This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hook line and sinker...

So while browsing around for ideas for new adventure plots since my players blew up a village, and 3 acres of prime elven forest...~twitch~

I came across a really nifty idea someone was doing...called hook line and sinker.

Example: source
    Hook: The players are traveling through the wilderness when they come across a small town. The town is in a uproar about a giant lizard that has been scaring the local game.

Line: They offer the players a small reward to deal with this lizard. They offer more but they are a very poor town. The amount should be no more then 50 gp per player.

Sinker: It shouldn't be to hard for the players to find the lizard. The catch being it's not a lizard but instead a very young Dragon. It's only a few weeks old and was just having fun chasing the animals. It had no idea of the harm it was causing. To make things worse for the players the Dragon takes an immediate liking to one of the players and follows that player everywhere. What happens now is up to the players but they now have a very young Dragon who will follow them and knows nothing about the world (GM have fun with that).
    my players are now stranded on an uncharted island with no clue how they got there, and literally only the things they had on them in combat when the village got destroyed. They are all minorly injured both from repelling the attackers from said village, and the concussive force of the spell exploding unexpectedly in their faces.

Climate is HOT, think living in late fall New England, and being transported to Australia, mostly forested. They have no supplies, no clue to the local flora or fauna, and no clue where they are or how to get back.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

I have never GMed a game before, but I think I'm going to yoink that HLS idea. Though I'm thinking a very rainy climate for my folks. Mwuahahahaha

Comment

couple of fun things to note for my players doing this to me...
      1. all they know is they woke up in a dark cave with only the faint light source of an opening 30 feet ahead of them, and the cave goes deeper behind them.
      2. UNCHARTED ISLAND, first they need to figure out its an island (rather then just a mountain)
      3. unknown animals and plants, whats safe to eat? is there drinkable water? is there anything "human" living on the island.
      4. massive creature chases you down....friendly herbivore?
      5. and all important....how to get back home?
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
        5. and all important....how to get back home?
        To make it even more interesting (nastier?), could they be on another planet or in a different dimension?

Maybe a place with slightly different physical/magical laws?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

So the only thing I've said to my gaming group was that I finally have an idea for a short term campaign I'd like to run.

And they're clamoring for me to put it together and run it. We've been playing a lot of World of Darkness/White Wolf games, so it's kind of a 180 since I want to run something more DnD based.

I've asked another nerd friend to help me out with the prep work as I have absolutely no idea where to begin as I have never ever run a game before.

Hell, as a player in table top and my larps, I tend to just herp derp about and don't know most of the rules. (I have the absolute basics down and that's it.)

Comment

this whole thing will be a petty revenge on my players for through the entire CHAPTER of this story arc out the window, burning it, and pissing on the ashes.

first encounter of the story...they get through the fight, only lost a handful of villagers (they disappeared in a flash of light). they kill the wizard leading the attack, then INTENTIONALLY hit the glowy magic item that turned an orc's arm and torso into an Xray vision.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              So while browsing around for ideas for new adventure plots since my players blew up a village, and 3 acres of prime elven forest...~twitch~
              Been there, done that.

Not my fault! I swear! (stupid paladin with no understanding of magic.)
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

No, they attacked and obviously magic item, which caused a chain reaction that destroyed magic equipment that the orcs were weilding, within 10 feet of an active wizard's tower.

Comment

As I said, been there, done that.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm so glad my DM doesn't have magic items explode when they're destroyed (unless it's specifically designed to do that, like a staff of power). Things would have gone quite different when my kobold bard dropped that kobold-bane mace into the lava.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                      No, they attacked and obviously magic item, which caused a chain reaction that destroyed magic equipment that the orcs were weilding, within 10 feet of an active wizard's tower.
                      ... can I get a +99 on running shoes? Not Nikes, Hermes', the ones with the wings...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        To make it even more interesting (nastier?), could they be on another planet or in a different dimension?

Maybe a place with slightly different physical/magical laws?
                        Our DM pulled that on my group back in high school. We were pulled from [insert standard D&D-type world here] to the Earth of Robotech, during the Invid invasion (Third Robotech War). It was... interesting. Especially for the group's suddenly-powerless wizard and cleric.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        ... can I get a +99 on running shoes? Not Nikes, Hermes', the ones with the wings...
                        If you'd ever played the old DOS game DND from RO Software, you would know that they go up to +9999.
                        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                          ... go up to +9999.
                          Is that with the lucky rocketshit underoos?
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            No, but it went nicely with the +9999 Sword of "Why am I still playing this game?"
                            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              Sounds like those would be your UNLUCKY underoos - the ones that come with the "spoiled chili +5 of diarhea".
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X