This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why my dad is a BAMF!

So the end of my visit home is upon me, (or not I might be here another week) and I decided that before I leave tomorrow I would clean the basement. I wanted to sort through all of my stuff down there and decide what I want to throw out, keep in storage, and-most importantly- what will come back with me to my flat. Among the things I am taking back is a messenger bag that up until an hour ago had a lock on it.

See I had put the lock on the bag a few years ago, when I knew the combination. I no longer know it, and I had no way to get it off the bag. Thinking my dad might have some bolt cutters I asked him to come downstairs to help, which leads to what may end up being one of my favorite Dad Memories EVER!

Dad comes downstairs and I ask him about bolt cutters, and he murmurs something about not having any. But he takes the bag from me and wanders over to the work bench. He sorts through the tools in the basket trying to find something that will do the work. He pulls out some sheers, but they don't work. He looks around a bit longer, then pauses. He looks to me, to the bag, to me again, and then back to the bag. Before saying;

Quoth Hina's Dad
    Maybe it will break if I hit it hard enough with a HAMMER.
    He then proceeds to go to the other room and beat the blazes out of the lock until it pops off my bag. I was in TEARS with laughter! It was just so hilarious, efficient, and badass! I love my dad!

Oh here's the LOCK now
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

If all else fails, UBH!

(Use Bigger Hammer)
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Way to go hina Dad!

Quoth dalesys View Post
      If all else fails, UBH!
      Despite years of construction/mechanical work, I always thought this was a facetious remark. Then, a couple of years ago, I was repairing a huge commercial mixer. The motor WOULD NOT DROP OUT. It was so solid that I even looked at the schematics to see if there was some sort of attachment I'd missed. Boss calls in his friend George (Sadly, now passed.) I give George the run down and his considered opinion from sixty plus years of experience is "Get a BFH." So we did. He went out to his truck and grabbed a sledge, which I tapped timidly against the axle. Nuthin'. "Give it a good whack." says George. BAMPHCLANG!!! Motor drops out pretty as you please.

Thanks George, and hinakiba's Dad, and all the others out there willing to give a little more oomph to getting something done.

Comment

That's why I have a six pound maul in the shed. Theoretically it was bought for sensible uses but it's also been used to take down small trees, excavate awkward roots and smash an old deck into splinters. As it turns out, I really shouldn't be trusted with any tool that can do that much damage.

Comment

Hammers are good for a lot of things, but one should always remember that "any problem on Earth can be solved with the proper application of high explosives."

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            ... but one should always remember that "any problem on Earth can be solved with the proper application of high explosives."
            If they're high enough, the problem will no longer be on Earth.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Kal View Post
              That's why I have a six pound maul in the shed.
              Added bonus to using one is you feel like Thor doing so.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                Added bonus to using one is you feel like Thor doing so.
                That is indeed a bonus. It's got all the benefits of huge, heavy hammer, with the added usefulness of huge, heavy, fairly blunt (even after I ground it down) axe blade. It didn't so much chop the tree down as convert sections of the trunk to splinters and sap until it eventually collapsed.

Comment

Some railways still require men to talk along them every week, carrying a sledgehammer and a *very* large spanner. These are respectively used to bash wooden wedges back into place and tighten the bolts on fishplates.

Other duties include moving the remains of unfortunate wildlife out of the way.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                    Hammers are good for a lot of things, but one should always remember that "any problem on Earth can be solved with the proper application of high explosives."
                    Don't forget the corollary - "Anything that can be blown up using 10 pounds of C4 can be blown up twice as well using 20 pounds of C4".
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Don't forget the corollary - "Anything that can be blown up using 10 pounds of C4 can be blown up twice as well using 20 pounds of C4".
                      and let us not forget that a nice BIG tractor trailer truck can do just fine also

and how about a nice high 200 ft. cliff??

a 10 pound sledgehammer is also nice and VERY satisfying. (YES I have anger issues )
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Part of the Mythbusters' Mantra-- "When in doubt-- C4!" (aka "Jamie Wants Big Boom.")
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          "Jamie Wants Big Boom."
                          Netflix has a compilation "season" of the MB's biggest booms, btw.

Comment

IMHO, the cement mixer and hot water heater explosions were the best.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              Netflix has a compilation "season" of the MB's biggest booms, btw.
                              Guess what "season" has been a permanent fixture in my Netflix queue since... two years ago?
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X