X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Grooming/Cost Question

Hey all,

My mom has a very long haired Sheltie that she takes to a specific shop, to a specific girl to get groomed.

Mom has been ill, so I took her today and picked her up. Mom went with me. The bill was $68.00 US and mom gave the groomer a $20.00 tip.

I come from a fairly well tipping family, but is that a little high? The groomer is great and Shelties are a long haired, pain-in-the-ass breed to groom..but it still seems high.

Any opinions? I'm in the south now (pretty small-ish town), if that matters.

I'm asking because Im thinking of taking my dog to her and I hope she doesn't expect 20.00 tips from me, being the same family. I'm a good tipper, but my dog is very short haired.

Also, some of you may find this amusing: My dad helps out with errands too, but he's banned from *this* particular errand because my mom thinks he'd have a stroke when he saw the bill and (I'd also assume) how much she tips. This made me pretty hard, but I do understand it.
    Last edited by Peppergirl; 09-25-2013, 06:40 PM.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

It honestly depends on what your mom is having the groomer do to the dog. (That sounds dirty...)

Do you mean the bill looks too high or the tip? Because for the bill it looks to fall within the average of what I see. (Again, it really depends on what kind of "package" your mom is purchasing for the dog.)

The high tip might be because her dog is not just a pain in the ass to groom due to hair length/quality, but also because her dog might just be a little tart when its being groomed.

I wouldn't tip $20 for either of my dogs (because I know both of them are very easy to groom and have easy coats to groom) but if I had to pay for someone to groom one particular dog I know from the daycare I work at, $20 would be right on the spot.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I tip pretty well when it comes to grooming my dog Carmen. She's a Pitbull/Chowchow mix and while she is a short hair dog she's NERVOUS about baths. LOVES the aftermath. Hates the actual bath itself. I don't think I've tipped more than $10 though.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Agree with AmbrosiaWriter and Evil Queen: it depends on what's being done and the dog's temperament while it's being done. The front desk person at the vet-I-almost-used said they did groom cats but if the cat needed a sedative, that would cost $133. (I almost needed a sedative after that ...)

But yeah, if I had a longhaired pet that needed a fair amount of work (which I assume your Mom's dog does, as you've characterized it as a PITA to groom ...) I would definitely tip higher. With your shorthair, no, I wouldn't feel compelled to tip as much, especially if yours is also placid and takes well to being groomed.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, all.

Mom's dog is a weirdo in addition to be a long-haired PITA to groom. Im sure that reflects in the really high tip.

I'll make an appointment for my short-haired, who is also a sweetie.

What's a proper tip for groomers? 20 percent?
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

20% is what I see the most in terms of groomers who do good jobs. Near the holidays it's tends to bloat a little bit, or if it was a short term notice thing that occurred.
            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

When I would take mine in for a coat blow out I would tip close to 50% because of the amount of work.

Normal grooms were only 20%.

Comment

Working...
              X