This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween

Happy Halloween/Blessed Samhain, everyone!

We went out for coffee this afternoon and I kept a list of the costumes, etc., that we saw on the street or in the coffee shop. Mind you, in that part of town some of these outfits might be seen any day of the year

- Gumby
    - 2 1920's flappers
    - A group of joggers that included a shirtless guy wearing a pink tutu, a guy in an orange morphsuit, another shirtless guy with a sword (couldn't see the rest of his outfit)
    - a guy in a long black tunic and a very long blue & white wig
    - A girl wearing ram's horns
    - A guy in a regular suit, complete with tie, over a white morphsuit
    - A guy dressed as a cow

Plus assorted people sporting fake beads, red or black capes, or carrying props like swords, brooms, etc.

Anyone else see any really good costumes?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Sadly it rained buckets today and we had very few trick or treaters. We have 3 gallon bags of candy left over. One goes to the lab, two in the freezer.

I've seen loads of great costumes on Reddit, including Patrick Stewart in a lobster costume. Many people (including my friend) went as Walter from Breaking Bad this year.

I always let my son choose who we will be. This year he was Kirby and I was Prince Fluff (from the game Kirby's Epic Yarn).

Other than that we didn't really see any costumes, even though we went to the comic book store and everything today.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      I always let my son choose who we will be. This year he was Kirby and I was Prince Fluff (from the game Kirby's Epic Yarn).
      Pics?

My boyfriend's workplace had face painting provided for its staff. One of our friends got his face painted as a werewolf and my boyfriend got a scratch down one cheek.

ETA: Boyfriend works for an ISP btw
      Last edited by fireheart; 11-01-2013, 05:14 AM.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

We had someone come into my class today (only have one, yay!) dressed as some sort of zombie-psycho-killer. Whoever it was just lurched about for three full hours, never speaking. As there were a lot of absences as well, people were having a lot of fun trying to figure out who it was (couldn't even tell gender; the costume included a full-face mask with a wig of grey, straggling hair).

Comment

Didn't see any really except for when I was handing out candy.......best ones I noticed were Gandalf and Princess Meridia (think that's how it's spelled).

Comment

My son originally wanted to go as the Witch King from Lord Of The Rings. I quickly put the kibosh on that because a) we cannot afford $130 for a costume! and b) I cannot make that myself. He then wanted to go as Harry Potter. That costume, I could make! And did. Got a black graduation gown and red necktie from Goodwill, a Gryffindor badge from eBay, the prop glasses and wand I'd bought on clearance a few years ago (had a feeling he'd want them!), loaned him Daddy's dress shirt, and painted on the scar with makeup. Voila! Everyone said he looked exactly like Harry!

Me, I made myself a pirate costume. Shirt was Simplicity 3758 (a pattern I had no end of problems with..."simplicity" my arse!), bodice was Simplicity 3677 with minor modifications, hat, boot toppers and sword from Son's last year's pirate costume. Sashes are super easy to make. Got lots of compliments on it.

Took son trick-or-treating through the apartment complex. For all the apartment patios decked out for Halloween, surprisingly few apartments had the orange "Trick Or Treaters Welcome" signs on the door. And surprisingly few kids out trick-or-treating as well. People handing out candy were very generous; probably expected more than they got and didn't want too much candy left over. They even gave me candy, even though I was just accompanying my son!
            Last edited by XCashier; 11-01-2013, 04:55 AM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I worked, and one of our customers was a daisy. She had on a long green dress and flower hood. It was the cutest.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

It started raining around 8PM or so, which squashed a lot of treaters, but I had a decent turnout. 18 in all I think.

The local neighbourhood seems to slowly becoming aware of the condos I live in and are starting to hit them up. Plus we're getting more kids in the 80 units we have so that's acting like a magnet. Hopefully the weather will be better next year. (And I'll probably look to get more lights to try and lure them in.

Comment

My mother took my kids to an event Saturday night while I was still in Key West (I hadn't planned on being there that night, but my car broke down). She didn't take pictures. My youngest son was a truck driver. We'd modified his old wheelchair by welding mirrors off a 1960's pick up truck to the sides and old fence posts to the back (for the exhaust stacks), and hubcaps from a small car to the wheels, and then put a large box around the Mastiff so he looked like a semi trailer. My older two got lazy and wore their ratty clothes and called themselves hobos.

I wasn't out much yesterday, and I have no neighbors, so I didn't see very many others.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

We wound up going to the mall's trick or treating and it sucked. The trick or treat time for the mall was from 5-7 p.m. DH waited until 4:45 to tell me he'd rather go there than go outside. The kids hadn't eaten dinner yet, and refused to eat the chili I made. So I made them sandwiches, then we put their costumes on and left at 5:15.

We were going to stop at Caribou Coffee first since they had a buy one get one free deal. Traffic sucked horribly on the way there, it's an area with a lot of businesses and yuppies, plus with the rain and it being a holiday made things worse. Then we drive around for a minute looking for the place and find out it went out of business.

I told DH to call the mall before we hit the highway to find out if it was even worth our time to go. So he did, and he said it should be fine, they've had a huge turn out of a couple thousand kids. I told him I thought it was going to take too long to get there, considering the mall was over 20 miles away and we'd already run into traffic problems. Plus the crowds sounded huge and by the time we got there I didn't think the kids would have much time to trick or treat and probably wouldn't receive much. But he still insisted on going to the damn mall and said that I was just being pessimistic and the guy at the mall probably overestimated the number of kids.

So we hit the highway and ran into major traffic plus there was construction in the area. It took around 45 minutes to an hour to get there. The kids were constantly fighting, yelling, and giving us attitude about everything. The older two kids finally gave up, while the baby tried his best to escape from his car seat.

Then we get to the mall around 6:30 and the crowds were huge with tons of kids walking out with empty looking buckets. But we went inside. 3/4ths of the stores either weren't giving out candy or they had run out. We took the kids around the mall, for the last 30 minutes. The lines were huge and several stores ran out of candy while there were kids still in line. The kids got maybe 10 pieces of candy , a sticker or two and a glow stick.

DHtook their trick or treat buckets away once we got to the car, and they threw a fit because they wanted to do more trick or treating and eat their candy. We stopped at the Dollar Tree and bought a couple bags of stuff and let them have some of that on the way home. Then since David insisted on this whole huge disaster I made him put the kids to bed and bring the dogs in (he insisted on taking them outside and leaving them out while it was raining), and I took a 2 hour nap before I had to get up and go to work.

Our oldest son who is 5, went as a robot, our daughter who is 3 insisted on being a dragon, and the baby who is a little over a year and a half dressed up as a frog (his stuffed frog is his favorite animal).
                    Last edited by boringscreenname; 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

We had about 3 dozen trick-or-treaters. Lots of princesses, witches, vampires, and ghouls (kids in generic, scary face paint). The one that sticks out the most is the one Duck Dynasty kid (camo outfit and big gray and white beard).
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Pics?
                        There is a picture in this thread:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...costume&page=5

We are not wearing them in the picture but they were basically big sandwich boards with our heads peeking over the top.
                        Last edited by AnaKhouri; 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM.
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I live in Central Indiana and they were forcasting severe thunderstorms and record setting rain, so trick-or-treat was postponed to tonite. Checked the rain gauge and it showed 3.25 inches.
                          "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

As usual, we had no trick-or-treaters. However, since yesterday was one of my days to go running at the campus rec center, I stopped at the student center. The main hallway there was set up with tables and some of the clubs were handing out candy. I raided them for their various chocolatey offerings.

The costumes I saw:
                            • A cowboy, complete with everything except pistols
                            • Jessie from Toy Story
                            • A yeti
                            • A chicken (as in 'dude was wearing a full chicken suit)
                            • Three astronauts
                            • Korra from Legend of Korra
                            • Maleficent
                            • Marie Antoinette
                            • A ladybug

The highlight of the night, though, was having a brief Skype session with my sister. She dressed my nephew up in the most adorable lobster costume. It had googly eyes and floppy duck-like feet.

After that, I watched the 2-hour special of Ghost Adventures, had some candy, and called it a night at about 2 AM.
                            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
                            X