Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He drank deeply of the coffee, hummed as it entered his veins, then shook the cup sadly when it was empty. "Arlington and the Tomb, the Wall, the Korean Monument, maybe that new World War Two memorial?"

Comment

• "And he may have mentioned an incident with Reagan... Maybe something involving a stuck cufflink... was pretty ploughed at that point..."

Comment

• ((mytical I'm sorry I didn't see your post in all that))

artie nods in understanding, "Some people are, Samara was alone doing this for the last 5 years. Stil likes to work alone if she can help it.....her partner....was...well he died....but I'm not the one to tell that story."

He shakes his head and sighs heavily running his hands through his hair as the computer beeps suddenly both Artie AND Ted looking to it instantly.

"well, we got a ping, artifact just popped up in Texas...oh dear....looks like...the a barrell....people are getting in it, falling from great hieghts, and walking away without a scratch.....and going back for more...."
        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

• "A Barrel? On it." Looks up the archive notes if any on what barrel has come up missing, while on the way to the last known location.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

• Ted finds reference to the niagra falls barrel that people have gone over the falls in, and survived. The records show its been missing from the warehouse for 6 years.
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

• Since this is a now apparently popular artifact, Ted knows he will at least need his Tesla. Somebody is probably making money off of this thing, and won't want to let it go easily. He will do his usual checking in to a hotel, get some rest, and first thing in the morning start investigating. Who, when, where, that sort of thing.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

• Josiah was wearing his warmest, but somehow the center of the world's most lauded government had weather that could freeze an Inuit. A gust of wind straight off the polar icecap cut through Josiah, clean to the bone.
                "Christ! Does it have to be 50 below out here?!"
                Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Samara was wearing jeans and a light windbreaker, the same wind ruffling her hair just slightly from the tight braid that coiled at the base of her neck.

"I find it rather pleasent....wait till winter hits back home....thats prarie cold...I remember one winter growing up it was so cold the mercury dropped in the thermometer and froze there. The cold lasted with blizzard like conditions till almost mid April. Was our first winter married...." Samara's voice trails off as she continues walking seemingly lost in thought, Josiah never remembering a wedding ring on her finger.

Josiah actually seems to enjojy the day, as Samara drags him through most of Washington, showing him things he was 99% certain were not on a normal tour route, taking him to lunch at an eatery in the middle of downtown that was barely big enough to hold the 6 or so tables, but the best food and coffee he'd had ever.

After lunch she checks the time then hails a cab, and gives VERY specific directions to someplace in the VA side of things.

Up until they get out of the cab and Sam pays does she lead him with almost quiet reverence to a cemetary, which he instantly recognizes as Arlington, as they approach the Tomb of the Unknown solider. She places a finger to her lips and gestures him to just watch....as the changing and inspection of the guard is played out moments later right before his eyes.

Comment

• Josiah watched reverently as the guard paced his 21 steps, clacked his heels loudly, about-faced, then resumed his measrued 21 paces. A poem he'd read came to mind and he held his tongue until the ceremony was over.
                    "It's said the 3rd Infantry Division actually told a President in recent years they would guard the Tomb even through the wrath of an inbound hurricane, then made good on it."
                    On the way out of Arlington, Josiah made three more stops. He stopped at the eternal flame of Kennedy, where he shared a murmured moment with the slain former President. Then he paused to search the immortal faces of the Iwo Jima Memorial another moment and whispered, "Thank you. Godspeed, Marines."
                    As he and Sam walked toward the exit, Josiah stopped and righted a fallen flag that had been placed before a tombstone. The date read "17 September 1862". Josiah didn't realize he had a tear running down his face as he asked the man who had fallen in the Battle of Anteitam, "Thank you. Have I earned what you fought to preserve?"
                    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 12-12-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Samara just stood quietly behind him, a certain stiffness in her spine, "All you can do to honor their memory, is keep living your life that they died for. If you need a moment theres one more grave I need to stop by..."

Without waiting for an answer she heads off into the oldest part of the cemetary, where he finds her later kneeling before an old and very weathered headstone, dating back to the civil war. She's straightening some flowers before it, and silent tears run unchecked down her cheeks.

Comment

• When Sam stood, she found Josiah in the pose of a textbook-perfect Civil War salute.
                        In the cab, Josiah explained, "I am... was... a Civil War reenactor. I did it because I believe the men... and women... who gave their lives in that terrible war did so because they believed in what the USA truly meant. If saluting the grave you stopped at was direspectful, I'm sorry. I have a relative who died at Gettysburg with the 1st Minnesota on July 2nd, 1863."

Comment

• "That was my....great great grandfather....he was part of the Jennison's Jayhawkers....he just never made it home....I think I still have some of his things in storage."

She stands up and wipes her eyes dry, before turning and offering a smile. "been a few years since I was here, couldn't pass up the chance to say hi to him again."

Comment

• Josiah respectfully offered, "I... I still have a bit of cleaning to do on my Enfield; it would be an honor to clean your ancestor's weapon. If I may be so bold as to offer?"

Comment

• "Naw, I take it to the firing range every now and then just to keep it sharp. Come on...looks like it might start snowing soon. "

Sure enough on their ride back to Washington and their hotel heavy rain starts falling with thick flakes mixed in.

Over an early supper, Samara gets a phone call that she gestures Josiah to listen in on, Holdwell's voice coming through clearly.

"We're holding a conference tonight, can you two be ready by 1900? We think it may set up our target to get snagged on quickly."

Comment

• Josiah considered. "What's the location, where are likely sniper nests?"

Comment

Working...
                                X