This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with a jerk? (Long)

The ex I broke up with...well...I am trying to be friends, but he is crossing the line.

We're still close and I still want to be around him before he leaves, but lately he is being a huge jerkoff. Why? Cause of a stray kitty.

Like my first from April, my friends and I found another stray. A male tabby. We named him Sapporo Car Bomb. (Don't hate)

Car Bomb is still a kitten but aside from a few moody moments, is very friendly and lovable. To everyone. (Much better than my Guinness who hates interaction unless you're sleeping or have food) He isn't fixed but we're working on that.

I told my ex we found a cat and would keep him outside. My new apartment is a safe haven for cats and rabbits, and people keep those pets outside cause its a like a tiny forest-y meadow-y like place. (The rabbits were turned loose by previous tenants, don't really come near people anymore, so we just feed them)

I think Car Bomb was previously owned, or may have been fostered, cause I smelled the type of flea medication we would give my late kitty Gizmo. Plus his personality and how the first thing he did in my house was go to the litterbox naturally, made us wonder. But no one has been claiming him and no one is missing a kitty it seems, so me and my neighbors help take care of him.

My ex...started being a total douche-monger about the whole thing. Started saying I was diseased cause of the kitty, and that he won't come near me. I knew he disliked cats, but that was fine before. He never started like this. He keeps saying I could have scabies or rabies or "parasites that come from saliva in the cats"

Scabies? No. Because we BOTH previously got scabies. Me once, him twice, and I remember being told by my doctor once you're exposed, latter cases come up much quicker cause you know what to look for plus your skin gets agitated easier.

Rabies? I doubt it. The parasites? I know kitties have worms but in my years of helping shelters and such in town, along with taking Zoology classes, I never heard of kitties here getting people sick with those.

He keeps taking it too far. I told him if he doesn't want to see me he CAN man up and just tell me so without being offensive but he keeps saying this is the only reason, but he won't drop it when I tell him to. I changed the subject but it goes back to that.

I'm diseased? He sounds like the one who is. In the head.

I miss him, but he is really making me want to cut off contact. Its that bad. Almost 4 years of being close being ruined over a cat? WTH

I've NEVER heard of getting scabies from a kitten licking you. And I've lived with ... oh 4 cats now. One of them we actually picked up from the wild ourselves even.

If he's actually saying you ARE diseased because of this... it may be a sign that it's not a healthy relationship. It doesn't sound like he's actually concerned about you, but rather is using this as a method to insult you and cut you down.

Is this the first time he's lashed out at you? Or is this something that's happened more than once - over something that you think is small? If this is a habit, or extremely severe behavior, you may want to consider a "time out" with communications. it may be his way of showing (somewhat immaturely unfortunately) that he's not ready for a post-relationship friendship with you.

Also, if you're unsure if the cat has an owner, you may want to try checking with the local vets or animal control, or the pound to see if anyone's reported a missing cat. You can also ask either one to scan the cat to see if it's been chipped.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 06-19-2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

If he's actually saying you ARE diseased because of this... it may be a sign that it's not a healthy relationship. It doesn't sound like he's actually concerned about you, but rather is using this as a method to insult you and cut you down.

Is this the first time he's lashed out at you? Or is this something that's happened more than once - over something that you think is small? If this is a habit, or extremely severe behavior, you may want to consider a "time out" with communications. it may be his way of showing (somewhat immaturely unfortunately) that he's not ready for a post-relationship friendship with you.
      He IS saying I am diseased. This is also not the first time he lashed out at me, but he never outright called me diseased over a cat.
      I think you are mostly correct but then he also gets mad at me if I don't reply on facebook or Kakao fast enough. /eyeroll

Comment

Wait, you broke up, but he still expects you to respond to him lightening fast?

Yeah, no.

Even beyond the cat (which is a smoke screen, I'm sure), his getting mad at you for not responding is a bit more telling for me. He still wants you to respond like you would when dating him, not like you would as an independent person.

Definitely time to put him in a time-out.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
          Wait, you broke up, but he still expects you to respond to him lightening fast?

Yeah, no.

Definitely time to put him in a time-out.
          Funny thing is, I don't respond any faster or slower. Sometimes I just took forever anyways.

Comment

You say you're trying to be friends with him. He isn't. No qualifications, no discussions. He doesn't want to be your friend. He's trying to control you.

Personally, I wouldn't have any contact with him at all.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
              You say you're trying to be friends with him. He isn't. No qualifications, no discussions. He doesn't want to be your friend. He's trying to control you.

Personally, I wouldn't have any contact with him at all.
              I think he still wants me around, but is too confused how to handle it. He is a naturally dominating person, and I usually am too, I just gave in most of the time for no arguments.

He was there for me a lot, but this incident is pissing me off.

Comment

Well, he calmed down when it came clear I was going to block him. /eyeroll.

As for kitty, taking him to vet tomorrow.

Comment

Block him anyway. He's a controlling douche. Better to cut the cord.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

He doesn't want to be friends. Friends are equals. He wants to be dominant. He's trying to cut you down by using insults and other nasty remarks. Not healthy and not safe. It's up to you, but I really wouldn't want to be around this guy.

As for rabies, you'd know pretty damn fast if you had it. And he knows that.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I couldn't be with someone that didn't like kitties. My husband wasn't too big on kitties at first until he met my baby girl and now she sits in his lap.

I really think that, if he's talking to you this way, he isn't worth the effort.

Comment

Everybody here is right. This guy is setting off red flags and alarms for me, and I don't even know him or you. He's a control freak, and you're better off without him.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Everybody here is right. This guy is setting off red flags and alarms for me, and I don't even know him or you. He's a control freak, and you're better off without him.
                          I'm voting for this. His attitude stinks. Unless he's a veterinarian, he's in no position to say what you could or couldn't catch from your kitty. I've picked up strays literally off the streets and have never, ever "caught" anything from them.

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                          He IS saying I am diseased. This is also not the first time he lashed out at me, but he never outright called me diseased over a cat.
                          I think you are mostly correct but then he also gets mad at me if I don't reply on facebook or Kakao fast enough. /eyeroll
                          Too bad for him. I find this verging from just "jerk" behaviour to somewhat scary. He sounds like somebody who doesn't want to let go but who wants to keep you around only on his terms. He's not the Grand Poobah of the Univese, whatever his delusions, and to get PO'd because he doesn't get an answer in a time frame that he deems acceptable is just way beyond the pale.

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                            If he's putting a time limit on how fast you have to reply, then a "time out" may indeed be something to consider.

You're not his anymore. Part of that means that he doesn't get to control what you do - and if he is trying to then... it may be time to clarify some boundaries.

Comment

As someone who volunteers at a cat shelter, I've dealt with many feral cats and strays (I had to wear thick gloves and a mask because three of them were extremely violent and confrontational). The fact that he hasn't been difficult, has an idea of where things are in the house, suggests to me that this kitten has had contact with humans, and is relatively comfortable. In essence, you're fostering a cat, which seems quite common in your area anyways.

I think your ex is just a tad bit bonkers. Or jealous that you're giving kitten there more attention. Either way, chalk up losses. I would kick him to the curb. Tell him to piss off and get out of there. Why the hell should you have to put up with his crazy shit?

Comment

Working...
                              X