This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Hours

I saw a job listing a few months ago that caught my eye. I was tempted, briefly, to apply; I seemed qualified for it, at least on the basis of the ad. I didn't bother applying because I don't wanna move.

But apart from the qualifications were the hours. The hours fascinated me - I had never seen a job with hours like this.

Twelve hours a day, seven days a week - alternating weeks.

I had NEVER seen hours like that in my life. On the one hand, the idea of working an 84 hour week fills me with jeebies - on the other, your tradeoff is seven days without seeing the inside of an office or picking up a tool.

I've seen some interesting nontraditional hours before - one of my co-workers runs a four-day week with ten-hour days. As with the Interesting Job, it has the same number of hours as the rest of us, but the tradeoff is a longer break between weeks.

What do you think? Would you work an eighty-hour week if it meant only working every other week? Would you do that with your current job? Would you switch jobs to do it? I think I'd actually have to be doing it to know how those long, grim, twelve-hour days would sit with me, but that seven-days-off in between is one hell of a temptation.

The overnight shifts in my place work 7 on/7 off in 10 hour shifts. It wasn't that way when I worked the shift but thinking about it I'm glad it wasn't. I had a hard enough time sleeping when I had a few days off and I can't imagine getting back into it after a week off. Now if it was more day/evening hours I wouldn't mind it as much. I guess it would depend on the job, too. So I guess what I'm saying that I might be interested in that set up under the right circumstances.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

My husband's friend's wife is a doctor. She works regular practice and is on call at the ER 24 hours a day for a week straight, then gets a week off (both the practice and being on call). Sometimes the week on is hellish and sometimes it is quiet, but regardless she only works two weeks a month. Works out pretty well for them.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

ONLY IF the wages per week were high enough & IF they offered a comprehensive benefits package.

Comment

That's pretty standard in Alaska for any job dealing with the pipeline or the Slope. It just depends on your weeks on/weeks off. I have friends who do 4 on 1 off (they would love 1 on 1 off but it's not worth it for companys to fly them up), hubby did 2 on 2 off at the goldmine then oil pipeline. It was great because his first check paid all the bills then we had ~ 3000 for his 2 weeks off just to spend.

Now he's looking at 6 on 1 off for a job.

Comment

Working...
          X