Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Comes Life to Kick My Ass Again...

The last few months have been awesome. I should have seen this coming, honestly.

So about 10 days ago, I was at my old house. I was minding my own business, sitting on the floor sorting and packing things. After awhile, I tried to get up and I couldn't because of the explosion of pain in my lower back. My SO helped me up, and even though she did so gently, I was bawling from the pain by the time I was on my feet. I went to my doctor the next day, turns out one of my vertebrae attempted to jump ship and was not exactly where it was supposed to be. Since I yelped as soon as she barely poked it, my doctor was afraid to do an adjustment at that point so instead did an ultrasound massage. She ordered me to take it easy for a couple of days, so I called in sick. I was back in her office on Friday, having missed a full week of work and still having way too much trouble getting around. She did an adjustment, and I actually felt a little better. It still hurt, but I could stand up straight for the first time in 6 days. Saturday I tried to be on my feet as much as possible, as I'd be going back to work Sunday. It was unpleasant, but I thought it would be manageable. Then Sunday I was trying to get ready for work, bracing through the pain. I had myself convinced that it wasn't so bad, and then it occurred to me that there was no way in hell I could get my socks or boots on (I'd been wearing sandals all week and hadn't thought of that). So now I've applied for FMLA at work and I'm awaiting a referral for physical therapy.

I don't even know what I did to hurt my back. I didn't even know it was hurt until I tried to stand up. My best guess is that my back will always be a problem and prone to giving out thanks to that wreck I had in '06 where I rolled my car and messed it up in the first place.

And now my SO got some crappy news today at her job. She works for the local encoding center for USPS, which is closing in about 12 months. Which we knew about. She's a "career," so they have to find her another job within the USPS. But now it seems they're going to try to get rid of her position by August, which means we'll probably be packing up and leaving soon. And it could be anywhere in the US. Which is a problem because my kids are here. So, I'll have to figure out how to do long-distance visits. And there's always the chance the court will just deny such arrangements for, say, me having my kids in the summer months and splitting the cost of travel with my ex (which is my understanding of how these things work) and just decide it sucks to be me and I won't see them at all. I am still suffering from the fallout of the financial nuke called "divorce," and I can't possibly survive on my own income alone anymore. We knew our future job and housing situation was uncertain, but we were planning on at least another 9 months. Now we may have about 1 month to figure something out.

Oh, and just for shits and giggles, they changed her days off as of right now. We no longer share any days off together. Apparently they can do this as they please since she is "full-time flex," which means they can change her days off whenever they want (but usually don't). I work 2nd shift and she works 3rd, so on days we both work, one of us is sleeping or at work when the other is home.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Oh hun *massive hugs* I don't know what to say beyond sending lots of love, well wishes and hoping that your back can be sorted out soon.
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Have your SO talk to the APWU about the places they could send her. Generally the PO doesn't like sending anyone more then 300 miles away unless they themselves try for that job.

Comment

Well, the problem is she has a medical issue from a blown knee and subsequent surgery. So she wouldn't be able to be a mail carrier or anything like that because she can't be on her feet for long periods of time. So she needs a desk job, like the REC. The latest offer at her center was one of three call centers. One in LA (the hell with that), one in Michigan (10 feet of snow, no thanks), or one in Jersey (the most promising of the three). Our current lease is through August, so we have at least some time to wait for other things to be put on the table.

Comment

I didn't say to talk to them about getting her into another craft, I said to talk to them about finding where she might go with her position. And what the heck is wrong with snow? *peers* You know how often the mitten gets 10ft? NOT OFTEN specially not where that center is located. *huffs and gazes out at her lovely Michigan weather*
          Last edited by Aethian; 06-13-2013, 12:34 AM. Reason: Had to pretend to be all offended at the Michigan comment...

Comment

And now it would seem we're heading for Salt Lake City. We hadn't even considered that as a viable option, but they'll pay for all moving expenses and it's looking like the most sound choice of everything we've seen so far.

Comment

Quoth Kara View Post
              ...heading for Salt Lake City...
              Good morning, campers! - Uncle Ernie
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That really sucks about your back Kara....as for the moving, that also sucks, but you've held strong through worse. Just stare at all the trouble in the eye, laugh maniacally, and tell it "You aren't SQUAT, I'm the mutha-effin' Kara, witch. You picked the wrong woman to mess with."
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I'm so sorry, honey. Mine did that on Monday, but I only lost a day to pain. In my case, though, I think it's the disk trying to jump ship.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

*HUG SQUISHES YOU*

Life, I will come over there and hurt you. *bites life's toes* Grr.
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----
                    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I'm feeling a bit better about the move situation. Things are lining up, it definitely seems like it's meant to be. We're going to take a little road trip up to Salt Lake City this weekend to look at potential places to live, since we found out today that she has a guaranteed position there. The judge wants a parenting plan anyway, so I'll propose that I get my kids for all or part of the summer every year. It's about all I can do, and I the way I understand it, that's how they usually do parenting time when the parents live in different states. As for my job, it won't break my heart to not be working at a prison anymore, although it would be interesting to see what it's like a facility that's better funded, better equipped, and better staffed (Kansas is the second-lowest funded prison system in the US).

I also saw my doctor today, and I'm starting physical therapy next week. As soon as I can get to where I can sit up for 8 hours a day, I can go back to work on limited duty and just hang out in control rooms.

Comment

safsdafdsf

Come say hi to meeeeeee~~! Please?

eta: that was...whiny. But I would like to see you.
                        Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 06-14-2013, 11:41 PM.
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----

Comment

How is the cost of living differential?

Or do they do that any longer? Back in 1982 my BF of the time and I knew a guy who worked in the PO doing something arcane other than delivery [he had severe scoliosis I believe, something seriously wrong and twisty with his body, anyway] and he mentioned that he moved to Hilton NY [just outside Rochester NY] because he wanted to leave NY city, and he got the same wage and moved to an area that was around 75% the cost of living of where he had been in NYC.

[He and his GF were discussing taking a position at the PO in some podunk little town in West VA because it was even cheaper to buy land and live there]

Though as places to move, Salt Lake City is OK if you can get past the religious bigots ... been through there a few times on road trips, and it seems fairly quiet and unexciting.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Most people here, fortunately enough, are nice folks who just want to be nice.

We do have our dingbats, though.
                            -----

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                              Though as places to move, Salt Lake City is OK if you can get past the religious bigots ... been through there a few times on road trips, and it seems fairly quiet and unexciting.
                              Hey, I've survived Kansas religious bigots AND militant, gun-toting uber conservatives. I can handle them

As far as cost of living, everything we've looked at so far is actually VERY comparable to the cost of living here.

Comment

Working...
                              X