This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Training

If you can't tell already, I think I wanna join the Navy. These had me rolling around in tears, especially the DCA and Executive Officer. Officers' IRL job descriptions are somewhat explained in their names, but you can look them up if you don't understand:

All you have to do to become a Surface Warfare or Supply Officer is complete the at-home training curriculum in the following pipelines:

1. Navigator: Tie a brick around your neck and stare out the living room window for hours at a time. Call your father every time a car passes by your house. Take bearings to random streetlights.

2. First Lieutenant: Muster the kids out in the backyard. Tell them to paint the house haze gray. When your 10 year old spills a gallon of paint in the pool, reduce him in age to 9 and cut his allowance.

3. Combat Information Center Officer (CICO): Turn off all the lights in the house and put the A/C on high. Put earmuffs on all the kids and make them sit in front of a blank TV screen for 8 hours at a time. Berate them when they can't figure out a Senior Officer Afloat to get from the kitchen to the downstairs bathroom instantaneously. Resort to several years of intensive psychotherapy.

4. Senior Tactical Officer (STO): Strut around the house ranting to anyone you see in a rare form of ancient Gaelic. When they don't understand, chuckle and tell them that the toaster and the microwave "just aren't talking."

5. FCO: Follow around STO. Randomly nod in agreement.

6. Main Propulsion Assistance (MPA): Pour your lawnmower's gasoline can into the pool. Run around the house three times, then throw 12 rolls of toilet paper into the pool. Finally, pull out the phone book and call every person in neighborhood and tell them "it was only a cup's worth." Resort to heavy drinking.

7. Weapons Officer: Make the whole family shoot the family shotgun into the pool. Roll out the garden hose to the front lawn and spray any suspicious visitors including your neighbors and the mailman. Tell Grandma she can't come in to visit the kids because she's not on the access list.

8. FSO: Drive around the neighborhood kidnapping local children. Dress them up in silly outfits and force them to do all the household chores. When they protest, make them sit in 150 degree bath water and gleefully throw food and plastic cups at them.

9. Electrical Officer: Lay around the house, occasionally get up and walk to the basement to trip random circuit breakers and time how long it takes for STO to find his way there in the dark.

10. Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) Officer: About once every year, throw a cucumber into the pool. Put on a blindfold and tie your hands behind your back with a small garden hose. Dive in and try to find the cucumber using only your mouth. Have the kids fire green flares at you every ten minutes.

11. Supply Officer: Walk from bedroom to bedroom with magical bottomless cup of coffee in hand. Skillfully bring fellow housemates' misfortunes to the forefront to steer conversation away from the fact that they are forced to use saran wrap as underwear while waiting for the standard 3 week laundry turnaround period to expire.

12. German Exchange Officer: Follow around Supply Officer. Randomly nod in agreement.

13. Damage Control Assistance (DCA): Set your alarm clock to go off at random during the night, jump up and get dressed as fast as you can making sure you button up the top button on your shirt and stuff your pants into your socks. Close every door in the house, then run out into the backyard and uncoil the garden hose.

14. CSO: See FCO

15. Operations Officer: Climb to the highest point of the house and jump off headfirst into the driveway. Trust me, its better this way.

16. Executive Officer: Every so often, throw the cat in the pool and shout "Man overboard, starboard side" Then run into the house and sweep all the pots and dishes off the counter. Yell at the wife and kids for not having the kitchen "stowed for sea."

17. Chief Engineer: Crawl into a sleeping bag and tie it off at its end. Have the kids beat you mercilessly with whiffle ball bats while your wife yells at you through a megaphone "Engineering Casualty, Engineering Casualty."
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

My dad was in the Navy. USS Hugh Purvis.

"Haze gray and under way!"
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I think someone around the board has a sig of:
      US Navy Rules:
      1. Go to Sea.
      2. Drink Coffee.
      3. Deploy Marines
      ... also, you are a braver soul than I for even considering the armed forces. ... there's also another sig around the board that's something to the effect of "well, at least in the army you can shoot people who are threatening to kill you-- in retail you just gotta sit there and take it."
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I was in the Navy and seeing these, made me giggle cuz some of them are so true XD

2, 7 ,8 , 9, 11, 13 , 14 and 16 made me lol cuz some of those things were done at sea or boot camp. Except (thankfully) we didn't throw anyone in the ocean.

Comment

Working...
        X