Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought I Was Going To A Business Meeting...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I Was Going To A Business Meeting...

Apparently I wasn't. Oh, I was so very wrong. And now I have a bizarre situation on my hands.

Background: I've been looking for a new second job, as the last second job didn't work out at all. I've been having problems getting said new second job, as it's no easy task finding a place that needs someone only one or two shifts a week. As I've made it clear to everyone I've talked to, I have no intention of leaving The Bar. I've been there almost seven years, they've been very good to me, I have a set schedule, I get requests for time off pretty much whenever I want them, and I make good money. I've told management at The Bar on multiple occasions that I will leave there when they fire me or I move back to Arizona, whichever comes first. And, as I told one restaurant manager, I'm 43 and enjoy my life, and have no desire or intention of working seven days a week. Not. Happening.

So...a woman's been frequenting my bar, and I've been chatting with her, as we're both friendly people, and she happens to be the daughter of one of our regulars, a great guy who owns a great local business. She mentioned to me on Friday something to the effect of her having or starting a video production company, and I half-jokingly said that if she needed a sound guy, I'd be up for it. She seemed interested, but as I was busy as hell and running around at about Mach 2 behind the bar, we exchanged numbers and decided to meet and discuss things at a time when I wasn't working. She got in touch with me the next day, Saturday, and we agreed to meet Sunday at 1:00 pm for lunch and drinks, and to discuss the aforementioned topic.

That's the background.

I was excited because this seemed like a good chance at the second job that I'd been looking for, and it wasn't a bar. I hadn't worked with video or sound equipment in probably 20 years, other than DJing at some bars, but I was a broadcasting major, and all modesty aside, I do have some talent in that area. And this seemed like a nice change of pace.

Silly Jester. What was I thinking?

As I was heading to the meeting, I got a text from her that a mutual female friend of ours would be joining us. I found that a bit unusual, but this being Key West, I wasn't that out off, as things are done a bit differently down here. And honestly, while I was looking at this as a potential unofficial job interview, I was showing up in casual clothes, shorts and a t-shirt.

So I get to the bar we'd agreed to meet at, she showed up, and shortly thereafter our mutual friend showed up. We got some beers and some food, and there was some small talk. And after a bit, I tried to steer the conversation to the job, only to be deflected. "We'll talk about that later." What the hell?

In short order, I came to a few realizations.
    --She did not have a production company, she worked for her friend's.
    --She did not live here, but was visiting. She lives in another state.
    --She was not offering me a job, but was offering me a couple small pieces of advice for if I wanted to pursue doing sound work for local companies. Not much I didn't know, and not at all what I thought we were there for.

So, what were we there for? Well, as time went on, and more beers were consumed, it became clear what she was there for. It wasn't business. She spent the majority of the time flirting with me and hitting on me. Two problems with this. First, while she is a very nice person, I am in no way attracted to her. To be fair, it was flattering, but then we come to the second problem. To wit, I felt like I had been brought there under false pretenses. It's possible I had misunderstood her, sure, but I felt deceived.

After taking my leave of the two ladies and joining a friend at another bar, I recounted the encounter to her, which was cause for much amusement on her part. I was starting to think that perhaps I had inferred too much from the woman's actions, until she started testing me with "miss you already" type texts. Holy hell. Naturally, my friend found this hilarious.

Now, I'm a nice guy, and I'll be nice to this woman, who I know will be in my bar again, because she's a nice person and her dad's a regular and a great guy, but man did my day get turned on its head in a hurry. I mean, I may be a bit of a man whore at times--I admit it--but I'm not a guy that will sleep with just anyone, thank you very much. And if there's no attraction, there's no attraction.

Good news: she's only in town for another week. Bad news: she's in town for another week.

So I'm now trying to dodge a woman that I have no attraction to, and I still don't have a second job. Yeah, I know...first world problems. But still....ugh.

On the bright side, HOW ABOUT THOSE SUN DEVILS?!?!?!?!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Of course she was hitting on you! Who wouldn't? You're sweet, funny, good looking....oh, wait. That wasn't you. That's the tall guy you work with. The one who makes the kick ass rum runners. Never mind. *ducking from the flying tomatoes*

I believe that the rest of this week warrants a large batch of popcorn and several bottles of rum. I can't wait for updates!

At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

OK, weird, but...why was the second woman there?

Or am I missing something....
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Your guess is as good as mine. As I said, she's a mutual friend of both me and my would be paramour, but there was nothing untoward about her being there. No suggestions, for instance, of a threesome, as one of my friends asked, since the other woman is retired, in her sixties, and, well, I don't know what she does or has done in her private life, so I don't know that she's not into that, but she doesn't seem the type, and there was no indication that that was where Miss Would Be was heading, so I have no freakin' clue.

The whole thing's been very strange.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          Of course she was hitting on you! Who wouldn't? You're sweet, funny, good looking....oh, wait.
          I have always tended to go for the nice guys - the real 'pretty boys' usually have ego issues. Give me the whole guy next door kind of cute, good sense of humor, shoulder to cry on occasionally and fun to hang out with any day. You know, someone you can actually have a relationship with. I could have had a command track officer, I picked Rob - enlisted scum, but a hell of a stand up guy.
          Quoth MoonCat View Post
          OK, weird, but...why was the second woman there?

Or am I missing something....
          Wing man ... er woman.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            I have always tended to go for the nice guys - the real 'pretty boys' usually have ego issues. Give me the whole guy next door kind of cute, good sense of humor, shoulder to cry on occasionally and fun to hang out with any day. You know, someone you can actually have a relationship with. I could have had a command track officer, I picked Rob - enlisted scum, but a hell of a stand up guy.
            Oh, I'm not gonna argue with you on that point. I was just teasing Jester. He's all of those things and then some. He'll make some woman a fine husband one day.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

She tricked you into a date and brought along another person??? Who does that?

Comment

It was not a date. I don't think she even thought that.

More details tomorrow...gotta get going and get to work, and tonight is the PAC-12 Championship Game, so I'll be occupied with that. But I'll probably update this over the next day or two.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                X