This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going hair free

Tomorrow afternoon, I will be the proud owner of a hairless head.

Ok, so maybe not hairless but it will be army buzz cut down. My hair is currently past my waist..this will be a bit of a change for me. I'm actually excited!

My mom had her 2nd chemo treatment and is now almost bald. Were doing it together.

Pics to follow unless something goes horribly wrong..(like I have the mark of the beast under all this hair.)

ETA. Not tomorrow actually, just later Saturday afternoon. I haven't slept yet, so it's tomorrow for me.

Get before and after pics! If not to share with us, at least for your own posterity!

I also think it's sweet you're doing this with your mom. Kudos for that ^^
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Get the hairdresser or whoever cuts it to bag your hair once it has been clipped, you can always give it to one of those charity organisations that makes wigs from human hair for people that are bald as a result of chemo

(I forget the name of said organisation - Sarlon might be able to fill us in though, she has donated part of her hair a couple of times in the past)
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

If I recall correctly, one of the more well known charities is Locks of Love.

Having gone from very long hair to super short, let me warn you that it's going to affect your balance somewhat. You're used to compensating for several lbs of hair hanging from your head, removing it all in one go is gonna be really noticeable for a few days.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I've read some weird stuff about Locks of Love. So you might do some research and see what you're comfortable with. Another group that takes in hair is one that's run by Pantene, but I don't remember what it's called.

Ah: Beautiful Lengths. American Cancer Society also refers people to Wigs for Kids.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
            Tomorrow afternoon, I will be the proud owner of a hairless head.

Ok, so maybe not hairless but it will be army buzz cut down. My hair is currently past my waist..this will be a bit of a change for me.
            And what are you doing with the hair? If it isn't already in the plans, might i suggest Locks of Love?
            Last edited by Ree; 07-16-2013, 12:32 PM.
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

There's also Pantene Beautiful Lengths and Wigs for Kids. My wife regularly grows and donates. There was a (minor) controversy concerning Locks of Love, but their rebuttal seems pretty legit to me. Be mindful that their primary focus is on children with alopecia, whereas Pantene's is on women with cancer. If you go that route, tell your clipper ahead of time, it has to be handled differently.

Best wishes toward your mom.

ETA: lol, I'm a little late outta the gate there - comes of opening lots of tabs and reading them throughout the day.

Comment

As someone who recently got her own head buzzed, trust me when I say you'll feel a lot freer with it gone.

My hair wasn't as long as yours (just down to my shoulder) but I still noticed a big difference when I got it buzzed off.

I mentioned in Sick Bay what I was going through health-wise, but what I didn't mention was that my hair was falling out due to malnourishment. It was noticeably thin and I was ending up with a huge clump in my brush every time I brushed my hair.

I finally decided to just get a buzz cut to give my hair a chance to start over, and I'm really glad I did. I feel cooler in these hot summer days without the hair around my head and neck.

Buzzed is definitely the way to go this time of year.
                my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

As someone who recently went through chemo, give your mom my best, and I second the suggestions to donate the hair if you can. I was lucky, my hair thinned, but didn't desert me. It's now coming back, for which I'm very grateful.
                  Thank you for what you're doing to support your mom.
                  That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Important note: Depending on the weather there, you may VERY well want to apply sunscreen to your head on a regular basis - the skin on your scalp is VERY sensitive since it is usually protected by your hair - scalp sunburns are rather unpleasant from what I have heard from one of my friends - even better, get a sunscreen/moisturiser 2 in one, you may find your scalp may dry out too.
                    Violets are blue,
                    Roses are red,
                    I bequeath to thee...
                    A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                      Important note: Depending on the weather there, you may VERY well want to apply sunscreen to your head on a regular basis - the skin on your scalp is VERY sensitive since it is usually protected by your hair - scalp sunburns are rather unpleasant from what I have heard from one of my friends - even better, get a sunscreen/moisturiser 2 in one, you may find your scalp may dry out too.
                      This is important, yes. I started shaving my head two years ago (due to thinning and graying) and haven't looked back, but one of the first things I bought was skin moisturizer for my scalp. I'm not usually outdoors enough to worry about a sunburn on my dome, but when I am anticipating long periods outdoors, I always put some sunscreen on my head. Last thing I needed was a burn up there.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

It's wonderful you're supporting your mom. When you decide to grow out, might I suggest a forum I'm fond of? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...isplay.php?f=9 There are a few people who started growing out at the buzz stage. As Miss Maple Leaf said, a fresh start is nice.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

So, I did it. I am officially unhaired.

My mom was very emotional through the whole time. I think she was overwhelmed with us shaving our heads for her. it was initially just to be me and my aunt and my mother. But after watching my aunt and I get our heads shaved, my sis in law jumped in too. That made my mom cry all the more.

We were able to get my cousin to cut our hair. He's a barber/social worker (weird combo, Lol) and had all the stuff we needed. We had it done in my moms yard which is pretty spacious.

I've been briefed on the sunblock on the head by hubby who is balding. Its so weird to have no hair. I got really cold this evening.

I will be sending my braid to Locks of Love on Monday.

First 2 attachments are BEFORE pics. I cant for the life of me get them to turn the right way!!

The last 2 pics are after the cut. Last pic is me and my mom. Thank you for for your kind words.
                          Attached Files

Comment

You're so pretty! That buzz cut looks really good on you What an awesome thing to do. How is your mom doing?

Comment

How lovely! You and your mom are definitely a pair
                              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                              X