This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shining...

I picked up the book at Walmart (only $6, little paperback) thinking it would be a great gift for Al's mom.

But then I peeked inside.

Then I bought it for myself (with intent to regift it to her for Christmas when I am done).

I'm told that it's a good intro to Stephen King, whose work I've never read before.

Is it?

I was hesitant -- horror movies tend to bore me, so I've grown to hate the genre. Maybe Stephen King can help change that.
    Last edited by Tama; 09-27-2013, 10:16 AM.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

It's the only thing of his I've re-read, so that counts for something. May or may not "scare" you, but will give you the creeps. And if you HAVE seen the movie (I'm with you, I find most of the genre boring, but Jack rules, so...) be prepared for fairly major plot differences; more so than almost any other King book-to-screen.

Comment

I have seen the movie, and found it rather interesting. Jack is the best! Although it was a bit weird, seeing him younger...

Anyway, I don't remember too many plot things (aside from his drinking and going nuts and the kid being a big part and so forth). I tend to hate movies that are different from the book, so going in reverse should be a small treat.
      Last edited by Tama; 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM.
      My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

"No TV and no beer make Homer something something."
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

"Go crazy?"
          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

If it helps, I've also found most people like "The Stand" and "It" by King. He's got some great characters in those.

Plus, The Stand is terrifying if you start getting the sniffles while reading it.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

King's stories do tend to get prosaic; if you're easily bored,you may wind up abandoning the book. His short-stories are faster-paced.

Comment

It's a very good book, heavily influenced by Shirley Jackson's classic novel The Haunting of Hill House. King used the real Stanley Hotel in Colorado as a model for his fictional Overlook Hotel (the Stanley is haunted, by the way). It has the usual "evil female" character so common of his early work, and at times you really want to smack one or both of the parents, but it's very scary and a good read.

Comment

The Shining The Stand and Salem's Lot are my favorite books by King. Actually fully got me into horror type movies.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                    "Go crazy?"
                    Don't mind if I do! BLALALALALALA!!!
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I think what bored me about horror movies is their reliance on screaming and gore and the usual crap. You guys make it sound quite interesting.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        Plus, The Stand is terrifying if you start getting the sniffles while reading it.
                        My Dad got a cold halfway though reading The Stand It made it creepier
                        Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          The Stand is absolutely my favorite Stephen King book and I would recommend it to anyone as a first-time King book. The first time I read it I developed a cold towards the end and I was like OH SHIT OH SHIT IT'S HAPPENING WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

I also recommend one of his newer ones, Under the Dome.

Comment

So after I finish the Shining, which do you think would be a good second?

The Stand, or what? I won't say Salem's Lot, as...well, I just don't like vampires at this point. I wasn't a fan of the hedonist ones of Anne Rice's, or the Joss Whedon ones...etc.

Then again I didn't like horror and I was intrigued by just a few sentences from The Shining...
                            Last edited by Tama; 09-28-2013, 02:47 AM.
                            My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

My introduction to Stephen King was actually by reading "The Green Mile." In its original, serialized format. I was away at school, and saw it at the library. I picked it up, enjoyed it, and worked my way through that entire book, and then through most of the rest of the library's Stephen King collection.

"The Stand" remains my favorite, but I do love the "Dark Tower" series.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X