This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite ethnic foods?

Rather than jacking the thread in Sightings about the bad behavior at a kebab place, I thought I would start my own here. I love Hawaiian (saimin especially), Lebanese, and just about any kind of Asian food, and I love to try new types of cuisine. I even know the difference between Hunan, Szechuan, and Mandarin cooking. What are your favorite types of "ethnic" or foreign foods?

Chicken Makhni (or makhani, I've seen it spelled both ways).

And baklava.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So far, the only ethnic food I've sampled that I didn't care for was Ethiopian, but it might just be that I didn't like what the friends I was with ordered (the meal was served communal-style), so I'd be up for trying it again.

Love authentic French and German/Polish foods and I actually like English pub fare (what?). Other favs are Lebanese, Indian, and Thai. Both the hubster and I love to try new cuisines, it's one of our favorite parts about travelling. As far as American regional food goes, I'll always have a soft spot for Cajun and Creole cooking as we honeymooned in N'awlins.
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I love Indian food. Just last night, we got takeout from the local Indian place and I discovered the wonder that is vegetable korma and meat momo. Oh, and cinnamon lassi. *_* All of it was so nummy.

I'm also quite partial to Thai, Irish, and Venezuelan food.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Thai and Greek. I love pahd thai and anything with peanut sauce, not to mention Thai iced tea (Noodles with peanut sauce are a weekly staple in our household). And I love lamb gyros and spanakopita and tiropita and baklava and all the other Greek things. Put tzatziki sauce on everything. Sriracha and tzatziki. Yesssss!
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Lets see...mexican, tex- mex,.creole, cajun, italian, asian, greek, french....what can i say...i like food =)

Comment

Indian food>>>>>>Anything else.

My local Indian restaurant's butter chicken with basmati rice and mulligatawny soup would be my final meal if I was on death row.
              My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
              My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

I also recently discovered the amazing that is hu tien mi at my local pho place; while pho is a Northern Vietnamese soup, hu tien mi is the favorite of South Vietnam. Never really had Indian, truthfully, I keep meaning to but there aren't many Indian places around here I've heard much about. If I had the money, it would be interesting to try the Brazilian BBQ place downtown....

Comment

Anything without mushrooms, bivalves, coconut/palm products, anisey/licchoricy flavored anything, zucchini, okra, bell or really HOT peppers, eggplant or nonaccidental insects. [well, also the oily overly fishy tasting fish like mackaral, sardines, anchovies ... ]

I am deathly allergic to shrooms, mildly allergic [projectile vomiting] to bivalves, [digestive issues and the runs] to palm products and the rest I will always admit is an intense dislike to the food, not an allergy or sensitivity. Well, I can take some degrees of heat from peppers, but bell peppers have a nasty taste to me and I did too many liquid medications when young that were doped up with licchorice to mask the bitter taste to get near anything tasting that way. And I refuse to bother to look up how to spell it to correct the spelling.

I tried Ethiopian for the first time last spring, and found the chopped spiced raw beef way to freaking hot to eat [they must have switched my extra mild with someone who wanted extra hellish burn] but when we made it at home a little while back, and I could adjust the heat to my taste, it was fine, making the injira was a last, and we now add Ethiopian to our regular rotation. Last night we had Lions Head Meatball soup for dinner
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'm equal opportunity here...Mexican, Tex-Mex, Italian, Indian, and Ethiopian are all tied at the top of my list. Thai food and Japanese Ramen (the real stuff, not the instant noodles) are close behind.
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

SUSHI!!!!

I also love Chinese and Thai. My local Thai place has an amazing pineapple fried rice that comes IN A PINEAPPLE! It. Is. Awesome. German cuisine is also excellent (mmmm, saurbratten) and I cook the potato pancakes fairly regularly. Gotta have the chunky applesauce to top it with, though. Indian is good. I guess in short my favorite ethnic food is....food.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Indian! I'm a sucker for a good vindaloo and some galub jamun. Almost anything curry gets my saliva flowing

Close second would be Mexican
                        My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

I'm not too picky with my foods, and I like all sorts of cuisines. However, my favourites would have to be Japanese and Greek.

I wish my town had both a Japanese restaurant and a Greek restaurant. I'd eat out every night.

And like LewisLegion, I also love a good curry. Too bad I'm not supposed to have spicy foods anymore.
                          my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                          it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
                            Indian! I'm a sucker for a good vindaloo and some galub jamun. Almost anything curry gets my saliva flowing
                            Don't forget the saag paneer!
                            "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                            "What IS fun to fight through?"
                            "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Another one for sushi here.

I'm going to try the teppenyaki soon at the sushi bar near my place.
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X