in second step on a ladder and I freeze.
                            I should be missing my left thumb. Still a kid, before I fell and hurt my back, I was playing with a safety razor and removed just over half of the thumb from just before the first knuckle. My thumb print has a horizontal line through it showing from where it grew back from.

3 I have an accent, which confuses everyone who knows me. Except for a quick day trip across the border into Washington state when twelve or so, I have never left the country. Both parents were born in Canada and reportedly have no discernable accent, yet I have a slight Scottish brogue to my speech. It is most noticeable when I’m very tired, or am losing my patience with someone/thing. Related to this, when I was learning various languages, I spoke German with a French accent (Drove german grandma nuts), French with a German accent(Drove two french teachers to distraction), and I can’t remember what accent I was told I have when I was trying the Scandinavian languages.

4 My natural hair colour is/has been; bright red, dark blonde, blonde, white, strawberry blonde, etc. Depending upon my age and the time of year. ... And yes, when I have hair down below, it is one or two shades off from what is on top of my head.

5 It is not uncommon for me to dress all in black, lean against a white wall, and have someone walk past me several times looking for me, then ask the person standing next to me if they’ve seen me lately. .... Oddly, both people tend to jump when I move or speak up that I’m there.

Have some more...

6 I have been accused of being a Vulcan sent to spy on people, a robot, and/or an AI seeing if people pass a Touring test.

7 Related to 6, there are people who have known me for over a decade (or two) who have never seen me; smile, laugh, eat, drink, sleep, be tired, angry, mad, whatever. Side note, for years, the SO of a good friend of mine was convinced that I hated her because I never said more then two words at a time to her. The look of shock on her face the first time she heard me say more than two words together to her, or laugh at her assertion that I hated her, was priceless. ... I just found her really boring and had nothing to contribute to the conversation. (Not that I could have gotten a word in edgewise anyway)

8 Several relatives (all on dad’s side) are convinced that demons/vampires/etc are real and that there is heritage of at least one in my mom’s side of the family. The proof they offer is that I hardly ever eat around them, I’m incredibly pale compared to every other relative (I glow in the dark, seriously), and most convincingly in their opinion, no matter how tired I am during the day, as soon as the sun sets, it’s just like I’ve gotten a jolt of energy and am suddenly wide awake. Also, a couple cousins have gotten me mad enough that I was ready to forcibly remove them from the mortal coil. To this day, they swear that my eyes turned a red colour when I had them pinned to a wall and their feet were dangling.

9 Apparently my gender is mutable. I can call up a business for something, and get all sirs for the first call. Ten minutes later, call to the same business, get the EXACT same person, and I get all ma’am’s the second time around.
                            And this happens online too. I know people who insist I am male because of how I type, and others who insist I am female, also because of how I type.

10 I have a very fast and light pulse, sometimes finding it can be a challenge. In more than a few lifesaving classes, I’ve had my partner check each wrist then my neck for a pulse, and be unable to find it. The instructor will then wander over and check for my pulse. ... All but one had to get a stethoscope and listen to my chest for a heartbeat. And two or three of them took more than a few minutes to find my heartbeat.

11 I have very cold hands, even in summer. But the rest of me can be radiating so much heat that I feel like a little sun. Even in winter, my body tends to radiate as much heat as possible, but my hands will be ice cold.

12 I love the cold. Most comfortable place I’ve ever been, for a week or two, the daytime high was below -45C. ... I slept with my window open and nude. In fact, during winter, I can’t sleep unless there is a thin layer of ice on my bed sheets.

13 On my mom’s side of the family, various relatives can influence the weather. Grandpa was famous for that. Each winter, grandparents would travel from Saskatchewan to one of the islands off the BC coast. Didn’t matter how bad the weather was on their route, they always had good weather. Didn’t matter how bad the weather was here, three to four hours before they’d arrive, the weather would be nice. As soon as they’d unpack what they had for the time they were staying here, bad weather would return. Weather would be lousy, until three to four hours before they’d leave, and three to four hours after they had left, bad weather would return.
                            14 I’m not good with doing facial expressions. When I was a baby and learning facial expressions, my main source of learning, Mom, had Bell’s palsy. I can still make half my face go slack at will, which freaks everyone around me. Especially when I alternate which side of my face is slack. I can’t do both sides at once.

*Next two are possibly tmi *

15 When I was younger, but legal, I would strip in front of a webcam as a way to raise my confidence/self-esteem, and I found it fun. One thing I remember most from that time period in my life, whenever I was in front of the webcam, my heart rate would change. Usually my heart rate is a very fast and light thwipthwipthwipthwip. Be in front of the camera and removing clothing, my heart rate would change to an almost painful THUD ... THUD ... THUD

16 I’m in my early-mid thirties, and haven’t been physically intimate with anyone. Ninety-something percent of the time, I don’t see this as a problem.

Comment

Quoth Pony_Boy View Post
                              1. I was born 3 months premature - doctors told my mom not to bother naming me since I wouldn't survive more then a month 6 months later they told her that I would never walk 28 years later I'm alive and walk just fine fuck you doctors!
                              Because I did everything late, developmentally speaking (walking, talking, etc.), a doctor told my mother when I was an infant that I would probably end up being retarded. I have always wanted to find this doctor and send him my SAT scores as a fine "fuck you." Sadly, mom has no idea what his name was. (This WAS 40 years ago, after all!)

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                              19. I saw Return of the Jedi in theaters when it was originally released in 1983.
                              Please. I have seen every single one of the Star Wars movies in the theaters, during their initial runs. Of course, I am eight years older than you.

Quoth Princess J View Post
                              Sometimes people can be so judgemental about what we read or listen to.
                              I get a lot of shit from some of my male friends for the number of female artists I love to listen to, and an inordinate amount of shit when people, male or female, find out my favorite band is Heart. (Other female artists that I rock out to: Sheryl Crow, the Go-Go's, Vixen, L7, Stevie Nicks, Avril Lavigne, Pat Benatar, the Runaways, Transvision Vamp (lead singer was female, anyway), Four Non Blondes, the Cranberries (female lead singer), Jewel, Melissa Etheridge, etc., etc. You get the idea. I just think the female voice is often just better to listen to. Especially with some of these artists listed.

If people don't like it? Fuck 'em.

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                              1. I prefer The Silmarillion to both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.
                              That is odd. Personally, I found The Silmarillion unreadable, and despite trying to read it twice, have never finished it. In my opinion, Christopher was just not the writer his father was, and he could not adequately finish the book. Of course, you are going to disagree with me on this, but that's my take on it.

Quoth Midnight12 View Post
                              1. would prefer to eat most of my food with chopsticks but as I have yet to own a solid non wood pair forks it is. (IE a polished or lacquered set)
                              You really should get a set. They are quite awesome.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Female artists rule! I love Heart, and I've gotten into the Runaways lately. A list of people I've been listening to:

Linda Ronstadt (seventies/eighties when she still did rock and roll)
                                Vonda Shepard (she was most famous for being on Ally Mcbeal)
                                Joni Mitchell -- nuff said
                                ALANIS MORISSETTE -- she did an acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill that I find way more interesting than that original
                                Patsy Cline -- classic

Anyways....to be more on topic I also have a lazy eye and while I can NOT see in 3d I do have excellent periphial vision. Yeah 3d movies are lost on me. No depth perception.

Comment

Working...
                                X