This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared of my Super

So in the building where I live there are two supers, let's call them Paul and Jim. Now, Paul is the guy that I talked to when I moved in, the guy who I signed my lease with, and the guy who appears to work days. Jim seems to be the super on call in the evenings. I have no idea about weekends. I am petrified of Jim.

Jim is not cruel or physically intimidating, but he is kind of a jerk. I have checked with other tenants, and he is apparently usually in a bad mood. Last year when I first moved in I had a couple of instances where I got locked out of the building, or my apartment. This culminated when I came home from dinner one night around 9pm, and could not find my keys. (It turns out that my purse had a tear in the lining and they were in the lining. It took my days to figure this out.) Anyway, he gave me a huge lecture on how the Oncall phone is only for Emergencies. (This confused me as I thought being locked out was an emergency) This lecture was so damning that months later, when I dropped my keys and my door closed behind me, locking me out, I chose to sit in the hallways crying rather than call my super, as I did not want another of these lectures. One of my neighbours took pity on me, and called him for me. When he asked why I was crying, I told him it was because of the lecture he gave me last time. He then assured me that he had no problem with me calling during the day time, but calling after nine is the problem.

I'm already a pretty social anxious, non-confrontational person, so my reaction to all this is to pretty much just avoid the man. I'm pretty much a ghost. So last night the main light in my apartment stopped working. I live in a bachelor, so other than the kitchen, bathroom, etc there is only one light source for the majority of my apartment. Last night around 8:30, when I went to turn that light on, it did not work. Whether is broke or the light bulbs just went out, I am unsure. But the fixture is really complex, so even if it was all three bulbs going out at once, I would need one of my supers to fix it. However, I was petrified that I would get lectured at if I tried calling the "emergency" line about my light not working, especially after 8. So I decided to just deal for the night, e-mail my supers, and then head to the office if I didn't hear from them by noon. Then I realized this morning that today is Sunday so no one will be in the office, meaning the e-mail won't be checked and there will be no one for me to talk to. Now the obvious answer would be just to call the emergency line to ask for someone to come fix my lights, but I'm utterly petrified of doing so.

I honestly don't know what to do. I can't call them because I literally freeze up at the idea, but I can't go without lights for another full day. It is not as bright today was it was yesterday. I think my super gave me that lecture last year so that I wouldn't bother him, and now it's succeeded far too well.

UPDATE- Paul came by and it turns out that all of my bulbs just blew at once. He replaced two, and will get the rest next week.
    Last edited by hinakiba777; 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Does he have a boss you can complain to, because that behavior is NOT OK.

Call the emergency line, you can't go without light long enough for the non-emergency procedures.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I know who is boss is, but all of the incidents with him happened 9 to 11 months ago, so it would be weird to voice it now.
      Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
      Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

You have two problems that need to be addressed.

First, buy a table lamp/floor lamp/something. You need more than one light source in a room. Even if you could figure out the light fixture, you would not have enough light to change the bulb. Now the broken light is no longer an emergency.

Second, talk to Paul and get a clarification on what is considered an emergency.

If Jim ever gives you another lecture, don't wait 9 month. That behavior is unprofessional.

And lastly, check your circuit breakers/fuse box.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          First, buy a table lamp/floor lamp/something. You need more than one light source in a room.
          a camping lantern would be a good idea, in case of power outage, or lightbulb outage.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

You need to realize something, Hina--Jim is not your boss, he is not your coworker. You are HIS CUSTOMER. You are paying for the right to be there, not being paid. Don't be afraid of making him mad--he needs to show you the same respect he would any customer, and if he doesn't, go over his head and DEMAND better customer service. Remember, it may feel like he's in charge of you, but he works for YOU and the other tenants, not the other way round.

Comment

I read the thread title and immediately thought of this guy:

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
              X