X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Tomato Sauce...

...is MIGHTY DELICIOUS!

Last Saturday we bought some roma tomatoes at a local farmer's market. So we made sauce...ended up with 4 cups of absolutely beautiful sauce, flavored with fresh basil from our garden. As a final touch my sister used a hand blender to make it less chunky. We tried some on homemade pizzas tonight with portabella mushrooms, a blend of 6 cheeses and Italian sausage. Soooooo good.....
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

My favorite thing to do with tomato sauce is sautee minced garlic in butter...then add it, butter and all, to the sauce. Yummy.

Comment

I do not buy tomato sauce. My personal recipe:

Take 2 globe Tomatoes and dice them up. (if skin and seeds are an issue you can skin them and seed them before dicing the pulp but is optional) Then puree the diced tomatoes until desired consistency using either a hand or table blender. This will become your base.

For meat sauces (ground meat or bacon pieces) sear the meat until browned and set aside.

Cook whatever vegetables you wish in the sauce until desired doneness. Then add meat (if any) and continue to heat until meat is warmed. Then add tomato puree and 1 tsp basil and 1 tsp oregano (fresh is ideal but dried will work) as well as 2 diced cloves of garlic (note, you can cook the garlic with the veggies to cut down on the bite but cook those last as they burn quickly) Stir all ingredients together until sauce is desired thickness. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta of your choice.

For Pizza sauce I just do not put in meat or veggies for the sauce apart from the garlic and herbs and leave it fairly runny, then refrigerate. At 1/2 hour before making the pizza I bring it out to warm it slightly and spread a thin layer on the dough.

(These work with caned tomatoes as well but do not salt them. Canned veggies have salt in as a preserving agent and do not need additional salt)

YUM!
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
      X