This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sms001 View Post
    Name the only two days no professional sports are played in the United States....
    Quoth Jester View Post
    The two days after the baseball all star game.
    Glad this came up - my answer's always been "The day before and after the All-Star game" but apparently you're right, they had two days after in 2012 and this year. Good - makes the question lean people more toward holidays. (And I guess I'll start rephrasing is as "games" also - for those morons who think of the Derby as sport...)

Quoth Jester View Post
    ... pressing questions.
    How do you know this?
    Glad someone asked....

Comment

Light roast coffee has more caffeine than dark roast coffee. This is because the roasting process breaks caffeine down, much like how alcohol is cooked out of a sauce.

Also like alcohol in sauce, it's nigh impossible to get ALL the caffeine out of coffee. Trace amounts remain.

Both of these facts are a complete surprise to a lot of people. For some (those who insist that they cannot have even a micron of caffeine, else they would surely die...but they still drink decaf or eat chocolate. Or those that are unhappy because you're out of dark roast coffee and the light roast isn't strong enough) it's like telling a cat that cream is bad for it. It's true, but they refuse to listen.
      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Those little white ketchup/condiment cups you get at restaurants are meant to be expanded. That's why they have the little folded sides.
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

The "French" in "French Fries" does not refer to the country, but the type of cut, a "french cut".

The Hundred Years' War actually lasted 116 years.

The Battle of Bunker Hill was not fought on Bunker Hill, but actually at Breed's Hill, nearby.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

In Australia, Burger King restaurants are known as hungry jacks. This is due to the fact that when they originally expanded to the Aussie market, the name was trademarked by a takeaway shop in Adelaide.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The Porsche 911 was originally to be called the 901. It was only afterwards that French automaker Peugeot claimed a copyright on three-digit model numbers with a central zero.

When British manufacturer Morris was about to launch their Minor in '48, the car was judged too narrow. A completed car was cut down the middle. The two halves were then pulled apart a few inches. That's why the cars have the raised 'hump' on the hood and the painted metal plates on the bumpers.

...and not to be left out. The first 750cc car to exceed 100mph was an MG C-Type in 1931.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                No, really. Tell me something I don't know.
                I can push a broom with my belly button.
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Pro wrestling trivia...

Mick Foley/Mankind's finishing move The Mandible Claw was developed by a wrestler named Sam Sheppard, who wrestled in the '60's. Sheppard was more well known as a former surgeon who was convicted of murdering his wife in the '50's after a lengthy trial, and later acquitted in the '60's because of blood spatter evidence. That trial became the basis for the television series (and popular 1993 movie) "The Fugitive". Sheppard turned to wrestling because no medical facility wanted to be associated with him, even after his acquittal.
                  "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

So a less personal one...all my random trivia left me before. A group of butterflies is called a schmeterling in german. I apologize if i misspelled that!!

Comment

Nobuo Uematsu, the composer of a lot of the music from the Final Fantasy series, has a personal rock band that he conducts/plays with. They play a combination of original songs and remixes of Final Fantasy (and other video game) music that Uematsu wrote. The band used to be called The Black Mages when Uematsu and a couple of the other members were employees of SquareSoft/SquareEnix. When Uematsu left the company to become a contractor, The Black Mages were disbanded. His band is now called The Earthbound Papas. One of their first "solo" (not part of a bigger concert like Distant Worlds) live performance in the United States was in 2011 at OniCon in Galveston, TX.
                      Last edited by MaggieTheCat; 08-01-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, urinals had bees printed or stamped in their bottoms - this was for the amusement of educated gentlemen: the Latin for bee was `apis.`
                        Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post

The Battle of Bunker Hill was not fought on Bunker Hill, but actually at Breed's Hill, nearby.

Nathaniel Philbrick has a new book about the Battle of Bunker Hill.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane/Starship) was a magazine glamour model.
                            Janis Joplin was a folksinger.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth SailorMan View Post
                              In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, urinals had bees printed or stamped in their bottoms - this was for the amusement of educated gentlemen: the Latin for bee was `apis.`

I've seen those too. I always thought it was there to give them something to aim at to reduce splashing.
                              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                                In Australia, Burger King restaurants are known as hungry jacks. This is due to the fact that when they originally expanded to the Aussie market, the name was trademarked by a takeaway shop in Adelaide.
                                In Central Illinois,(USA) there is a town called Mattoon that has ma and pa restaurant called Burger King that traded marked the name in Illinois before the fast food place started. As a result of the trademark, and court cases, the fast food place can't build a restaurant withing a 20 mile circle of the ma and pa restaurant, and call it Burger King.

Onto other Random Crap..

The developer of the neighborhood I'm current living in, is the father of one of the founding members of the rock band 'Boston'.
                                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Working...
                                X