This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those of you with a green thumb, I need your help

I bought a cilantro (coriander, for those of you outside the U.S.) plant the other day, brought it home, and it began to wilt.

I watered it. I may have given it too much water. I don't know.

Now, after having removed many dead areas, much of the plant is wilty, with one brave stem still hanging in there and producing leaves.

I have discovered that this is very common among the plants I buy in supermarkets and bring home. Basil has done the same. What am I doing wrong?

HTML Code:
    http://voices.yahoo.com/10-tips-growing-own-cilantro-3103039.html?cat=32
    Looking at the tips, the author said similar about buying a plant rather than seeds - they don't seem to do well and get 'shocked'.

I'd suggest keep it in a cool but well lit spot, water whenever the soil dries out and see how it goes.

Good luck - I've never tried growing it myself, but I've grown other herbs and not had too much drama.

Comment

I've never had a problem with it outside - in fact, the trouble is usually to deadhead it back to keep it from flowering. Maybe the ones from the store are rootbound? Are you transplanting them?

Comment

No, I haven't transplanted it, but maybe I should.

Comment

Pictures help
          Is the soil packed and tight? Like hard dirt?(shouldn't be, but it does happen, it won't kill it)
          Is the soil damp? Do a knuckle check, moist under the surface to first knuckle? Ok. Grab a pinch of dirt, scrunch in hand. If it sticks together with loose bits around it, it's just right. If it's mud, well, no, and if it's dust dry, no.
          Rootbound, roots coming out of the bottom?
          Is there drainage from the pot?
          Light source/time span?
          Aphids? (those little bastards went to town on my cilantro. Fuckers)

Pics please!
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I'm no expert, but the standard way to deal with watering is to make sure the pot has drainage holes at the bottom corners, put it in a shallow dish, and water so that the dish is nearly full. This will keep the soil moist from the bottom up. A few plants are pickier than that, but since most evolved to survive the wild outdoors, those should be fairly uncommon.

Comment

Working...
            X