This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school rant!

So I've got 5 classes total this semester....

English, Intro to communication, intro to theater, US history, and computer class..

We have had 3 major tests and 2 quizzes so far (scattered among these classes), I think the teachers do a good job of going over notes and whats on the tests...

So why do I hear kids complaining over and over again, even all out asking "Mr. (teacher), are you going to give us a study guide?"

My history teacher, after asking if we had any questions, and being asked if he was giving us a study guide said "Since when did study guides in College become vogue?!"
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Some profs supply one. My Econ prof did. Same one every year too. I literally skipped every class but test days because of that. I could get the guides from friends who had him earlier.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Only time I recall getting a study guide in college was for Anatomy and Physiology, and that class was largely "Here's a guide with what you need to know; there's the bio lab. Go figure it out yourself."
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Define study guide? Is it like York Notes or something for the class?

At my uni we had as standard A4 brochures as it were for each module. They contained a breakdown of what was to be in each lecture, details of the assignment(s) and their due dates, the book list and sometimes some photocopies of stuff to read. They were useful and needed, not really hand-holding.
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Yes, the reading assignments listed in the syllabus...you know how to read don't you?!

That's how one of my old Kingsfield wannabe profs would reply.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Yes, the reading assignments listed in the syllabus...you know how to read don't you?!
            Student with a learning disability: That's not funny! (in fact, if he knew that the student had a learning disability, he wouldn't make that joke in the first place!)

Aliterate Student: Yes, but too much reading hurts my head!

Aliteracy is different from illiteracy in that people who are aliterate know how to read, but don't. I suspect that many of our SCs are actually aliterate.
            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I got one for Biology 101, and none of my others. "This is what you're going to be expected to know"
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

It depends on the prof and the class, and what the want. Like I have had professors who wanted Page numbers in our answers during a closed book final. So they had to tell you EXACTLY what to study. So that you knew the pages numbers of the quotes, for the closed book final.

Most professors I have who offer study guides tend to make it just about the reading. "These are the chapters that you need to read for the midterm, the rest is what we lectured on in class." These things are often not related. Good way to make sure you do both your reading and come to class. I love those professors. There is something great about classes where the lecture and the reading are related but not the same thing.
                Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

"I already gave you guys a study guide. It's called your notes."

Man people are lazy. I didn't get one single study guide in college and it never even occurred to me to ask for one. The stupid, easy crap people complain about in college blew my mind.

-In my history class, halfway between each test, we'd have a map quiz on America at that time period. The EXACT SAME MAP would then be on the next test and be worth a third of the test. People actually bitched about it. Oh my God, it's free points on your test people. Dumb freshmen.

-The second time I took analytical chemistry, my teacher actually would give out small homework assignments. Some definitions, some problems to be solved. Nothing too time consuming. People complained about this too. I guess they just wanted three super hard tests and the final to be their grade with nothing to help soften the blow of those tests.

-In my Tai Chi class, you had to give a quick oral presentation on how Tai Chi is used to help people in general. Gotta find a study. I did one on how it helps drug users recover from their addiction by helping them relax. The presentations were MAYBE five minutes. The rest of your grade was basically just class participation. One small assignment the whole semester and people complained about it.

I could go on and on about the stupidity I experienced in school, but I'd be up so late typing I'd end up missing work which starts in nine hours.
                  "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post

-The second time I took analytical chemistry, my teacher actually would give out small homework assignments. Some definitions, some problems to be solved. Nothing too time consuming. People complained about this too. I guess they just wanted three super hard tests and the final to be their grade with nothing to help soften the blow of those tests.
                    This reminds me of a girl who was in my Astronomy class. She NEVER did the homework, ever. She rarely showed up for class, and she made it to every test. However, at the end of the year she failed the course. She could not figure out how this happened.
                    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

.. and yet she had a free study guide in the sky every clear night.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                      X